• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

my assessment of the offense

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I would just like to see all parties be accountable on this one. I don't want everyone to just assume that everything is the result of the cap sanctions when there are other underlying problems. Not necessarily calling for Kyle's head, but he has to step up. The Giants had a ton of injuries yet have been able to adjust somewhat during the latter part of the season - so at least to a small degree this should be possible for the Skins.

I guess that I am just sick of an organization that appears to be satisified with subpar play & always has an excuse for things. I wasn't looking for huge success this season but certainly did not expect things to be this bad. Just want to ensure that they are not a similar pt at the end of next season & - cap money or not - there is no guarantee that it won't happen again (we have seen it too many times as Redskins fans - last year was a major exception). For now - I guess I will keep the faith, but it is waning big time.

The NYG injuries aren't nearly as devastating as ours because they have not had the cap penalties and their depth can be better.

The cap penalties take away more than 15% of possible salaries. This is a ridiculous number. Think about it like this...we can only sign players 85% as good as other teams over the last two season.

I seriously doubt anybody is satisfied with "subpar play." It's not always an excuse...sometime it's a reason.

I understand the "glass half empty" outlook. But we also have to truly look at the circumstance. The cap penalties are huge we have a second year QB coming off a major injury. As for coaching, I have no faith in our STs coach because he hasn't given us a reason to have faith. This is the worst STs I have ever seen. Haslett has very little argument. Occasionally, he has the defense playing well but his past doesn't really help him here. Kyle has more wiggle room for me because he has ran top five offenses more often than not in his brief NFL career. The last thing I want is to alienate a good young coach of the future.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NYG injuries aren't nearly as devastating as ours because they have not had the cap penalties and their depth can be better.

The cap penalties take away more than 15% of possible salaries. This is a ridiculous number. Think about it like this...we can only sign players 85% as good as other teams over the last two season.

I seriously doubt anybody is satisfied with "subpar play." It's not always an excuse...sometime it's a reason.

I understand the "glass half empty" outlook. But we also have to truly look at the circumstance. The cap penalties are huge we have a second year QB coming off a major injury. As for coaching, I have no faith in our STs coach because he hasn't given us a reason to have faith. This is the worst STs I have ever seen. Haslett has very little argument. Occasionally, he has the defense playing well but his past doesn't really help him here. Kyle has more wiggle room for me because he has ran top five offenses more often than not in his brief NFL career. The last thing I want is to alienate a good young coach of the future.

Again - fair enough. At a minimum - Haslett has to go - he has never been a good defensive coach. I see your pt about Kyle. Also - I realize that they are not truly satisfied with things, but you never appear to see any fire or sense or urgency - kind of reflects the head coach.

Yes - the team will get better with more picks and FAs - just don't know if it is enough - time will tell. I hope you understand the frustration of this fanbase. We are constantly told "Just wait - it will be better next season", but we have been told that for almost the last 20 years. Now it might be true in this case & there are positive signs but seeing is believing. Shanahan has done some very good things in his time, but if you are honest you will also admit that he has done some bad things. Here's to hoping that he (or whoever) turns it around.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally understand the frustration of the fanbase but we won the division last season for the first time in more than a decade.

I understand the frustration with Haslett but I also understand the reason we made a huge run at the end of last season was the defense. I am frustrated with Haslett and think we need a change because I don't understand why he didn't continue doing what we were successful at the end of last season doing. I don't believe in making a change without a viable replacement...I'd be all for Mangini, Romeo, anybody with the last name Ryan, and a plethora of others with in depth knowledge of the 3-4 defense.

I can see fire in players and it's noticeable through frustration and personal fouls. That being said, many players are packing it in because that is the nature of humanity. If a player isn't coming up on a "contract year" or they aren't firmly entrenched in a starter role they will continue to play hard...but other players have no incentive.

Every coach does things that aren't exactly wise. Shanahan has done only two things bad in my opinion. 1) The McNabb trade. 2) Hiring our current ST coach.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs to set goals of acquiring/doing the following..........

1. Getting a #1 WR, a true go-to guy that commands double teaming. "Garcon is a #2 trying to fill that role" -Shawn Springs. (I agree)

2.Moving S. Moss to kick/punt return team.......barring that cut trade him.

3. Acquiring a TE that is more than one dimensional.....barring that Keep F. Davis and improve his blocking skills. This requires good coaching, something sorely missing.

4. Consider trade options for K. Cousins, if there is no deal that wows them keep him. Replacement options would have to be someone like J. Campbell. Get rid of R. Grossman, draft youngster in later rounds who's familiar with read option.

5. Replace entire offensive line (Williams excepted) This unit needs to be upgraded with bigger stronger bodies that can run and pass block. Think Hogs with speed.

6. Acquire another RB on the free agent market, one who will compete for the starting job. Again the issue is having current players who are one dimensional, or are not reaching their potential because of poor coaching. I like the potential of C. Thompson, but durability is at question here. BTW; A. Morris is the starter period.

7. Bring in punters to replace Sav Rocca.

8. Enhance strength and conditioning in the off-season for Kai Forbath. If he can't consistently kick the ball out of or deep into the end zone, what's the point?

9. Think about ending the great experiment on defense (3-4) or acquire/draft players specifically skilled to play it. This opens the door for a lot of player movement, outside of what has to happen. i:e replacing Fletcher, Meriweather, Jackson, Wilson, et. al. Doughy (special teams only)

10. Acquire Taylor Mays, Kenny Britt, Ben Tate, Jermichael Finley, Sam Young, Aquib Talib or Captain Munnerlyn in free agency.

11. Fire J. Haslett or have him work in what he's best at 4-3.

12. Father or son must go.......Since the offense ranks high and the team doesn't, my vote is for the old man to saddle up.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. And how are you going to pay for all these replacements? Because your offensive line swap out alone will eat up all of our available cap space, between the dead money we will be saddled with by cutting 4 starters under contract and the cost of 4 new starters. Fantasy football is great, but in the real world, thing cost money........You need to really reset your expectations. IF this is a 3 year plan, this is fine. If you expect it to happen this offseason, you are going to be severely disappointed.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the O-line - do you guys still believe that LeRibeus still has a shot to contribute to this team or should he simply be considered a bust? What an embarrassment on this guy's part. You have the opportunity of a lifetime & blow it because you lack discipline - pathetic. Since he was a relatively high 3rd rounder this has to be considered a big failure on the Skins part until proven otherwise.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding that list - why in the world do they need to explore more options at TE? I didn't realize that Reed is not considered a good blocker - is that the case? Paulsen is one of the better blockers on the team and - while certainly not one of the best receiving TEs in the NFL - he is certainly more than adequate in a receiving role. To me this would appear to be one of the least areas of need on the team.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I can't label him an outright bust yet, LeRibeus sure is heading that way. The frustrating part is what he did last offseason he also did in College. SO this was a known knock on him and Shanny drafted him anyway. If he doesn't break the starting line up next year, he will be a bust in my mind.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding that list - why in the world do they need to explore more options at TE? I didn't realize that Reed is not considered a good blocker - is that the case? Paulsen is one of the better blockers on the team and - while certainly not one of the best receiving TEs in the NFL - he is certainly more than adequate in a receiving role. To me this would appear to be one of the least areas of need on the team.

because we need a TE that can block as well as catch . when next season comes and reed gets hurt , we have paulson and paul who arent threats

so i see his point , but that doesnt mean i bump it to the top of the needs list

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Getting a #1 WR, a true go-to guy that commands double teaming. "Garcon is a #2 trying to fill that role" -Shawn Springs. (I agree)

3. Acquiring a TE that is more than one dimensional.....barring that Keep F. Davis and improve his blocking skills. This requires good coaching, something sorely missing.

4. Consider trade options for K. Cousins, if there is no deal that wows them keep him. Replacement options would have to be someone like J. Campbell. Get rid of R. Grossman, draft youngster in later rounds who's familiar with read option.

5. Replace entire offensive line (Williams excepted) This unit needs to be upgraded with bigger stronger bodies that can run and pass block. Think Hogs with speed.

6. Acquire another RB on the free agent market, one who will compete for the starting job. Again the issue is having current players who are one dimensional, or are not reaching their potential because of poor coaching. I like the potential of C. Thompson, but durability is at question here. BTW; A. Morris is the starter period.

8. Enhance strength and conditioning in the off-season for Kai Forbath. If he can't consistently kick the ball out of or deep into the end zone, what's the point?

9. Think about ending the great experiment on defense (3-4) or acquire/draft players specifically skilled to play it. This opens the door for a lot of player movement, outside of what has to happen. i:e replacing Fletcher, Meriweather, Jackson, Wilson, et. al. Doughy (special teams only)

10. Acquire Taylor Mays, Kenny Britt, Ben Tate, Jermichael Finley, Sam Young, Aquib Talib or Captain Munnerlyn in free agency.

12. Father or son must go.......Since the offense ranks high and the team doesn't, my vote is for the old man to saddle up.

1) silly , of course garcon is a # 1 wr . we need a better # 2 wr
2) Moss is done
3) Good point but this isnt the 3rd highest issue
4) Agree , except replacements
5) agree if we have a couple of answers on the roster cutting all 4 is about 10 mil in dead cap space which wont get freed up till 2015
6) we dont need a RB our stable is fine
7) Agree
8) Agree but as long as he is accurate
9) I have no issue with the 3/4 . I have issue with the type of 3/4 we run , it is read an react . we need a more aggressive 3/4
10) dont like Britt , mays is not what we need , dont need tate finley is done might not play again , the others we could look at . i dont see how you get rid of 4 o/lineman and dont have 4 replacements
11) haslett should be fired

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because we need a TE that can block as well as catch . when next season comes and reed gets hurt , we have paulson and paul who arent threats

so i see his point , but that doesnt mean i bump it to the top of the needs list

OK - if the assumption is that Reed will be injury prone his entire career then I would agree but also agree that this is not a top priority.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - if the assumption is that Reed will be injury prone his entire career then I would agree but also agree that this is not a top priority.

well not so much injury prone but both paulson and paul are avg blockers at best and they arent much more then a spot catch now and then

now Reed and davis in theory would be a good team of Te's but neither are good enough blockers so that is why you dont see them together much

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well not so much injury prone but both paulson and paul are avg blockers at best and they arent much more then a spot catch now and then

now Reed and davis in theory would be a good team of Te's but neither are good enough blockers so that is why you dont see them together much

Actually I think that Paulson is a very good blocker but is certainly not going to set the world on fire as a receiver. Also - Davis' attitude might find him out of the NFL very shortly.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooley: Redskins should ditch read-option

this isnt the difference this year and last and this will need to change next year .

there is no threat running the read option if all you are going to do is go 5yds and out of bounds

clearly the injury is affecting play here

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the O-line - do you guys still believe that LeRibeus still has a shot to contribute to this team or should he simply be considered a bust? What an embarrassment on this guy's part. You have the opportunity of a lifetime & blow it because you lack discipline - pathetic. Since he was a relatively high 3rd rounder this has to be considered a big failure on the Skins part until proven otherwise.

A failed 3rd rounder is not really a bust. The success rate of a second rounder is only 50%.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is 5 yards not considered a good run exactly?

i dont know if you read the piece but what cooley was saying was that last year Rg3 would turn those into 20-30 yarders and score

he believes that until Rg3 can do that , then the skins should shut down the read option

i am saying that the injury is still affecting his play

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Getting a #1 WR, a true go-to guy that commands double teaming.
What is your idea of a #1? Name the guys. Keep in mind Garcon is #2 in receptions and #10 in yards while having no consistent help and a QB that is only #14 in attempts.

Cut him because he's not worth a damn at KR/PR at his age.

Davis is a piece of crap and has burned his bridges in DC. He's lazy beyond belief.
Outside of Witten, Gronkowski, and Gonzalez there are no great and complete TEs. Everybody that can do both are unspectacular.

This is the first reasonable thing you have said. Jason Campbell will never come back. Grossman needs to go but the back up does not need to be a read option guy because we don't run R/O every damn play.

So you want to replace 4 starters on the line with guys who are bigger, stronger, and faster? Those guys grow on trees don't they and come cheaply (dripping with sarcasm).

So you want to sign a high-priced RB to compete with the #4 rusher in football? WOW

Occasionally you have a sane thought.

To kick FGs obviously.

So you believe RAK and Kerrigan (3-4 probowlers) are being wasted in the 3-4?

Taylor Mays isn't an upgrade to Merriweather.
Kenny Britt might be an upgrade but comes with a ton of baggage. I'm all for bringing him in cheaply.
Ben Tate...WTF?
Jermichael Finley is the most one-dimensional TE in football and his career might be over.
Sam Young? He's been on 3 teams in his 4 years and has a total of four starts.
Aqib Talib is a possibility. He's a big and skilled CB but he has good skills. My question will be the price tag.
Captain Munnerlyn is a pip squeak. No thanks.

Fire Haslett...keep the 3-4. This league is about speed and the 3-4 supplies that.

If one goes...both go. Kyle isn't going anywhere...he's the future HC of the Washington Redskins.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is a mistake to get rid of Davis....period. He is a talented pass catcher who does not meet the expectations required to block effectively. What then does it say if the team moves him out? To me, what we are witnessing are reasons to fire the TEs coach maybe the HC. There is not one player who's ever played the game that came into the game complete Each had to work on some aspect of his game in order to reach full potential. Why is this not happening to both Davis and Reed?? Clearly, their blocking shortcomings have been identified and made public. OK Davis is a bit of a knucklehead, however, what's worse.... that......OR........coaches who fail the player(s) and subsequently the team by knowing a weakness and not working tirelessly on turning that into a strength??

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one goes...both go. Kyle isn't going anywhere...he's the future HC of the Washington Redskins.

1.What is your idea of a #1? Name the guys. Keep in mind Garcon is #2 in receptions and #10 in yards while having no consistent help and a QB that is only #14 in attempts.
A true #1 WR is one that forces the defense to declare on every play. What's happening to this team this year is opponents are stacking 8 in the box and daring the team to beat them with the pass. They are putting one guy and a spy on Garcon and forcing the team to beat them with the rest. C. Johnson, A. Johnson, J. Gordon, A.J. Green, D. Thomas, D. Jackson, D. Bryant, S. Smith (in his prime) M. Floyd, R. Wayne, L. Fitzgerald, J. Jones, V. Jackson (And you might want to add Gronk and J. Finley) Ask yourself this question in relation to all of the above, which guy on this team has actually beaten another team just by his own exploits and made the running game better?

3.Davis is a piece of crap and has burned his bridges in DC. He's lazy beyond belief.
Outside of Witten, Gronkowski, and Gonzalez there are no great and complete TEs. Everybody that can do both are unspectacular.
The Davis situation is not what you think it is. Lazy beyond belief says a lot more about coaching than his disposition. More detail about this in my response to Skinsdad.

5.So you want to replace 4 starters on the line with guys who are bigger, stronger, and faster? Those guys grow on trees don't they and come cheaply (dripping with sarcasm).
Yep, replace them, not necessarily cut them though (backups that's what they are) Returning sarcasm with contempt. This is why you have a scouting team, If memory serves me correctly, J. Jacoby walked in and Gibbs mistook him for a D-lineman. This is not as difficult as you might think.....IF....you consider what we currently have!!!

6.So you want to sign a high-priced RB to compete with the #4 rusher in football? WOW Absolutely!!! Though not necessarily one who's high priced. Injuries happen, do you really want R. Helu as your starter if this happens???? WOW!!!

8.To kick FGs obviously.
He is a FG kicker and kickoff man.......Again, you obviously are one who settles for the status quo. improving and working on player weaknesses is seemingly a strange concept to you.

9.So you believe RAK and Kerrigan (3-4 probowlers) are being wasted in the 3-4?
No not wasted, just constantly put into positions that doesn't maximize their natural strengths. BTW; former pro-bowlers.

11.Fire Haslett...keep the 3-4. This league is about speed and the 3-4 supplies that.
How exactly does the 3-4 make players faster than the 4-3??

12. If one goes...both go. Kyle isn't going anywhere...he's the future HC of the Washington Redskins.
Thanks for supporting my position on this, if indeed Kyle is the future HC then obviously Mike has to hit the road.