• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Morbius (2022)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s very annoying that they even have these movies if they can’t make these references.

Both venom and morbius are very incomplete without the Spider-Man story IMO.
Legalities.

Sony ”owns” the movie rights to Spidey and all spidey-related characters (Venom, Morbius, Oz, etc). They have an agreement with Disney/Marvel to include Spidey in the MCU. Similar to the agreement Universal has for Hulk.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legalities.

Sony ”owns” the movie rights to Spidey and all spidey-related characters (Venom, Morbius, Oz, etc). They have an agreement with Disney/Marvel to include Spidey in the MCU. Similar to the agreement Universal has for Hulk.

I understand. Just saying it is annoying that they have to hide and change a characters origin, and then avoid easy introductions to other characters.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is getting hilariously awful reviews out of initial screenings. No wonder Marvel wants to legally separate their films from Sony; They have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is getting hilariously awful reviews out of initial screenings. No wonder Marvel wants to legally separate their films from Sony; They have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

not surprising... i was surprised that there was even going to be a morbius movie... dont consider him a top 10 Marvel vilain... not even a top 5 spidey story...

much worse that they cut out the whole spidey part....

i feel like this would have worked much better as a non comic book story at all... make it totally original... its gonna feel like that anyway...

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reviews have been saying they even royally fuck up the mid/post credit scenes.

Most movies at least are able to make those interesting. But apparently the ones in this are god awful.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reviews have been saying they even royally fuck up the mid/post credit scenes.

Most movies at least are able to make those interesting. But apparently the ones in this are god awful.

not sure how that is possible... people welcome any screen encores....

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it opening night. I don't think it's quite as terrible as the critics are making it out to be (currently 17% on RottenTomatoes), but it is not good. Really bland and predictable.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know whether blade will be in this and if he is being rebooted??

I seriously doubt it. Blade is getting launched in MCU-proper (staring Mahershala Ali) and will apparently be starting with some kind of matchup with Black Knight (Kit Harrington).

The Venom-verse is technically in an alternate reality from MCU-proper.
I thought I heard or read that it was and it was being played by Mahershala Ali.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a quote from a review from The Ringer:

"And now that Morbius has been released, our worst fears have been realized. Sony has distributed a film that is so breathtakingly terrible, and so excruciating to watch, that it could be mistaken for one of the 10 plagues of Egypt. I truly believe that Morbius’s opening weekend is the three days of darkness foretold in the Bible. Our only recourse is to drive a proverbial stake through the heart of this "Marvel legend" and ensure that a sequel never sees the light of day."

Ouch!

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the movie and at this point Sony needs to surrender every super hero movie they own and just give it to marvel. Sony has 0 creative thinking or writing to their movies. Here is the spoiler in order

man accidently gets super powers
man learns to live with super powers
man is on the run for having super powers
bad guy also gets super powers
man and bad guy fight it out with their super powers and good guy wins

How many times have we seen this and there is nothing that screams anti hero about this character. I know they had a mega hit with Deadpool years back so now they are trying to give solo movies to bad guys but everything is falling short.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked Morbius had a 70% on Rotten Tomatoes for audience score and I say that’s pretty accurate, it’s certainly not the worst movie ever as a lot of critics have been framing it.

It’s a basic story but I thought the special effects were good and I’m very intrigued by where it goes in the future.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they had a mega hit with Deadpool years back so now they are trying to give solo movies to bad guys but everything is falling short.

That was 20th Century Fox, before the Sony merger.

Sony just keeps shitting the bed. Venom was mildly entertaining, but distinctly in a campy way. Venom 2: Let There be Garbage. Now Morbius is DOA.

Spiderverse was amazing though, and Spiderverse 2 is coming. I'm sure the creative team on that side is completely different from the live action universe.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing how the industry has changed in the last 10-15 years. Blockbuster was the monopoly. Nobody could touch it. Until the 1-2 punch of Netflix and Redbox. When they got their footing, Blockbuster just couldn’t compete anymore. And with as HUGE as Blockbuster was, that all happened essentially over night (maybe 2 years?).

Now Netflix successfully completely altered their business model (completely gutted their DVD business and went 95% streaming instead) while Redbox has been completely unable to get any kind of footing in the streaming market, essentially killing their future outlook.

Sorry for the rabbit hole, there. Sometimes it is just fun to look back at the path traveled.
I don't think Red Box will go under. There at every grocery/retail store where people have to go so they have the benefit of great location. And Blu-Ray/DVDs are still going strong despite the popularity and convenience of streaming, so as long as people still like physical mediums, to watch movies and shows, Red Box will have a market. One reason I like having a physical copy is if I like a program I don't want to have to worry about it being taken off from a streaming app and not being able to watch it again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Red Box will go under. There at every grocery/retail store where people have to go so they have the benefit of great location. And Blu-Ray/DVDs are still going strong despite the popularity and convenience of streaming, so as long as people still like physical mediums, to watch movies and shows, Red Box will have a market. One reason I like having a physical copy is if I like a program I don't want to have to worry about it being taken off from a streaming app and not being able to watch it again.
Your reasoning doesn’t apply to Redbox, though. You don’t own the medium. You are completely reliant on Redbox offering whatever show/movie you want to watch at a nearby kiosk.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the near future, I disagree with your reasoning, but I agree with your conclusion--Redbox has years and years left to go despite the popularity of streaming. I'd be shocked if there still arent' widespread Redbox locations even 5-10 years from now. For a lot of people, there is an economic allure to a $2 movie as opposed to a $15/month service in addition to the high speed internet service that that streaming requires.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a quote from a review from The Ringer:

"And now that Morbius has been released, our worst fears have been realized. Sony has distributed a film that is so breathtakingly terrible, and so excruciating to watch, that it could be mistaken for one of the 10 plagues of Egypt. I truly believe that Morbius’s opening weekend is the three days of darkness foretold in the Bible. Our only recourse is to drive a proverbial stake through the heart of this "Marvel legend" and ensure that a sequel never sees the light of day."

Ouch!

Anyone who thinks this movie is worse than things like Elektra, Catwoman, Daredevil, or Green Lanturn need to go back and watch those movies. Morbius may not be on the same level as other Marvel or Sony movies but to call it "the worst SH film of all time like a lot of people are is down right laughable.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a lot of people, there is an economic allure to a $2 movie as opposed to a $15/month service in addition to the high speed internet service that that streaming requires.

Count me in on that. Though I prefer to own, not rent. I don’t have varied enough tastes to justify monthly payments to have access to thousands of shows I’m not gonna watch anyway.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who thinks this movie is worse than things like Elektra, Catwoman, Daredevil, or Green Lanturn need to go back and watch those movies. Morbius may not be on the same level as other Marvel or Sony movies but to call it "the worst SH film of all time like a lot of people are is down right laughable.
I haven't seen it. I was just posting a review quote. But the reviews have admitably turned me off of wanting to see it.

You certainly listed some crap there though! Maybe a Fantastic 4 movie or 2 belongs in there also?

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen it. I was just posting a review quote. But the reviews have admitably turned me off of wanting to see it.

You certainly listed some crap there though! Maybe a Fantastic 4 movie or 2 belongs in there also?

It’s better than those. It’s likely in the Thor 2 category for me where it’s not really that good but still decent enough to enjoy if you don’t go in expecting a top notch movie.