• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB, Players Union come to agreement on 2020 season

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course that is IF there is to be a season at all, at least the two sides have cleared the major hurdles affecting this unique situation.

MLB, players agree to deal to preserve service time, hold draft

Some of the key points:

*Assuming baseball returns this year, it looks like we can forget about a full season, altho I always thought this was all but impossible. 100 games is looking to be a more likely number, which will stretch into October.

*Players will accrue full service time, regardless how short the season will be or even if it's cancelled altogether....a huge win for the players.

*There will be an amateur draft this summer, although it will be reduced to five rounds instead of the usual 40.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, one more important feature I left out. Looks like there will be 29 player rosters for the first month of the season, then returning back to 26 thereafter. Should be interesting who the extra three the Sox will add.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they play through October they merely have to get the season going by July to get 100 in. That's a good deal of breathing room. China has very little new cases emerging and has all but resumed business as normal. We shall soon enough as well. There will be baseball in 2020. Give me any odds you want. I'll bet em.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, one more important feature I left out. Looks like there will be 29 player rosters for the first month of the season, then returning back to 26 thereafter. Should be interesting who the extra three the Sox will add.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they play through October they merely have to get the season going by July to get 100 in. That's a good deal of breathing room. China has very little new cases emerging and has all but resumed business as normal. We shall soon enough as well. There will be baseball in 2020. Give me any odds you want. I'll bet em.
Not nearly as confident as you richi, but the last thing I'll do is bet against baseball returning. Any self respecting baseball fan should want its return and hopefully as soon as possible.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sad that my tickets for June in Cleveland are not going to be experienced. I'll probably try to hit them up in Tampa now.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sad that my tickets for June in Cleveland are not going to be experienced. I'll probably try to hit them up in Tampa now.

I think they're going to have to restructure a whole new schedule for an 81 or 100 game season. Possibly foregoing Interleague play, making sure you get in all the divisional games and possibly shortening our non-Central American League series.

Could be no crosstown classic.

Also, have fun at that dump they call Tropicana. Man, that thing needs to be torpedoed yesterday. I was there in the early 00's. Only place worse was when I actually played at the Metrodome. Their clubhouses and field itself were shittier than my high school baseball facility. lol

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're going to have to restructure a whole new schedule for an 81 or 100 game season. Possibly foregoing Interleague play, making sure you get in all the divisional games and possibly shortening our non-Central American League series.

Could be no crosstown classic.

Also, have fun at that dump they call Tropicana. Man, that thing needs to be torpedoed yesterday. I was there in the early 00's. Only place worse was when I actually played at the Metrodome. Their clubhouses and field itself were shittier than my high school baseball facility. lol

I've gone to a lot of games at the Trop, but not in a while. Most memorable game, not in a good way, was July 4, 2003. Friday Night on the 4th. We had just traded for Alomar and Everett so the hype was building for the season. Colon put up 7 strong and we're up 3-1 going into the ninth. Carl Crawford hits a 3 run dong off Koch in the bottom of the ninth to walk it off and just absolutely destroy our momentum from that trade. I'm sitting right there in the 3rd row behind the Sox dugout. Our section, as you would expect from the Trop, is pretty much all Sox fans, so while the rest of the 12k or so people in the other sections are celebrating, our section is a freaking morgue. Total silence. Except for one guy as the Sox are walking it back in and Koch gets to the stairs he yells "YOUUUUUUU SSSSUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK KOOOOOOOCCCCHHHHH."

Did I mention that Crawford only had 1 HR that season, on opening day, to that point? Sigh.

Best thing about the Trop is that you could get seats up close cheap on game day from the box office once the stupid scalpers let em go. So I would drop 40-50 a ticket and bet in rows 3-5 right behind the dugout and just go early to basically just chill with the team as they stretched and warmed up if you get there right when the gates open. You can't really get away with that in any other stadiums. Of course, I haven't been to the Trop in about 5 years so it may be different now...but it was like that for the longest time.

Never forget that could have been our stadium had Reinsdorf not gotten the city to basically bend over and take it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gone to a lot of games at the Trop, but not in a while. Most memorable game, not in a good way, was July 4, 2003. Friday Night on the 4th. We had just traded for Alomar and Everett so the hype was building for the season. Colon put up 7 strong and we're up 3-1 going into the ninth. Carl Crawford hits a 3 run dong off Koch in the bottom of the ninth to walk it off and just absolutely destroy our momentum from that trade. I'm sitting right there in the 3rd row behind the Sox dugout. Our section, as you would expect from the Trop, is pretty much all Sox fans, so while the rest of the 12k or so people in the other sections are celebrating, our section is a freaking morgue. Total silence. Except for one guy as the Sox are walking it back in and Koch gets to the stairs he yells "YOUUUUUUU SSSSUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK KOOOOOOOCCCCHHHHH."

Did I mention that Crawford only had 1 HR that season, on opening day, to that point? Sigh.

Best thing about the Trop is that you could get seats up close cheap on game day from the box office once the stupid scalpers let em go. So I would drop 40-50 a ticket and bet in rows 3-5 right behind the dugout and just go early to basically just chill with the team as they stretched and warmed up if you get there right when the gates open. You can't really get away with that in any other stadiums. Of course, I haven't been to the Trop in about 5 years so it may be different now...but it was like that for the longest time.

Never forget that could have been our stadium had Reinsdorf not gotten the city to basically bend over and take it.

Trading Keith Foulke for Billy Koch was galaxy brain. I didn't get it then and don't now.

And yes... we were damn close to losing this team to St. Petersburg.