• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Plan for the #7 Pick

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade the damn thing. If at all possible, make a play at Love with it.

1) Trade #7 pick to Minnesota for Love, and the 40th or 44th pick in 2nd Round (they have 3 second round picks so one of them shouldn't be that difficult to acquire);

2) We may have to throw some other minor piece in the mix to get Love and a mid-second... fine;

3) With the 2nd Round pick, we take Isiah Austin. Guy's ceiling is way too high to pass up in the 2nd Round. 7'1 who averaged more than 3 blocks per game.

4) Re-sign either Hill or Gasol to solidify depth at center

Farmar
Kobe
Deng/Melo
Love
Gasol/Austin

Thoughts?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Minnesota might listen to the #7 pick. Nobody ahead of us is going to offer their pick for Love. #7 is probably the highest they will get.

If I'm Minnesota and I know I'm going to lose Love regardless, I'm kinda happy about getting both the #7 and #13 picks this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's at all possible to get Love for it, i'm 100% with you.

But with the lineup you mentioned I don't think we'll have enough cap space to re-sign Gasol. Especially not if Melo or Deng joins the team too

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Melo or Deng for a number of reasons. If we trade the pick it should be for Love only and some second rounders.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng made almost $14.3m last year. I'd like to have him on the team but only for a heavy discount.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng made almost $14.3m last year. I'd like to have him on the team but only for a heavy discount.

That's what I've been saying. He's not looking for a paycut. This is really his last chance to get paid big. I wouldn't want to blow a lot of cap space on him. He's got a ton of mileage on his body to this point.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a #7 pick is enough for Love. Any chance at trading for him will have to involve a 3rd team and Pau (S&T).

The Lakers could still potentially get something for Pau. If the contending team he wants to go to doesn't have the cap space, I'd like to think that he would agree to a S&T.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a #7 pick is enough for Love. Any chance at trading for him will have to involve a 3rd team and Pau (S&T).

The Lakers could still potentially get something for Pau. If the contending team he wants to go to doesn't have the cap space, I'd like to think that he would agree to a S&T.

I think the Wolves are placing too high a value on him if they don't want the #7 pick, imo. They have very little bargaining power at this point. He is gone. They can get another young dynamic PF with the #7 pick (i.e. Vonleh, Randle, Gordon).

Lakers are on the short list of teams that Love will sign with. Unless Boston wants to offer #6 and another piece (which I highly doubt) then #7 might be their best option.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My plan would be to sign Marcus Smart as a PG if Exum doesn't miraculously fall to 7.

Re-sign Hill as the starting Center.

Try and do a sign and trade with Gasol for expiring contracts to a team in the hunt for a ring. I will look at contracts later to see who is out there and on a team who might want to trade.

I would also sign bargain players to 1 year deals. My hope would be Love not getting traded and becoming a FA and going to the Lakers that way.

My team would look something like this without the gasol trade

PG
Smart, Farmar(1 year deal), Marshall, Nash (I hope Nash retires or is traded or is injured for the year before training camp)

SG
Kobe, Brooks, Bazemore (1 year deal)

SF/PF
3 SF and 2 PF who each get bellow $1mill/year for 1 year. Henry, Kelly

C
Hill, Sacre (1 year deal) and a tweener PF/C who gets about minimum slary for 1 year.

And for god sakes no more trading first round picks like candy. That is the reason the Lakers are in this mess to begin with. After the Gasol and Nash trade the Lakers had no decent roll players or bench players cause they traded away the picks where those players come from.

Granted they won 2 rings with Pau, but they gave up a lot to do it. Marc Gasol in particular.

I would almost treat this team as an expansion team in its first year. I also would realize that this upcoming year is a total waste and the only thing that can come out of it is experience for Smart.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we looking to draft a PG when we have Nash and Marshall on the books already and are looking to re-sign Farmar? We don't need 4 point guards.

We should be looking to boost the positions we're weak in, particularly at the 3, 4 and 5 spot.

Pau will want too much money and Hill we only stay if we offer him a bigger role.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle is a beast. I really like him. I would take him in a heart beat.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hizzle you beat me to it, because I was about to make a thread somewhat similar to this. First, we're not getting Love with the 7 pick, because there's too many better offers out there. Boston wants him as well and they have better assests and a higher pick at 6. NOW I ran across a couple of interesting articles on twitter. 1 that gave me hope, and 1 that almost made me throw up. Pretty sure you can guess which is which....

NOW, it is been known for months now, that Exum would RATHER be picked by the Lakers, but he backed off of his stance at the combine. The only way he MAY drop, is if he makes a big stink out of this...and only working out for us is a START. However, some team is more than likely to call his bluff imo.

and then there's this rumor...

There's alot of sources or whatnot running with this rumor(nobody like Woj. or anything)...all I gotta say is, I don't believe it. Surely they can't be that crazy

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know you miss out on the top shelf players 1 thru 4, but I wish I knew the depth of the NBA draft. #7 or virtually nothing in a year?

#7 sounds pretty good.

Love/Gasol...You're right that it's either or...not both.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade prop:

Lakers give up:
7th overall
Jordan Hill

Timberwolves give up:
13th overall
Kevin Love

Sixers give up:
3rd Overall
Thaddeus Young

Lakers get:
Kevin Love

Timberwolves get:
3rd Overall- Take Embiid
Thaddeus Young
Jordan Hill

Sixers get:
7th overall- Take best PF on board(Aaron Gordon or Noah Vonleh)
13th overall- Take best SF on the board(Rodney Hood or James Young)

Trade gives Lakers a Vet to compete, and resign for post Kobe era.
Timberwolves get a new big man to replace Love, with a good SF, and backup center.
Sixers with 10th overall pick take Gary Harris or Staukus. Giving a starting lineup of MCW, Harris or Staukus, Hood or Young, Vonleh or Gordon, and Nerlens Noel.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My plan would be to sign Marcus Smart as a PG if Exum doesn't miraculously fall to 7.

Re-sign Hill as the starting Center.

Try and do a sign and trade with Gasol for expiring contracts to a team in the hunt for a ring. I will look at contracts later to see who is out there and on a team who might want to trade.

I would also sign bargain players to 1 year deals. My hope would be Love not getting traded and becoming a FA and going to the Lakers that way.

My team would look something like this without the gasol trade

PG
Smart, Farmar(1 year deal), Marshall, Nash (I hope Nash retires or is traded or is injured for the year before training camp)

SG
Kobe, Brooks, Bazemore (1 year deal)

SF/PF
3 SF and 2 PF who each get bellow $1mill/year for 1 year. Henry, Kelly

C
Hill, Sacre (1 year deal) and a tweener PF/C who gets about minimum slary for 1 year.

And for god sakes no more trading first round picks like candy. That is the reason the Lakers are in this mess to begin with. After the Gasol and Nash trade the Lakers had no decent roll players or bench players cause they traded away the picks where those players come from.

Granted they won 2 rings with Pau, but they gave up a lot to do it. Marc Gasol in particular.

I would almost treat this team as an expansion team in its first year. I also would realize that this upcoming year is a total waste and the only thing that can come out of it is experience for Smart.

Where is Nick Young on your SG list ? :noidea:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately with Hill, the Lakers would have to do a sign and trade because Hill is presently a FA.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't believe the Lakers can trade their 1st round pick without getting a 1st round pick in return.

As for trading Pau, Hill or anyone not currently under contract, it would have to be a sign THEN trade, not a sign AND trade.

The difference? The Lakers would have to re-sign them as if they fully intend to keep them and then work on trading them. I don't see where a team would do a sign and trade when they can just them as FA's.

Last edited by a moderator: