• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My early stab at the 53 man roster

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still one more game to play, this Thursday against the SB champs, so changes could be made resulting from this game, not to mention any last minute adjustments to the roster by Poles. At this point, as one would expect, the only question marks are for the borderline players fighting to make the final cut. My roster will be in part Capt Obvious choices mixed in with some wishful thinking. First up, the offense:

QB - 2
1. Caleb Williams
2. Tyson Bagent

RB - 4
3. D'Andre Swift
4. Khalil Herbert
5. Roschon Johnson
6. Ian Wheeler

WR - 6
7. DJ Moore
8. Keenan Allen
9. Rome Odunze
10. Tyler Scott
11. Velus Jones, Jr
12. Dante Pettis

TE - 4
13. Cole Kmet
14. Gerald Everett
15. Marcedes Lewis
16. Tommy Sweeney

OL - 10
17. Braxton Jones
18. Tevin Jenkins
19. Coleman Shelton
20. Nate Davis
21. Darnell Wright
22. Ryan Bates
23. Ja'Tyre Carter
24. Doug Cramer, Jr
25. Matt Pryor
26. Larry Borom

Several things might immediately pop out here. #1, it's an imbalanced roster, being I'm having 26 on the O making the cut vs 24 for the D. #2, there is no FB, which is a bit of a shocker, being the Bears always carry one. But I'm thinking these are the new Bears who, when needed, can use one of the TEs (Sweeney) in the FB spot. #3, where's Kiran Amegadjle, our 3rd round pick? The NFL adjusted their IR rule this year which allows a team to 'stash' two players on IR, yet still be eligible for the season. I think this is what they're gonna do with Amegadjle.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Collin Johnson make the roster. He started out like gangbusters in that HOF game, but has since pretty disappeared, so I suspect he's headed for the practice squad. Pettis brings too much experience not only as a receiver, but on STs as well. As for my wish that Sweeney makes the team as the #4 TE, he makes it only because the Bears don't go with FB Kharl Blasingame. If the latter does make the cut, then cross off Sweeney and move him to the practice squad.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense and ST up next:

DL - 9
1. Montez Sweat
2. Andrew Billings
3. Gervon Dexter, Jr
4. DeMarcus Walker
5. Dominique Robinson
6. Austin Booker
7. Daniel Hardy
8. Zacch Pickens
9. Keith Randolph, Jr

LB - 5
10. Jack Sanborn
11. Tremaine Edmunds
12. TJ Edwards
13. Amen Ogbongbemiga
14. Micah Baskerville

CB - 6
15. Jaylon Johnson
16. Tyrique Stevenson
17. Kyler Gordon
18. Terrell Smith
19. Jaylon Jones
20. Josh Blackwell

S - 4
21. Jaquan Brisker
22. Kevin Byard III
23. Jonathan Owens
24. Elijah Hicks

ST - 3
1. Cairo Santos, K
2. Tory Taylor, P
3. Patrick Scales, LS

Here again are where the question marks/wishful thinking lie - the reserves. Do the Bears go with a balanced 50/50 roster, which would cause the removal of one player from the O and add it to the D? Pretty much the only unit guranteed set is ST. I've previously stated in other posts that I'd like to see Hardy make the 53, but not only because he's played well enough to deserve it, I fear if he's placed on the practice squad some other club will poach him.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Davis having a roster spot is criminal.

Liked the signing at the time...seemed like it should have worked out. But they need to bounce this guy.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Davis having a roster spot is criminal.

Liked the signing at the time...seemed like it should have worked out. But they need to bounce this guy.
No argument from me, but everything is pointing to him starting at RG when the season starts.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bears were in the running for Judson.would have put them way up in defense rankings.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still one more game to play, this Thursday against the SB champs, so changes could be made resulting from this game, not to mention any last minute adjustments to the roster by Poles. At this point, as one would expect, the only question marks are for the borderline players fighting to make the final cut. My roster will be in part Capt Obvious choices mixed in with some wishful thinking. First up, the offense:

QB - 2
1. Caleb Williams
2. Tyson Bagent

RB - 4
3. D'Andre Swift
4. Khalil Herbert
5. Roschon Johnson
6. Ian Wheeler

WR - 6
7. DJ Moore
8. Keenan Allen
9. Rome Odunze
10. Tyler Scott
11. Velus Jones, Jr
12. Dante Pettis

TE - 4
13. Cole Kmet
14. Gerald Everett
15. Marcedes Lewis
16. Tommy Sweeney

OL - 10
17. Braxton Jones
18. Tevin Jenkins
19. Coleman Shelton
20. Nate Davis
21. Darnell Wright
22. Ryan Bates
23. Ja'Tyre Carter
24. Doug Cramer, Jr
25. Matt Pryor
26. Larry Borom

Several things might immediately pop out here. #1, it's an imbalanced roster, being I'm having 26 on the O making the cut vs 24 for the D. #2, there is no FB, which is a bit of a shocker, being the Bears always carry one. But I'm thinking these are the new Bears who, when needed, can use one of the TEs (Sweeney) in the FB spot. #3, where's Kiran Amegadjle, our 3rd round pick? The NFL adjusted their IR rule this year which allows a team to 'stash' two players on IR, yet still be eligible for the season. I think this is what they're gonna do with Amegadjle.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Collin Johnson make the roster. He started out like gangbusters in that HOF game, but has since pretty disappeared, so I suspect he's headed for the practice squad. Pettis brings too much experience not only as a receiver, but on STs as well. As for my wish that Sweeney makes the team as the #4 TE, he makes it only because the Bears don't go with FB Kharl Blasingame. If the latter does make the cut, then cross off Sweeney and move him to the practice squad.
No way they keep Sweeney, he's PS if that is still an option for him. Yea, Collin Johnson over VJ if he makes it back in time as the Bears have a speedster in Scott and they like Coleman's 6'6" frame. I'm assuming the 3rd round OL will make the squad now that he's off PUP list. No way they're cutting a third-round selection. Now they could put him on IR for the season, red shirt him. And you have 2 extra linemen than will be kept on the 53, OL that is.

That's my take on the O side.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way they keep Sweeney, he's PS if that is still an option for him. Yea, Collin Johnson over VJ if he makes it back in time as the Bears have a speedster in Scott and they like Coleman's 6'6" frame. I'm assuming the 3rd round OL will make the squad now that he's off PUP list. No way they're cutting a third-round selection. Now they could put him on IR for the season, red shirt him. And you have 2 extra linemen than will be kept on the 53, OL that is.

Never even hinted that the Bears might cut the kid. At worst, I suggested they might place him on that special reserve spot the NFL created for this season. This way he doesn't have to sit out the entire year. But no way are they cutting a 3rd rounder they've barely seen on the practice field, let alone games. As for Coleman, I'd love to see him make the team, and I've since learned it's been an injury which has kept him out of the lineup for the past two weeks. I was worried that he was playing shitting or something in practice. So that's encouraging. However, if he's not ready to play on Thursday, I just don't see a path for him to make the cut.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He hasn't played in two weeks and he's nowhere near the asset Jones is on SPT's. Jones also offers a package out of the backfield. Johnson is just a tall WR who made a few plays against the Texans scrubs. I was admittedly intrigued, but... I don't see it happening. I don't see how it can.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting take on the roster from Windy City Gridiron. If you had one player who's on the roster bubble that you hope will make the cut, who would it be?

For me, early on it would have been Daniel Hardy, but I've become more convinced by the week that he's already made the cut, it just hasn't been made official. I could be way off on this, especially if Poles signs someone like Ngakoue, and that Hardy should remain on the bubble, but I'm thinking it's a done deal. Therefore, my bubble wish pick is for Ian Wheeler. He really flashed in the Bills game - didn't do much against the Bengals, but then again he wasn't on the field as much either. Let's see how he fares against the Chiefs tomorrow. I suspect he'll get plenty of playing time.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had one player who's on the roster bubble that you hope will make the cut, who would it be?

For me, early on it would have been Daniel Hardy, but I've become more convinced by the week that he's already made the cut, it just hasn't been made official. I could be way off on this, especially if Poles signs someone like Ngakoue, and that Hardy should remain on the bubble, but I'm thinking it's a done deal.
So with the trade for Darrell Taylor, he kinda becomes the de facto Yannick Ngakoue, meaning that adding him to the roster could put Hardy back on the bubble. Now it's also possible that the Bears simply carry 10 players on the DL, which would keep Hardy firmly in the mix. Gonna be fascinating to see which fringe players make the final cut.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poles makes yet another move to bolster the DL, trading the 2nd of our initially three 6th round picks (the other was for Darrell Taylor) for Cleveland's reserve DT Chris Williams. While we could always use more depth on the DL, it makes me wonder if the injury to Zacch Pickens is more severe than originally reported and whether he'll be ready for Week 1. In any event, it will be interesting to see who makes the final cut on the DL and how many we're taking on the roster.

Poles wisely retained the remaining 6th rounder, as it's the one from the Fields trade to the Steelers that can potentially turn into a 4th rounder, but only if Fields plays 50% or more snaps. That could very well be achievable if Russell Wilson, who will start the season as QB1, fails to make headway early on.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Bears cut Sweeney today. If he makes it past waivers, most definitely see him on the PS.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Bears cut Sweeney today. If he makes it past waivers, most definitely see him on the PS.
And that Chris Williams trade spelled doom for UDFA Keith Randolph, Jr, who was also cut He was the early favorite of all the UDFAs to make the roster. Sadly, RB Ian Wheeler, who had a solid game against the Bills, and may or may not have had a shot at making the team, has been placed on IR due to a torn ACL.