• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Movie review: Rush

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went down to Indy yesterday to catch 'Rush' with my brother-in-law; who is responsible for getting me hooked on motorsports in the 1st place, & who was following F1 back in the mid 70's, which is the setting of this film.

Lots of great F1 cars from the era abound in this flick, including the radical, if not hugely successful, Tyrrell P34. They used a track in Britain (Thruxton?) as a 'stand in' for all of the F1 circuts of the day, and CGI'd in the appropriate stands/backdrop to simulate Brands Hatch, Paul Riccard, Kyalami & the like. - My brother-in-law noted the 'problems' with this, but as long as you are not a 'stickler' for 100% authenticity, & works well enough.

The racing scenes were pretty well done, but the on-track action was not the heart of the movie, which is about the inter-personal dynamics behind the rivalry between James Hunt (a hard-charging driver on-track, & a notorious party boy off-track) & Nikki Lauda (a very technical/engineering-minded perfectionist with almost no social skills & little compunction about being rude and abrasive to get what he wants).

All in all, I found it to be a very good film which - hopefully - non-motorsports fans will find as interesting as motorsports fans should.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I 'll give it a 3.75. :clap:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Indy. I have not seen the film yet but the teasers look interesting enough. Lauda was an a-hole but he won races. That is the bottom line in F-1. He didn't get paid to be nice to other drivers.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took the wife to this movie today. While I use to enjoy Nascar and American Open Wheel I never watched F1. Movie started and my wife asked me "when did Earnhardt drive Indy cars?" :L She then asked me "Isn't this movie about that guy you liked that always fought with Earnhardt then died?" :doh: Do you mean Tim Richmond and no it is not.

Anyways not knowing anything about the series besides Mario Andretti it was a very enjoyable movie. Even the wife got into it and said it was a lot better then she expected.