• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MP has no plans to take over defensive playcalling

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Devin Bush or Metcalf.

Could of had both but instead got a TE that gets game planned 2-3 targets a game and an average LB.
I am hoping that Alma Francis Jr. gets better and becomes a quality starter for us still. It will take a sting off of Metcalf. That guy looks like a beast already this season.
Metcalf is faster Ebron.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metcalf drops a lot of balls though or at least does not make a lot of catches he should. Sometimes the stats dont record it as a drop but as a "not caught". His "Not Caught" % is very high.

Smitty agrees but I've watched a few games and the guy swats DB's off him like little gnats.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see... His number might take a hit now that the Sqwaks signed Bob Marley.
His hands are not impressive.

Never going to do anything about that.

My homerness aside, it's the same story for Corey Davis. Yeah, Mariotta was not good, but neither is a wR that catches with his body.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hock just needs more time.

Again, I don't think the guy sucks...
But when the commentator mentions the Lions are 31st in total defense.
You HAVE to question what the hell the guy is thinking with that pick.

Every fan on this board knew we needed pass rushers but our ginger GM and stay puft marshmellow coach think that Trey Flowers, a guy who never had more than 7.5 sacks in a season was all they needed?
You had the pass rushing DT on the board and an uber talented DE from Florida state available as well (forgot his name but he went to the Panthers).

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His hands are not impressive.

Yeah but when he can make up for it with 60 yard TD's. You can give leeway.
Ebron was just straight dog shit. I NEVER recall seeing that guy make a 40 yard or more TD catch.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but when he can make up for it with 60 yard TD's. You can give leeway.
Ebron was just straight dog shit. I NEVER recall seeing that guy make a 40 yard or more TD catch.
Great athlete.

All I have to say about that.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every fan on this board knew we needed pass rushers but our ginger GM and stay puft marshmellow coach think that Trey Flowers, a guy who never had more than 7.5 sacks in a season was all they needed?
You had the pass rushing DT on the board and an uber talented DE from Florida state available as well (forgot his name but he went to the Panthers).

Brian Burns.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This organization still needs to maintain the record for TE's drafted in the 1st round of this century.

No way we want some other team coming close to that record.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This organization still needs to maintain the record for TE's drafted in the 1st round of this century.

More like once a decade. Don't forget about PETTIDROPS.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, we can't go and offer one a second contract.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This graph sums up the Detroit Lions defense perfectly

While the problem is multi-faceted, and there is clearly not a single clear fix that would turn this unit around, there is one glaring disappointment that can explain much of their failures: the lack of a pass rush.

To give you an idea of just how bad the Lions pass rush is, ESPN’s Seth Walder put together a graph that is visually striking:

On the y-axis (up and down) is each team’s pass rush win rate. As you can see, the Lions are easily the last in the league—about five percent lower than the next closest team. To make matters worse, on the x-axis (left and right) is each team’s blitz per dropback rate. The Lions are also last in that category, blitzing around 17 percent of the time.

So in other words, not only are the Lions not successful at rushing the passer, but they aren’t doing much about it. They’ve tried to disguise their rushers a little more in the past couple of weeks, but they refuse to simply send more players.

Sure, the pass rushers need to be doing a better job, but this represents a certain level of stubbornness in the coaching staff, who appear disinterested in breaking protocol and being a little more aggressive with their pass rush.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midseason by the numbers: Lions on pace for worst defensive season ever

31st: There’s nowhere to start but here. Here, of course, being the hellscape known as the Detroit Lions defense. They’re allowing a staggering 421.4 yards per game, which, you guessed it, ranks 31st in the league. Only the Cincinnati Bengals are worse. Yes, even the Dolphins are better, and the Dolphins are essentially trying to lose.

Now in their second season under a defensive-minded coach, the Lions are on pace to crush the team record for yards allowed in a season. The 2008 team currently holds that illustrious honor (6,470 yards). This team is pacing for 6,786 yards. That means to avoid having the worst defensive season in team history, Detroit needs to average 384.5 yards allowed per game the record of the way. Good luck, gentlemen.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midseason by the numbers: Lions on pace for worst defensive season ever

25: As in, percentage of pass rushes won by Lions players. And that ranks -- you guessed it! -- last in the league. In fact, nobody is within 5% of them -- and that next team is the Dolphins. Listen, Detroit knows it’ll pressure quarterbacks less often with its three-man rushes, but the club still expects players to win individual matchups. But that’s not happening, and neither is the pressure. That’s exposing the cornerbacks, who are probably the strength of the defense even though their numbers don’t always reflect it.