• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My mom just got scammed....

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no, it wasn't by Jed.....

Someone called her from the credit card "fraud" department and claimed there were a couple of suspect internet charges to her debit card and got her to verify her debit card number, 3 digit code on the back, last four of her social, mothers maiden name.......:L

Luckily, she called me immediately after that and I cancelled her debit card......she's worried about identity theft, but I talked to my sister and we don't think that is enough info to try and open up any new credit.....

So phishing scams are now being done over the telephone.....she said there were two of them.....one woman "transferred" her to the fraud department to the other woman.....I asked my mom if there were clicking sounds to indicate an actual call transfer and she said it was just silence....

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now? Phishing scams over the phone have probably been around longer than the internet has existed.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now? Phishing scams over the phone have probably been around longer than the internet has existed.

Yeah, I figured that after I posted.....I guess with the internet age I'm just aware of the scams and didn't realize they've been around for years before the internet....

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fast talking scammers suck, when the potential mark doesn't cooperate, they get downright mean.

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone called her from the credit card "fraud" department and claimed there were a couple of suspect internet charges to her debit card and got her to verify her debit card number, 3 digit code on the back, last four of her social, mothers maiden name.......:L

Never give out ANY information over the phone OR online. Scammers can track your IP, hack into your puter, get all kinds of info &/or give you a virus that you have to pay them to get rid of. Get a phone call like that - hang up & call your bank directly. Glad she stopped the immediate damage - but debit card info aside, her other info IS still out there

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A while back I got a suspicious telemarketer call and I just happened to have an air horn to provide a blast of pure sound for their enjoyment! Fun fun fun!