• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Mock Draft

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The clamoring for it has been nonexistent so I thought I would satisfy that lack of thirst with my prognostication on what our beloved Bengals will do in this year's draft that is just (almost) 2 weeks away!

1st Round (24th overall pick) - Jason Verrett (CB) - TCU

A trade down here would be ideal but I will choose with the pick they are allotted and take Verrett here. It could be any # of CB's available but Denard, Gilbert and Fuller could all be off the board at this point. Verrett's biggest knock is his size (5'9") but he ran a 4.38 forty (tied for 2nd best), 39 inch vertical jump (tied for 3rd best), 6.69 seconds in the three cone (tied for 3rd best) and 4.4 seconds in the 20 yard shuttle (tied for 1st) at the Combine. He also won't be asked to come in and be "the guy" from the onset with a healthy Hall, Pacman, Newman and Kirkpatrick all in front of him. He can compete for the Nickelback spot and ease the transition in coming years with the vets getting longer in the tooth.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqLiAVGkVXo]Jason Verrett TCU Highlights ?? "You Can't Stop Me" - YouTube[/ame]

2nd Round (55th overall pick) - Weston Richburg (C) - Colorado State

The Kyle Cook era is over. Try not to shed a tear. Mike Pollak is the likely week one starter as he is transitioning from G to Center. They obviously don't love Robinson. The Bengals shift in drafting philosophy over recent years (thank you Duke Tobin and Marvin) has actually valued the importance of building the interior of the line. Zeitler in the first round in 2012 and Boling in the 4th round in 2011 come to mind. Plus, they signed Newhouse (25 year old OG from Green Bay). It's time to address and get an anchor at the Center position for the next 10 years. Richburg has the potential to be that guy. Will he be there at #55? Hope so. With the Bengals stated focus on the run game going forward, they are going to need an athletic mauler to truly meet that objective. OT could also be in play at this pick, depending on if there is a slide on one of them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhyKD24xqv8]Weston Richburg - 2014 NFL Draft Prospect Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

3rd Round (88th overall pick) - Ego Ferguson (DT) - LSU

Bengals need to get deeper at the position and take a DT at this pick. Still has been disappointing to this point (to be kind) and Atkins is coming off an ACL. Peko was extended but is probably on his last contract and will need to be replaced in coming years. Ferguson has that Bengal buzzword of "upside" and the team will think they can get the guy with good size and height to play more to that ability. We shall see.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZi9vv-XwY]Ego Ferguson - 2014 NFL Draft Prospect Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

4th Round (123rd overall pick ) - Robert Herron (WR) - Wyoming

Surprised? Bengals have a surplus of weapons at Dalton's disposal so they do something that is what good teams do...add to it. Herron is the replacement for Andrew Hawkins. 5'9", 193 lbs WR that will compete to get on the field at slot receiver. He is a former track guy with a 4.48 forty at the Combine. Probably will experiment with him as a return guy on Special Teams...but we know how much they love Tate in that role. *Sigh*

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixs0NQNIu6E]Robert Herron Wyoming Highlights ?? - YouTube[/ame]

5th Round (164th overall pick) - Kenny Ladler (Safety) - Vanderbilt

Bengals take yet another late round Safety with the hopes that he is not the next Robert Sands but maybe another George Iloka. Ladler had good production at Vandy and will help out on Special Teams at the very least in his first year. Forced five fumbles last year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSp1zmva-A]Kenny Ladler 2013 Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

6th Round (199th overall pick) - Bryn Renner (QB) - North Carolina

I know you wanted Andy Dalton's replacement (lol) sooner than this but...this is what we've got. Renner has good size (6'3") and 225 lbs. Could have gone higher, potentially, but had his shoulder injured in November last year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7a7cUfLTk]Bryn Renner vs South Carolina 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

6th Round (212th overall pick) - Ross Cockrell (CB) Duke

Special Teams? *shrugs*

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp1RxKdTP7E]Ross Cockrell vs Miami 2013 DB - YouTube[/ame]

7th Round (239th overall pick) - Morgan Breslin (DE/LB) - USC

Special Teamer/Practice Squad candidate

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzn-_EwqKtc]Morgan Breslin vs Stanford (2012) - YouTube[/ame]

7th Round (252nd overall pick) - Matt Feiler (OT) - Bloomsburg

Flyer on a small college guy with good size. A modern day Otis Hudson.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS4h294r2w]Offensive Line Drills at Bloomsburg Pro Day - YouTube[/ame]

I realize that my mock is sorely lacking at DE and OT but that's what I got. I could see them taking an OT in place of Center but it all depends on who slides, etc.

Blast away...

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moron.

That looks nothing like my mock draft.

:yahoo:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course it depends on who other teams like at CB for your #1 to come true, looks good for rounds 1-4

not going to think much about rounds 5-7, take your word for it.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pleased with a CB and an interior lineman in the first two rounds..... At the very least it would add depth to positions where we are thin. Best case scenario would be that we get a first year starter out of the deal (if we're desperate at center).

And anytime you can draft an Otis Hudson, I say you do it.... Roads don't grad themselves.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only part I disagree about with the 1st pick is: They DO need someone that can come in and compete for a starting spot right away. Hall is coming off his second injury, Kirkpatrick has only shown small, small flashes, and Newman is collecting social security already. At a position that's already been thinned by injuries, and needs an infusion of talent...I wouldn't take a CB that I didn't think couldn't start right away from day one. That's just my opinion, though.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting those positions looks good to me.

At this point, I would take Fuller over Dennard given the opportunity, and either over Verrett. Will be interesting to see where all of those guys are taken

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, but in the spirit of a mock thread and Tubbs being banned.

"Do you even watch football? You have no idea what you're talking about. Fuck you."

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only part I disagree about with the 1st pick is: They DO need someone that can come in and compete for a starting spot right away. Hall is coming off his second injury, Kirkpatrick has only shown small, small flashes, and Newman is collecting social security already. At a position that's already been thinned by injuries, and needs an infusion of talent...I wouldn't take a CB that I didn't think couldn't start right away from day one. That's just my opinion, though.

How many corners start in their first year though? Particularly for Marvin Lewis. J-Joe and Leon didn't start from day 1 and both of those guys clearly had talent.

I don't get the sense that Marvin trusts rookies on defense..... He's buried a ton of rookies that have talent (remember what he did to Dunlap?). Sometimes he plays them out of need -- Burfict got on the field because Howard got hurt.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many corners start in their first year though? Particularly for Marvin Lewis. J-Joe and Leon didn't start from day 1 and both of those guys clearly had talent.

I don't get the sense that Marvin trusts rookies on defense..... He's buried a ton of rookies that have talent (remember what he did to Dunlap?). Sometimes he plays them out of need -- Burfict got on the field because Howard got hurt.

I understand he may not start right off the bat, but are you certain Hall will be 100% ready, or not get injured again? Eventually Newman will fall off the cliff. Kirkpatrick hasn't shown he's ready to start...so, while the rookie drafted may not start right away, I would still prefer to draft the kid that is ready to start as a safe-guard than draft another project who could end up getting thrust into a starting role and not be nearly ready. Especially with so many teams now going 3-4 wide so often. CB's are at a premium.