• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most blown saves in franchise history?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going through our pitching stats and actually had to go through multiple times because I couldn't believe we have this many saves, hell I still can't believe it and I've double checked:

Steve Cishek: 6 BS
Nick Vincent: 5 BS
Vidal Nuno: 2 BS
Joaquin Benoit: 2 BS
Joel Peralta: 2 BS
Total: 18 blown saves

18 blown saves in 48 opportunities.

If the Mariners had even been moderately competent in these opportunities, say 80% conversation rate instead of the putrid 62.5% they're putting up right now, we would have around 8 more wins.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great breakdown... I wonder what the league average is...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 more wins would have the Mariners a game up on Texas for first in the division.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going through our pitching stats and actually had to go through multiple times because I couldn't believe we have this many saves, hell I still can't believe it and I've double checked:

If the Mariners had even been moderately competent in these opportunities, say 80% conversation rate instead of the putrid 62.5% they're putting up right now, we would have around 8 more wins.

The curse of Bobby Ayala lives on....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate the blown save stat, because it isn't true. Vidal Nuno has blown 2 saves, and both were in the 6th inning. It was a hold situation that since it was blown is called a blown save instead of a blown hold. There is no way that Peralta would have been asked to pitch the final 4 innings for a save.

This year, Mariner's pitchers have come in on 74 hold situations (3 run lead or less, 6th-8th inning). They have 61 holds, 3 saves and 10 blown saves. 86.5% success rate in hold situations.

In standard save situations (3 run lead or less in 9th inning, extra innings possible if away), Seattle has 29 saves in 36 chances. The 80.6% conversion rate is still not great (or even good by today's standards), but it isn't 62.5%. So, their save conversion is at 80%, but they really need to get it to 90%.

Overall, in save/hold situations, Seattle has converted on 93, while blowing 17.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the blown save stat, because it isn't true. Vidal Nuno has blown 2 saves, and both were in the 6th inning. It was a hold situation that since it was blown is called a blown save instead of a blown hold. There is no way that Peralta would have been asked to pitch the final 4 innings for a save.

This year, Mariner's pitchers have come in on 74 hold situations (3 run lead or less, 6th-8th inning). They have 61 holds, 3 saves and 10 blown saves. 86.5% success rate in hold situations.

In standard save situations (3 run lead or less in 9th inning, extra innings possible if away), Seattle has 29 saves in 36 chances. The 80.6% conversion rate is still not great (or even good by today's standards), but it isn't 62.5%. So, their save conversion is at 80%, but they really need to get it to 90%.

Overall, in save/hold situations, Seattle has converted on 93, while blowing 17.

Interesting. In all of my years of watching baseball, for some reason I actually was not aware of this. Appreciate you posting that clarification.

I had no idea a blown hold was considered a blown save, very interesting.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. In all of my years of watching baseball, for some reason I actually was not aware of this. Appreciate you posting that clarification.

Every time a reliever enters in the 7th or before with a lead and gives up the lead, it's technically a blown save. Or if the tying run is on, at bat or on deck. Or a regular ninth inning three run or less lead.

I can't find team BlownSave stats (I didn't look very hard.) but here's the individual AL leaders.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's effin painful ....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Technically, to get a hold - a pitcher must enter the game in a save situation and leave the game with his team still leading. So, all a hold is, is a save where the pitcher is removed from the game before it's over.

Of the top 15 pitchers with the most blown saves - only 5 have 20 or more saves while 7 have fewer than 5 ( used 5 because 5 is the minimum to be in the top 15).

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, to get a hold - a pitcher must enter the game in a save situation and leave the game with his team still leading. So, all a hold is, is a save where the pitcher is removed from the game before it's over.

Of the top 15 pitchers with the most blown saves - only 5 have 20 or more saves while 7 have fewer than 5 ( used 5 because 5 is the minimum to be in the top 15).

Oh, I forgot - I believe they have to record an out to get a hold.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel comfortable with the guys we have at the back of the pen now. I like that we have guys with closing experience in the event that our younger late inning guys either need a day off or run into a bit of a rough patch. Getting Wilhelmsen back, and back pitching like he was with us a few years ago, could turn out to be one of the bigger moves of the season. The moves the team made before the deadline weren't "sexy" and didn't really move the needle either nationally or locally, but they might turn out to be crucial to this team's success during this last stretch of the regular season.

As far as blown saves go... some of the best closers of all-time also sit near the top of the list in all-time career blown saves. Obviously it sucks to see your closer blow saves, but it comes with the territory of being a closer. I think blown holds should be a separate stat and I would assume that quite a few "blown saves" by some of those early closers would have been chalked up as blown holds instead because closers back in the days when the save was a new stat were still pitching multiple innings on a regular basis.