• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miles starting?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he does. I know we've been over the quarterback situation time and time again, but I'd love to see Price sit the OSU game out so we can get a good look at the possible future quarterback. All and all I liked what we saw from Miles on Friday, considering the situation he came into.

On that thought, I was listening to the start of Mitch's show on KJR this morning (as I usually do on my drive to work), and he said something like "I don't know if Miles is ready to go on the road and start a big game." Mitch never claims to be a big UW football fan, but I couldn't help but laugh to myself a little and wonder what team he's been following. What would lead anyone to think that Price is ready to go on the road and win a big game?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that thought, I was listening to the start of Mitch's show on KJR this morning (as I usually do on my drive to work), and he said something like "I don't know if Miles is ready to go on the road and start a big game." Mitch never claims to be a big UW football fan, but I couldn't help but laugh to myself a little and wonder what team he's been following. What would lead anyone to think that Price is ready to go on the road and win a big game?

That's exactly why I don't listen to that guys show anymore, especially this time of year, He brings up the 72 Dolphins everytime an undefeated team loses in the NFL, and some of the questions he asked during interviews is just like he doesn't follow the Dawgs, or M's.....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch would rather talk about golf, then football. He's utterly clueless on the Huskies, especially football and recruiting.

That being said. My take is this is not a "what do we have to lose?" situation. We got plenty to. A chance at 8-4 vs 7-5 and even 6-6. Losing our starting senior QB for a critical road game in Nov. is not optimal.

I'm glad Myles did get some garbage time reps this year, but hope Price can go for this very important game. But considering the blow was to his throwing shoulder, he very likely will be out.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, KP was 10/18 for 181yards in that game in the first half before he got injured. That's hardly the stat line of a guy not ready to play on the road. In fact his passing was insane that game. He was hitting everything down field. Averaging over 18y a pass is why you need him over Miles at this point. Miles could develop into the type of passer that Price is, but he clearly isn't there yet. I'm not saying he sucks, but he doesn't have the experience that Price does.

UW lost that game because of bad breaks by ASJ and Sankey. Price didn't do a single thing that caused that loss. In fact he lead the team back to within 10 at half time.

Miles? He scored one TD after the gift of the fumble on the opening kickoff of the half with a very short field and over the entire rest of the half made one other drive for a TD.

If Miles starts in this game I give us maybe a 30% chance of winning. If Price starts I give us a 55% chance of winning.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updates from Sark:

"UW will prepare all week as if Cyler Miles will start at OSU, but I don't count Price out."

If Myles does get the start, Sark had this to say about his game:

Expects him to run more than he did vs. UCLA. "He's a little more elusive than Jake Locker, but not quite as fast"

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW lost that game because of bad breaks by ASJ and Sankey. Price didn't do a single thing that caused that loss. In fact he lead the team back to within 10 at half time.

Miles? He scored one TD after the gift of the fumble on the opening kickoff of the half with a very short field and over the entire rest of the half made one other drive for a TD.

No, bad breaks are not what lost that game. Some bad calls/breaks didn't help, another game giving up over 100 penalty yards and soft defense lost the game. If one decent half is enough to restore your faith in Price more power to you. We all know what to expect from him at this point. Obviously if he is truly healthy and ready to go he gives the team a better chance of winning. But I wouldn't mind seeing Miles have the chance to go a complete game. Call it a "what do we got to lose" attitude if you want...

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Mitch goes, I enjoy his show for some lighthearted early morning banter that happens to be sports related. If you expect him to give you in-depth sports analysis you're listening for the wrong reason.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, bad breaks are not what lost that game. Some bad calls/breaks didn't help, another game giving up over 100 penalty yards and soft defense lost the game. If one decent half is enough to restore your faith in Price more power to you. We all know what to expect from him at this point. Obviously if he is truly healthy and ready to go he gives the team a better chance of winning. But I wouldn't mind seeing Miles have the chance to go a complete game. Call it a "what do we got to lose" attitude if you want...

It isn't just one half of play. Price was great against Stanford too. I mean everyone talks about that last play and he did throw that a bit low, but even getting a pass off was incredible considering the rush he was eluding and had ASJ not dropped another big play ball that pass never happens.

Price wasn't good at all against ASU, but what would we have expected from Miles when there was ZERO protection again either? Nothing worked for that team that day. It wasn't all on Price.

We saw clearly what Miles had last week. 2 TD in a full half of football play where one came on a short field turnover. Every other drive ended early. He also threw two late game picks on forced passes, something Price hasn't done since his first year as a starter.

With Miles you get more read option stuff and I'm sure they would let him throw down field, but not nearly as much as they allow Price now. He will do more dink and dunk with mixed runs, screens, and option plays. With Price you get runs, screens, and a mix of passing plays. But his experience cannot be understated.

Have faith in him? No, who would? This team in general has lost way too many winnable road games over Sarks entire tenure. Price has been bad in several of them. I still contend they have a better chance with Price if he is healthy than a break in rookie QB with a lot to learn.

Next year? Obviously I like our chances with a new QB and I really don't think it matters if it is Miles or Williams. Which ever Sark settles on will probably end up being more consistent on the road than Price, but they would have to work some to end up being better passers than he has been. Price will end up holding most UW passing records when he leaves and that's saying something with some of the great passers we have had. He has 19TD's and only 4 Int's and two of those 4 were just bad bounce picks, not because of bad throws. You really expect ANY rookie to come in and be better than that in their first year? You are delusional if you have that high of expectations from a first year QB.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listen to KJR far more often than KVI including Mitch. He isn't the greatest wealth of knowledge in college football, but he has plenty of big time guests on who are. I may not always agree with Millen, but you can't deny he gives you a lot of inside information and details others miss. But it is the national guests Mitch has on that separates his show from others.

Softy annoys me more than Mitch and he is about as big of a husky honk as you get. How big of a honk is he? We had Mahler in our company suite during a playoff game at safeco field. It was the game in '01 with Roger Clemons on the mound in the ALCS. As I recall Clemons got a 1 hitter in that game with Edger getting the only hit on the day. That game was so lopsided that both Softy and I went into the suite and watched the UW game on the TV in there. Probably the only two idiots in the entire stadium not watching the baseball. That's a honk. But his personality on the radio is obnoxious at times. Ever watched the post game player interviews and seen him pretty much bully his way to interrupting other reporters who are already asking questions? Watch it some time. I'd probably kick him if I was another reporter. Still, you get good info from his shows so why not listen?

Hell I even like furness and he is a coug.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Softy annoys me more than Mitch and he is about as big of a husky honk as you get. How big of a honk is he? We had Mahler in our company suite during a playoff game at safeco field. It was the game in '01 with Roger Clemons on the mound in the ALCS. As I recall Clemons got a 1 hitter in that game with Edger getting the only hit on the day..

Actually Wiz it wasn't Gar it was Al Martin, the outfielder that proclaimed he played TE at USC but that was proven wrong, I was there also and remember the white towels being tossed around, it looked like snow in October....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I couldn't remember who got the hit I just remember the M's were really not getting anything done. I don't even remember who UW was playing. We did have quite a few beers that day. I just remember going in and watching that game on TV during that baseball playoff game. Man that was a long time ago. Hell Mahler was at the game with his then fiance and that was his first wife.

I actually just looked it up and it wasn't '01 it was '00 and UW played at ASU that day. Tui's senior season.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch, it was two weeks later that Curtis Williams got hurt at the Stanford game. I still think about him every season.

CW, if you are up there reading this we still salute you sir.
:suds:

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, KP was 10/18 for 181yards in that game in the first half before he got injured. That's hardly the stat line of a guy not ready to play on the road. In fact his passing was insane that game. He was hitting everything down field. Averaging over 18y a pass is why you need him over Miles at this point. Miles could develop into the type of passer that Price is, but he clearly isn't there yet. I'm not saying he sucks, but he doesn't have the experience that Price does.

If Miles starts in this game I give us maybe a 30% chance of winning. If Price starts I give us a 55% chance of winning.[/QUOTE]
If Mannion starts for OR St, I give the Huskies a 55% chance of winning. If coach Riley decides to bench Mannion in favor of Vaz, I give the Huskies a 30% chance of winning. :gaah:

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, it worked out pretty well. :suds:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, it worked out pretty well. :suds:

As I said in the game thread Miles did what was asked of him and none of his mistakes were costly ones so his first start went better than you can probably expect. Still, they didn't ask much of him and on a night when your team gets the second highest team rushing total in school history I'm not sure you can say your rookie quarterback was the key to that win.

Not taking anything away from him, just keeping it real.

Miles was 15/24 for 161 and 1 TD. We will take that from a RSF starter in his first road game every time.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking anything away from him, just keeping it real.

Miles was 15/24 for 161 and 1 TD. We will take that from a RSF starter in his first road game every time.

Well when your offensive strength is running the ball, and your QB adds 15/24 for 161yds with a TD I would say that is being "real".......:suds:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing from the game thread last night:

Questions as to if Miles has a little hitch in his throwing motion, to me he's really textbook on mechanics with bring the ball up around his ear and throws with the perfect bend on his arm, if there might be question it could be the release? Not quick coming out? Well know more as he progresses and he's trying to squeeze the ball in tight locations...

I hate when the experts compare today's players with former player's, but to me watching him throw reminds me of Randall Cunningham....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Price's throwing motion and release and we are used to seeing it. Miles does come up higher over the top than maybe some others do, but he also doesn't look like he transfers his weight like we are used to seeing. I know Sark and Tui can work on his footwork and get that working better.

You did see several of his incomplete passes were really bad passes on his part. And of the 15 he completed at least 4-5 of them were still not great passes, but ended up as catches. He is raw for sure, and that's fine. Few kids come in and suddenly play like pros as first year starters. But you all saw him miss on several screen passes. A few ended up as drops and at least a couple were caught, but the receiver had to adjust to catch it and it prevented them from being able to turn up field and make a big play.

I'm not trying to find reasons to knock him. The worst case with a first year QB is they try to do too much when plays break down or otherwise try to force plays to make big plays when they aren't there and Miles didn't do that. The coaching staff put a limited game plan in place for him and you would have to give him a B grade on his execution of it.

The footwork and accuracy of those short passes are things that can be worked on and we should expect substantial growth fairly quickly. I'm sure Miles had a lot of butterflies as this was his first start and he knew how much was riding on this game for the program. That's a lot to deal with. He should be more relaxed and play more like they practice as he gets more game experience.

Price was suited up and that tells us a lot. He wouldn't have had pads on if he wasn't available in at least an emergency. Had the game been on the line and Miles was faltering Price was available to come in. I would say this very much means Price will likely start for the Apple Cup and their bowl. Unless Keith takes a step back I doubt we see Miles again until next year.

We got a quick look at one potential starter for next season and didn't lose a game doing it. That's a win.