• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Momentum building for college football in the spring?

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be C-O-L-D @ Iowa State games!

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football up North in February could be one snow bowl after another.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance any programs with actual winters are going to agree to play games in February and March. Hell -- it just snowed today here.

Michigan would be playing games in below zero and single digit wind chill on a weekly basis in February. Same with many of the teams in the B1G. It'd be a shit show.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance any programs with actual winters are going to agree to play games in February and March. Hell -- it just snowed today here.

Michigan would be playing games in below zero and single digit wind chill on a weekly basis in February. Same with many of the teams in the B1G. It'd be a shit show.

They may as well move venues with no fans allowed in all likelihood for at least the first half of the season.

Either we have football or we don't lol

Because looking like we are going to have a lot of colleges closed in Fall

Average temperature in November about same as March also

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may as well move venues with no fans allowed in all likelihood for at least the first half of the season.

Either we have football or we don't lol

Because looking like we are going to have a lot of colleges closed in Fall

Average temperature in November about same as March also

No colleges are going to play with no fans -- athletic departments would be losing their ass. Majority of their revenue comes from ticket sales.

You think OSU or UM is going to pay an OOC team $1 million to play them in an empty stadium?

Or you think schools are going to pay millions in travel cost, when they make $0 in revenue on ticket sales?

CFB won't be back until fans can come back.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No colleges are going to play with no fans -- athletic departments would be losing their ass. Majority of their revenue comes from ticket sales.

You think OSU or UM is going to pay an OOC team $1 million to play them in an empty stadium?

Or you think schools are going to pay millions in travel cost, when they make $0 in revenue on ticket sales?

I obviously don't have the details behind making the thing come together. Presumably they'd be putting off into "spring" with the hopes that fans will be allowed.

I'm sure all costs/overhead/revenue will be taken into consideration

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can imagine some of the players who chose to go to the schools up north from the southern states, may look into the portal if we indeed have this schedule. Houston kids think 30 degrees is chilling..

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I obviously don't have the details behind making the thing come together. Presumably they'd be putting off into "spring" with the hopes that fans will be allowed.

I'm sure all costs/overhead/revenue will be taken into consideration

Think of it like this -- Michigan makes $7-8 million a game on ticket sale revenue. So they make between $50-60 million a year in ticket sale revenue.

With 5-6 away games, not including a bowl game or CFP -- you are talking spending in the $10 million range in expenses. That's with airfare, bus, semi's to move all the equipment, hotel stay, etc.

And on top of all those expenses -- you have contracts with OOC teams where you are paying them to come play a game at your stadium.

The chances of CFB starting with empty stands is less than zero percent. The overwhelming majority of their athletic budgets are tied to ticket sales. Every school would have massive losses if they played with no fans.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can imagine some of the players who chose to go to the schools up north from the southern states, may look into the portal if we indeed have this schedule. Houston kids think 30 degrees is chilling..

No doubt. It would be ugly. I think you'd see a mass exodus. What skill position player is going to want to run or catch in sub zero weather weekly

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. It would be ugly. I think you'd see a mass exodus. What skill position player is going to want to run or catch in sub zero weather weekly
however I would tune in to see power formations and a 80/20% run to pass ratio with 15% being playaction passes...

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of it like this -- Michigan makes $7-8 million a game on ticket sale revenue. So they make between $50-60 million a year in ticket sale revenue.

With 5-6 away games, not including a bowl game or CFP -- you are talking spending in the $10 million range in expenses. That's with airfare, bus, semi's to move all the equipment, hotel stay, etc.

And on top of all those expenses -- you have contracts with OOC teams where you are paying them to come play a game at your stadium.

The chances of CFB starting with empty stands is less than zero percent. The overwhelming majority of their athletic budgets are tied to ticket sales. Every school would have massive losses if they played with no fans.

I do see OSU has roughly a little over half their revenue in just tickets sales

But much of their expenses are fixed. It's a tough situation

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do see OSU has roughly a little over half their revenue in just tickets sales

But much of their expenses are fixed. It's a tough situation

The NFL could play without fans, as their ticket sales only represent 15% of their revenue.

College would never be able to pull it off. Too many programs rely on profits made by their football programs. Without the revenue brought in by the football programs, every sports who benefits from that revenue would operate at a loss too.

I want more than anything for CFB to start on time and for the season to bring some normalcy back to this country. I just do not see it happening.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL could play without fans, as their ticket sales only represent 15% of their revenue.

College would never be able to pull it off. Too many programs rely on profits made by their football programs. Without the revenue brought in by the football programs, every sports who benefits from that revenue would operate at a loss too.

I want more than anything for CFB to start on time and for the season to bring some normalcy back to this country. I just do not see it happening.

It's like this

I get your point on revenue but ultimately you have the question to ask

In the above scenario no matter what they will lose money. We understand that. But with a season can you drive enough revenue to lose less money than not having a season whatsoever. That's the economics of the situation. If it is a few million difference perhaps you can do a booster drive to make up the shortfall. But i doubt you're going to get a lot of action that way for the school to punt the season.

Granted that could ultimately be a school by school decision I don't know. I don't know if the schools would even push forward with anything less than all or nothing.

This is pretty uncharted territory and I would not pretend to be an expert on their financial situation or what could possibly be proposed that could make up the difference.

What I do know is selling T Shirts without a season isn't going to go very far to make up for the fixed losses.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think the thought now is a conference only schedule. No OOC

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the thought now is a conference only schedule. No OOC

That'd make sense. Give teams a chance to get back and time for the country to return to normal.

I just don't see them ever playing CFB with no fans, when the ticket sales revenue is tied directly to overall budget of the entire athletic dept. Every school would lose millions and millions of dollars.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like this

I get your point on revenue but ultimately you have the question to ask

In the above scenario no matter what they will lose money. We understand that. But with a season can you drive enough revenue to lose less money than not having a season whatsoever. That's the economics of the situation. If it is a few million difference perhaps you can do a booster drive to make up the shortfall. But i doubt you're going to get a lot of action that way for the school to punt the season.

Granted that could ultimately be a school by school decision I don't know. I don't know if the schools would even push forward with anything less than all or nothing.

This is pretty uncharted territory and I would not pretend to be an expert on their financial situation or what could possibly be proposed that could make up the difference.

What I do know is selling T Shirts without a season isn't going to go very far to make up for the fixed losses.

That is it -- You can't have a season where some can get by and make it work and others decide against it. It is an all or nothing type of deal.

No school is going to take a couple million dollar loss just to play football. And if schools aren't making money on football -- it will force other sports to shut down as well.

I have a feeling, we won't see any college sports until it is cleared for fans to safely return to games.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they thought attendence, was down the last few years. Just schedule some games in 10 degree weather. January and February, up north, will have empty seats.

If they go without attendence, donors will not fork out 2k-100,000 thousand a year, to reserve the best seats and boxes.