• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: M's vs. Rangers, Mon 4/24

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of electronic balls and strikes. I think a better one would be to allow managers to also challenge a ball or strike call and use the electronic system to decide then.

Everything else will be decided by the ump

Yes that takes away some power from the ump and sort of undermines them...but the game isn't about the umps it's about the players and getting things right

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of electronic balls and strikes. I think a better one would be to allow managers to also challenge a ball or strike call and use the electronic system to decide then.

Everything else will be decided by the ump

Yes that takes away some power from the ump and sort of undermines them...but the game isn't about the umps it's about the players and getting things right

that's essentially the way tennis uses it.

the laser system they have can track the entire trajectory of a ball down to the millimeter. in tennis, that's a lot further than 60 feet 6 inches, and oftentimes well over 120 MPH.

players get 2 unsuccessful challenges of line calls/service calls per set.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure i can handle watching noesi come in and blow away just about every batter he faces.

just a cruel joke.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see them have the ability to challenge balls/strikes to get critical ones right than to see it full time electronic. It would slow up the game more, but I'd be fine with it if they kept it down to only a few per game.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that arthur rhodes in his prime out there in noesi's jersey!? who is this guy haha

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure i can handle watching noesi come in and blow away just about every batter he faces.

just a cruel joke.

Yeah, NOW he can keep the ball out of the middle of the zone. :L How many ex-mariner killers have we seen over the years though? Langston comes to mind.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have gotten a lot better in recent years since the trackers have come into the game. They are judged against it and it has made a difference. I'm sure many older folks would see it more like I do and many younger fans would be in your camp. Nothing wrong with either view. Not like I'd cry if they did change it, just not really a fan of the idea.

Yeah I remember the strike zones that teams like the Braves enjoyed for most of the 90's where strikes were called even when a pitch was a foot or two off the corner and it has gotten appreciably better than that in recent years, but I think teams are going to get tired enough of the moving/inconsistent strike zones at some point that they're going to want to take it out of the hands of human umps. I have no problem with keeping things that make the game better, but I don't think human umpiring is always one of those things.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I remember the strike zones that teams like the Braves enjoyed for most of the 90's where strikes were called even when a pitch was a foot or two off the corner and it has gotten appreciably better than that in recent years, but I think teams are going to get tired enough of the moving/inconsistent strike zones at some point that they're going to want to take it out of the hands of human umps. I have no problem with keeping things that make the game better, but I don't think human umpiring is always one of those things.

Yeah, the early days of interleague play was an adventure with those strike zones. So different in each league. That too added to leveling out those zones.

I do remember yelling at umps at the tops of my lungs growing up. I mean we all still boo, but some of those calls were just so bad.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00