• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miscellaneous Stuff

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this in the old newspaper today:

Last year: First 23 games at AT&T 6 HRs

This year: First 23 games at AT&T 23 HRs

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge props to the FO for plugging the holes in the lineup, and to the coaches for developing the talent. And, oh yeah, to the players for working hard to improve.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge props to the FO for plugging the holes in the lineup, and to the coaches for developing the talent. And, oh yeah, to the players for working hard to improve.

Our lineup one year ago. Ugh. Panda was out with the hamate bone injury. We were still hoping, despite all the evidence, that Huff wasn't washed up. Posey was coming back from the horrible injury. Burriss? :gaah:

G Blanco RF
B Crawford SS
M Cabrera LF
B Posey C
A Pagan CF
A Huff 1B
J Arias 3B
E Burriss 2B

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our lineup one year ago. Ugh. Panda was out with the hamate bone injury. We were still hoping, despite all the evidence, that Huff wasn't washed up. Posey was coming back from the horrible injury. Burriss? :gaah:

G Blanco RF
B Crawford SS
M Cabrera LF
B Posey C
A Pagan CF
A Huff 1B
J Arias 3B
E Burriss 2B

Without Melky and his 51 hits in May, I don't know where we would have been. Posey didn't really pick it up until late June/Post-All Star break.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Melky and his 51 hits in May, I don't know where we would have been. Posey didn't really pick it up until late June/Post-All Star break.

They may not have made it to the playoffs. It's why the Giants are dirty, cheating cheaters who cheat!... unlike everyone else. ;)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not have made it to the playoffs. It's why the Giants are dirty, cheating cheaters who cheat!... unlike everyone else. ;)

We just cheat the wrong way.

The Padres do it the right way. When they cheat, they don't sully the league by winning when they do it.

Or the Dodgers.

Or the Brewers.

Or the Seahawks. (OK, I got a little carried away there)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

G Blanco RF
B Crawford SS
M Cabrera LF
B Posey C
A Pagan CF
A Huff 1B
J Arias 3B
E Burriss 2B

Amazing. Good stuff - really puts in in perspective. We are so fortunate to see the development of Belt, Crawford, Posey, Panda, and even Blanco (.870 OPS in May) as hitters, and add the acquisitions (and development, too) of Pence and Scoots. Even Pagan with his crappy May all around, I feel like he cares and I have confidence that he will get back to his second half 2012 form.

I love this "no-wholes" lineup.

Burriss indeed. That seems like years ago - Fred Lewis, Shea Hillenbrand, Eugenio, Garko, Molina hitting cleanup, et al - zombies from a bygone era.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date back in 2000 that Shawn Estes pitches a seven-hitter and becomes the first Giants pitcher in 51 years (Monte Kennedy-1949) to hit a grand slam en route to handing the Expos their worst defeat in franchise history, 18-0. The San Bernardino native just misses joining Tony Cloninger as the only major league pitcher to hit two slams in a game.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date back in 2000 that Shawn Estes pitches a seven-hitter and becomes the first Giants pitcher in 51 years (Monte Kennedy-1949) to hit a grand slam en route to handing the Expos their worst defeat in franchise history, 18-0. The San Bernardino native just misses joining Tony Cloninger as the only major league pitcher to hit two slams in a game.

Good stuff. I remember that game. When Shawn Estes pitched for the Padres, him, Brian Giles and their families came into a restaurant where I worked. Estes, Giles and someone I didn't recognize kept the closing manager there until 3 am, ordering cheap beers. Estes didn't pitch later that day, but Giles went 0 for 5, with 2 Ks. If I recall correctly, the Giants won 6-2. I wasn't the closing manager that night, but I would've done the exact same thing as my boss. A long night is definitely worth a win. Plus, I was hourly, and the owner encouraged pampering athletes and celebrities.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember that game - I was there. And I remember listening to the post-game on the radio on the drive home. At the time, the Giants had some sponsored in-game contest where a fan (random drawing) would win money if a grand-slam was hit. And I have this foggy recollection that it may have been if the GS was hit in one particular inning - ?the fifth? - they announced it before the inning started : "so-and-so could win XXX dollars if the Giants hit a grand slam this inning, courtesy of ...". After the game the fan was talking on the radio saying "man, I was so happy when my name was drawn for the contest. Then, it turns out to be the pitcher who is hitting with a possible grand slam. You gotta be kidding! I was so pissed. Then ... he knocked one outta there and I won (?$14,000?)!! It was a real roller-coaster of a day for me." (or something like that.)

I remember that Estes just sort of waved the bat at the pitch. It didn't look like he put much into the swing at all. But he must have hit it exactly on the sweet spot, and it musta been a fastball, because the ball just kept on carrying. Even Estes after the game said that he couldn't believe that the ball went out.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1964 that, in the night cap of a doubleheader at Shea Stadium, Gaylord Perry pitches 10 extra-inning frames in relief to get the win as the Giants beat the Mets in the longest game ever played in baseball history, 8-6. It is during the 7 hour, 23 minute, 22-inning marathon, the future Hall of Famer is reported to have thrown his first spitball in a major league game.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1964 that, in the night cap of a doubleheader at Shea Stadium, Gaylord Perry pitches 10 extra-inning frames in relief to get the win as the Giants beat the Mets in the longest game ever played in baseball history, 8-6. It is during the 7 hour, 23 minute, 22-inning marathon, the future Hall of Famer is reported to have thrown his first spitball in a major league game.

How did this thread get turned into "This Day in Giants' Cheating History?"

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The............................................, miscellaneous name of the thread?

:bolt:

I remember Orel Hershiser confessing that he used Johnson's Baby Shampoo up to four times a day.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright guys, if this was just a plain old raffle I'd say **ck off :D, but since it's for a great cause I'll post it here.

The Giants are holding a world series ring raffle for the fans to get a chance to win an actual World Series ring and more. All proceeds go to Junior Giants Foundation and tickets are surprisingly inexpensive. Here is a link to it:

https://secure.mlb.com/sf/community/gcf/ring_raffle.jsp

End June 9th, drawing is June 10th, announced during the game telecast on June 11th.