• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's just as bad or worse than last year

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said I would wait until we had at least played everybody in our division before getting too negative, but now I don't think it's necessary.

Since those first 3 anomalous games, the M's are the same club they've been for the past 500 or so games. Garbage.

Yes, there will be a lot of excuses and talk about "what if" we had such and such pitchers and blah blah blah.

Even if our best starters were all working, they can't make up for being the 26th worst team in batting avg, and the 28th worst team in obp.

Z will probably be fired at the end of this season, but the truth is, until there's new ownership, this team will go nowhere.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said I would wait until we had at least played everybody in our division before getting too negative, but now I don't think it's necessary.

Since those first 3 anomalous games, the M's are the same club they've been for the past 500 or so games. Garbage.

Yes, there will be a lot of excuses and talk about "what if" we had such and such pitchers and blah blah blah.

Even if our best starters were all working, they can't make up for being the 26th worst team in batting avg, and the 28th worst team in obp.

Z will probably be fired at the end of this season, but the truth is, until there's new ownership, this team will go nowhere.
:agree:

Normally I'd be telling you that it's too early, let them play, etc, etc but I think you can just tell with this team. Flawed roster construction and way to many hurt pitchers. This team is doomed.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My optimism is out the window

At this point our only hope is if Cano gets on a scorching hot Ginacarlo Stanton type hitting streak

Speaking of Stanton. Can we just write a blank check to the Marlins for this guy? He looks like a perennial 40-50 hr guy for years to come.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My optimism is out the window

At this point our only hope is if Cano gets on a scorching hot Ginacarlo Stanton type hitting streak

Speaking of Stanton. Can we just write a blank check to the Marlins for this guy? He looks like a perennial 40-50 hr guy for years to come.

NWinAZ has been saying the same (well maybe not 40-50 hr, but definitely that we should go all in to get him)

I'm finding it hard to disagree with him now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said before spring training that adding Cano and losing Morales wasn't much of an upgrade for a team with so mane holes. Adding the Morrison's and Hart's of the game is just what teams do in off seasons to replace normal missing pieces. I also can't say enough each off season that adding pitching is extremely important and that you should use 'prospects' as bonus pieces and not count-ons. If this season doesn't back my theories, nothing ever will. You can say it was just back luck, but it happens way more than not.

I am just so tired of watching M's management go all MacGyver each off season trying to build a winner with gum and a old battery. Until they get serious and add real talent, we will have another decade of this to look forward to. I use to say we were the Marlins of the A.L., but now that would be an upgrade.

:ss:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NWinAZ has been saying the same (well maybe not 40-50 hr, but definitely that we should go all in to get him)

I'm finding it hard to disagree with him now.

Thank you. I was just about to respond when I saw yours at the last second. I will give up 5-6 fringe players for one proven guy. If that guy gets hurt, then that is life. Young pitchers get hurt at an alarming rate and I just get scared off by them. No you can't trade them all because of that fear, but I would trade them for a proven young hitter any day and then sign veteran pitchers to compete. Whatever now. They just zap all my energy. I say every spring that we will be out by beginning of May and here we go again.

And Cano looks like he is just sleep walking at the plate. Slap a ball and get a single or a free ($24M actually) trip back to the dugout. One hitter will NEVER fix a bad offense. Trout wouldn't have made us better. It takes a team and not 6 guys with less than needed MLB experience. A's use little known vets to win over using 6 rookies and/or near rookies. They know. We know, but aren't willing to spend.

I'm done ranting.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. I was just about to respond when I saw yours at the last second. I will give up 5-6 fringe players for one proven guy. If that guy gets hurt, then that is life. Young pitchers get hurt at an alarming rate and I just get scared off by them. No you can't trade them all because of that fear, but I would trade them for a proven young hitter any day and then sign veteran pitchers to compete. Whatever now. They just zap all my energy. I say every spring that we will be out by beginning of May and here we go again.

And Cano looks like he is just sleep walking at the plate. Slap a ball and get a single or a free ($24M actually) trip back to the dugout. One hitter will NEVER fix a bad offense. Trout wouldn't have made us better. It takes a team and not 6 guys with less than needed MLB experience. A's use little known vets to win over using 6 rookies and/or near rookies. They know. We know, but aren't willing to spend.

I'm done ranting.

extremely well put

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares? I only check box scores now. I barely cre about that. We needed another bat and another pitcher and we failed to land them.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well on the brighter side of things, it is only 10 months til spring training.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well on the brighter side of things, it is only 10 months til spring training.

Aren't we all tired of having a one month long baseball season only to be looking forward to the opening of NFL preseason and having nothing else to fill that void over the summer?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't we all tired of having a one month long baseball season only to be looking forward to the opening of NFL preseason and having nothing else to fill that void over the summer?

Tired of it? Yes. Anything we can do about it? No. People say baseball season is too long....not for a Mariners fan.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically in a nutshell you have the same bad offense inconsistent you have had Jack's whole tenure. I dont have the numbers but in Jack's tenure have we ever had an offense in the top Top 20 or even Top 25. You have a team that can muster a big inning once in a while but when it comes down to needing a run in the 9th inning it almost never happens. We had 13 walk off loses last year and already have 3 this year.

Pitching wise, this team has never invested in a true starter to pair with Felix. No two months of Cliff Lee and trading him for .240 hitting first baseman doesnt count. But honestly it was obvious they needed to sign a starter this off season and of course like every year they ignored it. The rotation has held it together but injuries and depth are starting to take its toll. Because the rotation is faltering the bullpen will soon follow suit because I doubt they can survive pitching 4+ innings every day with the exception of Felix starts.

Oh and by the way Aaron Harang threw 7 no hit innings tonight and has a 0.70 ERA. I mean of course he does right? Its the same story different players GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and by the way Aaron Harang threw 7 no hit innings tonight and has a 0.70 ERA. I mean of course he does right? Its the same story different players GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just the Mariner's luck. Add Harang to the long list of Mariners who left and went on to do well

Jason Vargas: 2-0 1.24 era (4 starts each 7 innings with 2 or less runs)

Mike Morse: .300 avg 2 hrs 10 rbi

Mike Carp; .316 avg (last year .296 avg 9 hrs 43 rbi in only 216 abs)

Doug Fister, Adam Jones, Sin Soo Choo, Adrian Beltre

I bet you if we traded Smoak or Seager they would hit 40 hrs the following year

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just the Mariner's luck. Add Harang to the long list of Mariners who left and went on to do well

Jason Vargas: 2-0 1.24 era (4 starts each 7 innings with 2 or less runs)

Mike Morse: .300 avg 2 hrs 10 rbi

Mike Carp; .316 avg (last year .296 avg 9 hrs 43 rbi in only 216 abs)

Doug Fister, Adam Jones, Sin Soo Choo, Adrian Beltre

I bet you if we traded Smoak or Seager they would hit 40 hrs the following year

Not to mention the Mariners players who we added who performed well BEFORE coming to Seattle and bombed it here.

Adrian Beltre: He was a good player, but not the MVP candidate we hoped for when we signed him.
Erik Bedard: Injuries.
Richie Sexson: Had two solid years before completely falling off the map.
Chone Figgins: Shoot me.
Carlos Silva: 2007 MIN: 4.24 ERA 202 IP. 2008 SEA: 6.46 ERA 153 IP.
Ben Broussard: When the Mariners traded for him in 2006 he was hitting .321 with 13 HR in 88 games. During the remainder of 2006 with the Mariners he hit .238 with 8 HR in 56 games.
Mike Morse: Referring to his second stint here. Before being traded to the Mariners he was hitting extremely well for the Nationals. We all know how that turned out.

It appears Seattle is the place MLB players go to die. Adrian Beltre and Mike Morse appear to be two solid examples of guys who played well before coming to Seattle, performed below average, then continued playing well after leaving. If there is such thing as a curse, we have it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no emotional ties to the Mariners anymore… I gave that up years ago when I realized the owners and management of this team didn't give a rats azz about me… THE FAN … TV contracts are so lucrative I don't even think they care if anyone visits the Safe… As long as Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Portland, Seattle tune in and watch them on TV there making money… Once people stop watching on TV THEN shit will hit the fan… As far as how the Mariners will do this year… lol PLEASE… If they end the season .500 it would be a miracle… And even if they improve what makes anyone think they would keep the talent they have anyway ? They never do… They just lock up like 1 or 2 good players and expect that to generate fan excitement… Mariners ownership and management have set the bar on how NOT TO RUN a franchise… If it wasn't for the unusual TV situation being where were located this crap would a been over with long ago.. Mariners would a been losing a TON OF money with this product…

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the Mariners players who we added who performed well BEFORE coming to Seattle and bombed it here.

Adrian Beltre: He was a good player, but not the MVP candidate we hoped for when we signed him.
Ben Broussard: When the Mariners traded for him in 2006 he was hitting .321 with 13 HR in 88 games. During the remainder of 2006 with the Mariners he hit .238 with 8 HR in 56 games.
Mike Morse: Referring to his second stint here. Before being traded to the Mariners he was hitting extremely well for the Nationals. We all know how that turned out.

It appears Seattle is the place MLB players go to die. Adrian Beltre and Mike Morse appear to be two solid examples of guys who played well before coming to Seattle, performed below average, then continued playing well after leaving. If there is such thing as a curse, we have it.

Yea you can even go back as far as guys like Jeff Cirillo, Rich Aurilla and Al Martin who were all decent hitters and literally "died" here like you said. I think if Harang ends up having a good year, it will be the one that pushes me over the edge in thinking this team may actually be cursed.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't forget the Mariners given up on the wrong one of the troubled drunken two when they kept Freddy over Carlos Guillen.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or does it seem like every time Cano has come up with runners in scoring position later in the game with a chance to tie or put the team ahead he grounds out? I have no stats to back this up, it just seems like in the past couple weeks he has come up in clutch hitting moments and put up a dud...

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Cano hasn't quite delivered just yet. I've followed him his whole career though, he'll catch fire and when he does it'll be a joy to watch.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or does it seem like every time Cano has come up with runners in scoring position later in the game with a chance to tie or put the team ahead he grounds out? I have no stats to back this up, it just seems like in the past couple weeks he has come up in clutch hitting moments and put up a dud...

It's not just you, I notice that too.

We have to find the source of the curse that was put on this team sometime around 2002. IT MUST BE FOUND AND ELIMINATED.