• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Clobbering in Cleveland, 4/28 - 4/30

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very possible, De Jong looks like he is chucking meat balls up there. Hopefully the M's can get a bunch of runs.

Exactly what I said he does back in spring. Did not like his stuff at all. He seems fine in the long role after the hitters have exhausted themselves from battering the starters.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you really look at what the bullpen is doing, its really 2 or 3ish spots shared by Scribner, Fien, Marshall, Heston and Altavilla that have haunted us. Those guys keep getting swapped out for each other and are just getting massacred anytime they pitch.Tony Zych getting healthy takes one of those spots its early for him but so far he's been good. Vincent, Zep and Pazos have done their jobs thus far and Diaz has had the 1 bad appearance in LA.
It is really a bullpen depth issue. I think this team is 1 and a half guys away from having a decent pen. Cishek could and should help.
I agree 100% with you on that front... I wasn't a fan of pazos but he seems to be turning it around. However, that is just the bullpen as we have major depth issue for the rotation as well. I dont trust guys like Gallardo and De Jongto hold down meaningful innings or at least a "quality start" to prevent the bullpen from getting massacre. Right now, outside of Paxton we have no inning eaters, iwakuma has been good but i'd like to see more from him. this is why losing Smyly early is so critical.

What im hoping for is aside from the 1st inning yesterday, Gallardo can step up his game. I've been impressed Miranda as he's been able to give us QS, but he needs to go beyond 5IP.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I said he does back in spring. Did not like his stuff at all. He seems fine in the long role after the hitters have exhausted themselves from battering the starters.
I really think he needs experience pitching in the majors. He seems nervous and struggles throwing quality strikes, but when the pressure is off in a long relief role he seems more in control and less stressed out. I am glad Whalen has come off the DL it will be nice to have another option on the 40 man outside of Overton and De Jong that could start.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think he needs experience pitching in the majors. He seems nervous and struggles throwing quality strikes, but when the pressure is off in a long relief role he seems more in control and less stressed out. I am glad Whalen has come off the DL it will be nice to have another option on the 40 man outside of Overton and De Jong that could start.

I really don't think you can judge on long relief. A long relief comes in after starter gets pummeled usually and it always seems it dies down after the pitching change in a game like that. He just doesn't have any deception on his pitches. No fastball and off speed doesn't fool anyone. I just don't see it.

I actually like Overton and thought he should have gotten the start.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think you can judge on long relief. A long relief comes in after starter gets pummeled usually and it always seems it dies down after the pitching change in a game like that. He just doesn't have any deception on his pitches. No fastball and off speed doesn't fool anyone. I just don't see it.

I actually like Overton and thought he should have gotten the start.
To me its very telling comparing his long relief outing to this start, you can see why he was effective in Oakland and why he wasn't in Cleveland. I think it shows a combination bland stuff and inexperience dealing with good hitters, From what I've seen I definitely think he can pitch in the majors but probably not effectively for awhile, like a couple seasons until worth having a major role. Remember this guy hasn't really gotten a chance to pitch in AAA yet he is basically skipping AAA and his stuff is simply not good enough for that.
And I agree it should be Overton getting these starts. I like what I see from him

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you swing through Detroit and Cleveland for six games and you come out of it going 3-3, you got to be happy with it.

Y'all know I'm not one of the koolaid guzzling Mariner cheerleaders (although my hairy legs would look damn fine in a little cheerleaders skirt), but I was okay with the last six games.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you swing through Detroit and Cleveland for six games and you come out of it going 3-3, you got to be happy with it.

Y'all know I'm not one of the koolaid guzzling Mariner cheerleaders (although my hairy legs would look damn fine in a little cheerleaders skirt), but I was okay with the last six games.
Yeah hard to be too upset with going 3-3. We got some really good pitching on some days and some really bad pitching others. Low point being the Haniger and Felix injury game.