• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Shanahan: Injuries aren't behind RGIII's struggles

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Robert has a lot of ability. He's a charismatic guy. He's got mobility. He's got arm strength. He's a very bright guy," Shanahan continued. "But he hasn't done things that the NFL asks you to do, and it does take some growing pains to go through that.

"I don't think getting hurt has anything to do with it," Shanahan told WJFK in Washington on Friday. "I think what you do is you rehab yourself and you get better. ... You don't have to have great running ability to run the read-option. You have to be able to know when to slide, when to throw the football away, depending on if you're running or passing."

I thought Shanahan was disastrous in Washington (but brilliant for most of his time in Denver), until Gruden stepped in and was even worse. Maybe it really isn't the coaching entirely. Maybe Griffin just isn't as good as everyone initially thought.

"You have to be able to know when to slide, when to throw the football away, depending on if you're running or passing"

I have been saying this for years now. You watch him play and it is obvious that he takes way too many chances and puts himself in danger of getting hurt many times each game. He doesn't understand that getting a few more yards is not worth the risk of getting hurt. You look at guys like Russell Wilson and he never gets hit because he knows when to slide, throw the ball away, and understands that the risk of gaining a couple of yards in not worth the risk of getting injured.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Robert has a lot of ability. He's a charismatic guy. He's got mobility. He's got arm strength. He's a very bright guy," Shanahan continued. "But he hasn't done things that the NFL asks you to do, and it does take some growing pains to go through that.

"I don't think getting hurt has anything to do with it," Shanahan told WJFK in Washington on Friday. "I think what you do is you rehab yourself and you get better. ... You don't have to have great running ability to run the read-option. You have to be able to know when to slide, when to throw the football away, depending on if you're running or passing."

I thought Shanahan was disastrous in Washington (but brilliant for most of his time in Denver), until Gruden stepped in and was even worse. Maybe it really isn't the coaching entirely. Maybe Griffin just isn't as good as everyone initially thought.

"You have to be able to know when to slide, when to throw the football away, depending on if you're running or passing"

I have been saying this for years now. You watch him play and it is obvious that he takes way too many chances and puts himself in danger of getting hurt many times each game. He doesn't understand that getting a few more yards is not worth the risk of getting hurt. You look at guys like Russell Wilson and he never gets hit because he knows when to slide, throw the ball away, and understands that the risk of gaining a couple of yards in not worth the risk of getting injured.
RGIII isn't as instinctive as many of the better QB's.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believed last year that Robert would have a great year , after watching his 1st pre season game I knew I was wrong.

Spoiler Alert: Preseason doesn't mean anything for wins and losses but Performance does. For the last 2 seasons Griffin has looked in preseason EXACTLY like he looked in the regular season. So I think it is safe to say that however he looks in Preseason games this summer will be exactly how he is going to look in the regular season opener.

With that said...Gruden made a HUGE mistake shielding Robert last preseason by playing him sparingly. Griffin did not even play in the final preseason game while Russell Wilson was not only playing in his final game of the preseason but Wilson was running and sliding and trying to win. It's what the Seahawks do....they go for broke on every play of every game, while Gruden seems to be a bit conservative and relaxed.

GRUDEN BETTER TAKE NOTE AND AMP UP.....OR HE WON'T BE HERE NEXT YEAR.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will also say this. I'm pretty certain that Mike Shanahan is on an unnecessary campaign to save face. I believe that's because he knows the truth: regardless of what a player decides to do on the field, his decisions are a reflection of the coach's efforts, or lack, thereof, to ensure that the player's fundamental mistakes are noted and corrected before they become a liability.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed 100 percent ...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good post and on the money IMO. I'm thinking perhaps be now Robert gets it, he better or he'll be done and that would be a shame, the guy has a ton of talent.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just becoming more and more apparent that Griffin is one of those guys who is such a good athlete that that alone made him dominant in college, but he either cannot or will not do what it takes to succeed in the NFL. There are generally 4 reasons why guys don't make it in the NFL: don't love it enough, injuries, can't learn, and off-field issues. RG3 may be encumbered by the first 3.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just becoming more and more apparent that Griffin is one of those guys who is such a good athlete that that alone made him dominant in college, but he either cannot or will not do what it takes to succeed in the NFL. There are generally 4 reasons why guys don't make it in the NFL: don't love it enough, injuries, can't learn, and off-field issues. RG3 may be encumbered by the first 3.
Number for two for sure, number three maybe, don't agree that he doesn't love it enough.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Shanahan makes some valid points. At the same time, he is probably not the right person to say that injuries have not significantly affected RGIII's career, since Shanahan is also the coach who allowed an essentially crippled RGIII to continue playing in that playoff game a few years ago, when it should have been obvious to anyone that he was unfit to play.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number for two for sure, number three maybe, don't agree that he doesn't love it enough.
Well I didn't really accuse him of not loving it enough, but I think it's at least possible. If Shanahan is true that he isn't doing what it takes to be a good Pro, the reason may be that he doesn't love the game enough to put that effort in and dedicate himself to his craft.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Shanahan should come clean and just tell the Redskins organisation he doesn't want RGIII as his quarterback.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Shanahan can coach, know that. Many people say he did not win anything since Elway. Well, his teams did average over ten wins a season over the next 7 years with out Elway, and I forgot how many SBs Elway won with out Shanahan. Anyone know?

Shanahan gets a reputation for finding the RBs. Well, he is quite a QB guru too. Ask Steve Young what he did for his game. Shanahan made Brian Griese a pro bowl QB. He made Jake Plummer a pro bowler. He made Jay Cutler a pro bowler for Gods sake, and lest we forget RGIII was rookie of the year, won the NFC East and was also a pro bowler under Shanahan.

Now, how does Shanahan draft? Not great. Not horrible. His main problem other than his massive ego (what great HC in any sport does not have that) is his inability to have a solid defense where ever he coaches.