• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My nomination for the most underated White Sox career

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maglio Ordonez - the guy hardly gets a mention in White Sox circles, but he put up very good consistent numbers every year. They could use him this season.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good choice. He was a pretty damn good hitter during his tenure with the team. Hated to see him leave and hated to see him sign with a division rival.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People really didn't like Magglio much, if I recall. Especially after he went to Detroit. He was also overshadowed by Frank during much of his time here.

He also was more of a high average/OBP/doubles hitter during the height of the steroid era when the long ball was where it was at. His best season in 2007 in Detroit. He slashed .363/.434/.595 winning the batting title. But he only hit 28 HR's and got slaughtered in MVP voting by A-Rod who hit 54 HR's while he drove in 156.

It probably also hurt his HR numbers going to Detroit just after they built Comerica Park and it was even bigger than it is now. And it's still massive to the power alleys and CF. He never hit 30 HR's again.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
richi: "People really didn't like Magglio much"

Jiddy: "OOOOO WEEEE OOOOOOHHHH....*tongue comes out and face shakes rapidly* "MAAAAAAAAAGLIIOOOOOO"

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
richi: "People really didn't like Magglio much"

Jiddy: "OOOOO WEEEE OOOOOOHHHH....*tongue comes out and face shakes rapidly* "MAAAAAAAAAGLIIOOOOOO"
Yeah, not sure where richi came up with that. Maybe he meant after Maggs left and sure, he goes to a heated division rival, it only stands to reason. But during his tenure with the Sox, he might have been second only to the Big Hurt in fan popularity. His key average stats for his 5 prime years with the Sox - '99-'03:

Avg: .312
HR: 32
RBI: 118
RS: 102

How is THAT not popular? Those are borderline superstar numbers.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not sure where richi came up with that. Maybe he meant after Maggs left and sure, he goes to a heated division rival, it only stands to reason. But during his tenure with the Sox, he might have been second only to the Big Hurt in fan popularity. His key average stats for his 5 prime years with the Sox - '99-'03:

Avg: .312
HR: 32
RBI: 118
RS: 102

How is THAT not popular? Those are borderline superstar numbers.

Wasn't there some stuff about Magglio that came out about him being a raging prick later on?

I liked Magglio, but I swear I didn't dream that. lol. Maybe I am confusing him with somebody else. That's a while ago now. I definitely do remember that he became a bit of a villain with the Tigers when that team got good.

Regardless, I stand by the rest of my assertions in the post. lol. I think he was largely just overshadowed by Frank, that he didn't hit a ton of HR's in a home run crazed time period and that he left before we almost immediately won the WS. That will make a guy fade into the backdrop a bit.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mags was definitely overshadowed by Thomas (everyone would be). Signing with the Tiggers didn't help his legacy.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know why anyone* took issue with ordonez for this category. he IS no doubt underrated as a sox player. i have a few i could add who imo fit the description as well. i didn't go back beyond '70 because most here wouldn't know the players:

Jorge Orta – 2nd baseman – 8 years (‘70’s) hardly anyone remembers him and he was one of our best second basemen. Hit .300 a couple times, was an all star, .281 lifetime for the sox, 21+ war in 8 years (4.9 in ‘74). (also one of my all time favs)

Lamar Johnson, 1st baseman – 8 years mid ‘70s to early 80’s, hit .291 (over .300 4 times),

Britt Burns, P – 8 years - late 70’s to mid 80’s, 80-70, (18-11 in final year with the sox),was an all star, got r.o.y. and cy young votes.

James Baldwin, P – 7 years mid 90’s to early 00’s, 69-53, was an all star, 2nd for r.o.y. in ’96.

*guess who

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't there some stuff about Magglio that came out about him being a raging prick later on?

not surprisingly your memory sucks. the only 'issues' he had with detroit was his injuries. he DID have an ongoing problem with guillen, however, and it's the main reason the sox traded him ...... and it's GUILLEN who was the prick!

interesing tidbit ... maggs is now the mayor of Sotillo, Venezuela.

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not surprisingly your memory sucks. the only 'issues' he had with detroit was his injuries. he DID have an ongoing problem with guillen, however. it's the main reason the sox traded him ...... and it's GUILLEN who was the prick!

My long-term memory is actually pretty awesome. At any given point mid-baseball season, I can name every single teams rotation and starting lineup (including platoon players). I can name every Bears game in order going back to 2001 (and get the majority of final scores correct, on the nose). I can name the White Sox record and lineup/rotation every year going back to 2000. I can still name my ancient old little league scores.

It looks like I was wrong on this one, though. Hey, no one is perfect (I'm just close). I think I'm more recalling Magglio becoming a White Sox killer after he left.

i don't know why anyone* took issue with ordonez for this category.

I'm reading through the page trying to find who took issue with Magglio for the category. I can't find a single person.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My long-term memory is actually pretty awesome. At any given point mid-baseball season, I can name every single teams rotation and starting lineup (including platoon players). I can name every Bears game in order going back to 2001 (and get the majority of final scores correct, on the nose). I can name the White Sox record and lineup/rotation every year going back to 2000. I can still name my ancient old little league scores.

hey! me too! just ask me!

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some irony in the fact that nobody would put The Big Hurt on this list. During his playing tenure, he consistently felt underrated not only because of mediots like Mariotti pulling the "Big Skirt/ This guy will never win the championship" card on him-but also that most of his peers in that era were big time roiders...and man that french fried him that they got all the love. He is feeling the Karma big time for sure with some of those not getting into the HOF while he does.

Time forgives things...but I've never seen a White Sox player dogged so hard mainly because of all the dickfacery around him.

I mean, the dude even had the second rate marketing gig with his shoes being Reebok Pumps...And yes, yours truly had them...They were like concrete blocks on your feet. lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some irony in the fact that nobody would put The Big Hurt on this list. During his playing tenure, he consistently felt underrated not only because of mediots like Mariotti pulling the "Big Skirt/ This guy will never win the championship" card on him-but also that most of his peers in that era were big time roiders...and man that french fried him that they got all the love. He is feeling the Karma big time for sure with some of those not getting into the HOF while he does.

Time forgives things...but I've never seen a White Sox player dogged so hard mainly because of all the dickfacery around him.

I mean, the dude even had the second rate marketing gig with his shoes being Reebok Pumps...And yes, yours truly had them...They were like concrete blocks on your feet. lol

Marrioti is a cock, though. I don't think he's an accurate reflection of the Chicago fan-base. In fact, his whole bit was that he was going to be an outrageously arrogant contrarian. Especially with that take. People hate him in Chicago for articles and opinions just like that one.

You make a point about the roiders around him getting all of the national attention during a good period of time, though. If he was slighted? I think it was more by the national media than by our own fan-base. We loved Frank. I loved watching him have a massive season for Oakland just after leaving here too.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I liked Magglio, but I swear I didn't dream that. lol. Maybe I am confusing him with somebody else. That's a while ago now. I definitely do remember that he became a bit of a villain with the Tigers when that team got good.

Regardless, I stand by the rest of my assertions in the post. lol. I think he was largely just overshadowed by Frank, that he didn't hit a ton of HR's in a home run crazed time period and that he left before we almost immediately won the WS. That will make a guy fade into the backdrop a bit.
I don't remember him being disliked anywhere. Always thought he was mild mannered and somewhat quiet.

Also assume he was a full on roider the whole time he was in Detroit. Which has never bothered me.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know why anyone* took issue with ordonez for this category. he IS no doubt underrated as a sox player. i have a few i could add who imo fit the description as well. i didn't go back beyond '70 because most here wouldn't know the players:

Jorge Orta – 2nd baseman – 8 years (‘70’s) hardly anyone remembers him and he was one of our best second basemen. Hit .300 a couple times, was an all star, .281 lifetime for the sox, 21+ war in 8 years (4.9 in ‘74). (also one of my all time favs)

Lamar Johnson, 1st baseman – 8 years mid ‘70s to early 80’s, hit .291 (over .300 4 times),

Britt Burns, P – 8 years - late 70’s to mid 80’s, 80-70, (18-11 in final year with the sox),was an all star, got r.o.y. and cy young votes.

James Baldwin, P – 7 years mid 90’s to early 00’s, 69-53, was an all star, 2nd for r.o.y. in ’96.

*guess who

Pretty good list. Thanks

Lance Johnson "One Dog" was under appreciated during and after his career.

Jim Spencer elevated his game a couple of tiers with the 77 hit men.

Lee May - was possibly on his way to greatness when he lost his thumb in reserve training.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good list. Thanks

Lance Johnson "One Dog" was under appreciated during and after his career.

Jim Spencer elevated his game a couple of tiers with the 77 hit men.

Lee May - was possibly on his way to greatness when he lost his thumb in reserve training.
you mean carlos. yes i strongly considered him but that was when he first started out ... he turned out pretty good anyway and i'm thinking he was appreciated after that.