• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Richards Is On Waivers And I'm Blown Away

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fucking shit this is happening

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am stunned. How the mighty have fallen. Just incredible.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
look at that contract...who the hell would give him that!

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if nobody signs him?

He can't be signed, he is still under the same 12 year/$69 million deal the Flyers gave him. Waivers will only clear up a roster spot (if unclaimed). If someone claims him, that team will now be liable for the duration of the contract and LA clears up a roster spot for a move, which they need to make.

If he clears Waivers, he will assigned to the AHL team (Manchester) but his cap hit will remain on the books for LA and he will still be paid his $5.75 million. The Kings will only get $925,000 in cap relief - not much to acquire what they need, which is a solid SAH defender right now.

Best case scenario for LA is someone picks him up, which means the balance of his deal is off the books entirely and clears up $5.75 million in cap space for LA.

He was huge for the Kings in 2012, not as much in 2013 or 2014 but made some big plays and big goals in both those Cup runs. Watching him on a nightly basis, he is a shell of his former self. I have always liked him even when he was a Flyer, his downturn is shocking since it happened so fast.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there are 100 articles whether Philly fans want him back. I say sure, what's a little more cap hell. $5.75 for a 4th line center, sounds about right for us.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Homer won this deal. Simmonds and B Schenn for Richie!! At least Homer got one or two things right. :agree:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good trade for both teams but Philly definitely won in the long-term. Same as the Carter trade. Love Richie but I'm guessing that his body simply broke down due to his style of play. At the same time if his contract wasn't as shitty he'd sign somewhere.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even when he was with the Flyers, Richards was a glorified 3rd line center. He's not the point producer that's required for a 1st or 2nd line center, he's an all-world grinder. That's not worth 5.75 mil, and it wasn't worth 5.75 mil when he signed the deal.

That trade, and the Carter trade, IMO, are two of the best trades in recent memory. For any team.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even when he was with the Flyers, Richards was a glorified 3rd line center. He's not the point producer that's required for a 1st or 2nd line center, he's an all-world grinder. That's not worth 5.75 mil, and it wasn't worth 5.75 mil when he signed the deal.

That trade, and the Carter trade, IMO, are two of the best trades in recent memory. For any team.

Wat?

In 2007-08 through 2010-11 he had 75, 80, 62 and 66 points in those four seasons - that's NOT third line center production - that is excellent production that at the very worst, is second line worthy - he also had 49 playoff points in those 57 playoff games in those four seasons

What he's done with the Kings is third line production, yes, but there's no way in hell that his production in his last four seasons with the Flyers was third line production - that's just flat out bogus

When the Flyers signed him to that deal, he flat out performed up to that level in the first three years of that deal but when he went to the Kings, the production went down partly because of a concussion he had in his first season there, he hasn't recovered from it because of that

I'm tired of people saying that he wasn't that great even with the Flyers - that's flat out bullshit

Those two trades were the best the Flyers have had in a while because those two were big time producers and they took advantage of that and got two young players that could give them lots of production - it looks good now because Richie's numbers are down but that was a damn good trade for both teams at the time and the first few years of the contract, Richie flat out earned it and did just about everything possible to win this team a cup - two wins away from winning a cup and he was a point a game producer in that playoff run and scored one of the most memorable goals with the Flyers - he did literally everything in his power to win them that cup and if the goaltending didn't choke in the finals, he would have been revered forever and ever and ever

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wat?

In 2007-08 through 2010-11 he had 75, 80, 62 and 66 points in those four seasons - that's NOT third line center production - that is excellent production that at the very worst, is second line worthy - he also had 49 playoff points in those 57 playoff games in those four seasons

What he's done with the Kings is third line production, yes, but there's no way in hell that his production in his last four seasons with the Flyers was third line production - that's just flat out bogus

When the Flyers signed him to that deal, he flat out performed up to that level in the first three years of that deal but when he went to the Kings, the production went down partly because of a concussion he had in his first season there, he hasn't recovered from it because of that

I'm tired of people saying that he wasn't that great even with the Flyers - that's flat out bullshit

Those two trades were the best the Flyers have had in a while because those two were big time producers and they took advantage of that and got two young players that could give them lots of production - it looks good now because Richie's numbers are down but that was a damn good trade for both teams at the time and the first few years of the contract, Richie flat out earned it and did just about everything possible to win this team a cup - two wins away from winning a cup and he was a point a game producer in that playoff run and scored one of the most memorable goals with the Flyers - he did literally everything in his power to win them that cup and if the goaltending didn't choke in the finals, he would have been revered forever and ever and ever

Those numbers might be worth 5.75 mil now, but they weren't at the time. He was overpaid then, just not to the amount he's overpaid now due to the drop in production. 5.75 in 2009 was similar to Zetterberg (6.0 starting in 2010), getzlaf (5.3), perry (5.1), and marleau (6.3). He was not on their level and didn't deserve that contract.

3rd line might be harsh, but 5.75 was a hell of a lot of for a 2nd line center back then.

I like the guy, but the pedestal some Flyers fans put him on is over the top. He was a good player, loved his heart, loved how he put up in the playoffs. But to hold Richards in the regard that he is, primarily for his playoff performances, is being hypocritical. Briere is held to a quarter of that regard and I would argue his 30 points in 23 games, leading the ENTIRE NHL, was just as much, if not more so, the reason the Flyers came within inches of the cup in 2010.

Briere's contract at 6.5, a mere 800k more than savior Mike Richards, was, and still is, regarded as one of the worst contracts of Homer's tenure. And that is the flat out bull shit of it all.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those numbers might be worth 5.75 mil now, but they weren't at the time. He was overpaid then, just not to the amount he's overpaid now due to the drop in production. 5.75 in 2009 was similar to Zetterberg (6.0 starting in 2010), getzlaf (5.3), perry (5.1), and marleau (6.3). He was not on their level and didn't deserve that contract.

3rd line might be harsh, but 5.75 was a hell of a lot of for a 2nd line center back then.

I like the guy, but the pedestal some Flyers fans put him on is over the top. He was a good player, loved his heart, loved how he put up in the playoffs. But to hold Richards in the regard that he is, primarily for his playoff performances, is being hypocritical. Briere is held to a quarter of that regard and I would argue his 30 points in 23 games, leading the ENTIRE NHL, was just as much, if not more so, the reason the Flyers came within inches of the cup in 2010.

Briere's contract at 6.5, a mere 800k more than savior Mike Richards, was, and still is, regarded as one of the worst contracts of Homer's tenure. And that is the flat out bull shit of it all.

I love Danny Briere, and he's one of my favorite Flyers ever and I defend him all the time when people shit talk him

That being said, Danny Briere was similar later in his career like Mike Richards is now, where the regular season production was low but in the playoffs he stepped up - if you're going to give Danny Briere credit for that then Mike Richards has to get credit for what he did in the playoffs to help the Kings win two cups as well because the impacts were similar(maybe not necessarily in points but in all areas)

It was very similar in how Danny's tenure with the Flyers ended and how it looks like it will end with Mike Richards and the Kings - they both had great leadership qualities and lots of heart and they're great in the playoffs, but both teams had to get rid of those salaries because of the cap and the fact they had other needs(however in this case I'd argue that Slava Voynov's idiocy was the only reason why it came down to this with Mike Richards, both guys would still be with the Kings if Slava didn't pull the shit he did which cost the Kings big time)

Really both guys are very similar players actually

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Danny Briere, and he's one of my favorite Flyers ever and I defend him all the time when people shit talk him

That being said, Danny Briere was similar later in his career like Mike Richards is now, where the regular season production was low but in the playoffs he stepped up - if you're going to give Danny Briere credit for that then Mike Richards has to get credit for what he did in the playoffs to help the Kings win two cups as well because the impacts were similar(maybe not necessarily in points but in all areas)

It was very similar in how Danny's tenure with the Flyers ended and how it looks like it will end with Mike Richards and the Kings - they both had great leadership qualities and lots of heart and they're great in the playoffs, but both teams had to get rid of those salaries because of the cap and the fact they had other needs(however in this case I'd argue that Slava Voynov's idiocy was the only reason why it came down to this with Mike Richards, both guys would still be with the Kings if Slava didn't pull the shit he did which cost the Kings big time)

Really both guys are very similar players actually

well my points aren't useful at all when I'm talking with another Briere sympathizer! :gaah: :suds:

all I'm saying is, I didn't like Richie's contract when he signed it and I'm glad it's biting the Kings instead of the Flyers. Like the player a lot, but I was happy they dealt him. I thought Carter was the riskier trade (turned out even better though because Jake is a BEAST).

I was trying to find threads where I said that at the time so you believe it's not hindsight :)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha no worries.. i cant wait to see this team.. in my limited knowledge (basically just who was involved) i thought we would have more space.. thought maybe we'd make a run at one of the d-men from vancouver.. unfortunately i didnt realize after bonuses shenn would make 3 mil.. or that voracek and simmonds needed to be signed.. even though i'm sure they will be

i really think the flyers are fine up front..

jvr.giroux.voracek
hartnell.briere.leino
simmonds.shenn.versteeg
powe.betts.nodl

pronger.mesz
coburn.timo
carle.(gust/OD/bart)

bryz
(bob/leighton)

i think that team has a ton of potential.. i really faded on richards this year, i actually liked carter more than him.. i'm not really terribly upset to see either of them go, never grew a strong bond to them for whatever reason.. i just always thought they didn't care enough.. would show spurts of caring a lot, but then fade into oblivion for a while.. going through a 3 month slump with those guys as the core was an annual thing, not some mystery.. they got bored with the game and partied instead, there was no question

i cant decide if i think homer is going to try to move bob now.. he's still a great prospect.. and even though bryz is signed for 9 years, i dont think he'll play that many.. maybe 5-6.. is it worth hanging on to bob, let him grow, and then see what happens around when his contract is up? or is his return high enough now that it could help the team?

so many questions. but god am i excited to see simmonds/shenn/voracek.. every one of them brings something that i want to see

wonder if this will work? best I can do.. from a thread right after the trade (fun thread 4706, you started it haha.. was the day after I moved to cali)

doesn't give a timestamp: http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/philadelphia-flyers/36885-guess-who-cant-sleep.html#post855266

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well my points aren't useful at all when I'm talking with another Briere sympathizer! :gaah: :suds:

all I'm saying is, I didn't like Richie's contract when he signed it and I'm glad it's biting the Kings instead of the Flyers. Like the player a lot, but I was happy they dealt him. I thought Carter was the riskier trade (turned out even better though because Jake is a BEAST).

I was trying to find threads where I said that at the time so you believe it's not hindsight :)

I'm not saying I don't believe you, the point is, both players were very similar in how they ended up with the Flyers and Kings respectively so it's hard to be all in with one guy and not like the other - I love both of those players

I thought the Richie trade was still riskier at the time because you were trading the captain of the team and I don't think everyone thought Wayne Simmonds was going to be a 30 goal scorer right away - I knew Couts was a gem defensively at least and Jake could be a good solid player when they traded Carts for them

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying I don't believe you, the point is, both players were very similar in how they ended up with the Flyers and Kings respectively so it's hard to be all in with one guy and not like the other - I love both of those players

I thought the Richie trade was still riskier at the time because you were trading the captain of the team and I don't think everyone thought Wayne Simmonds was going to be a 30 goal scorer right away - I knew Couts was a gem defensively at least and Jake could be a good solid player when they traded Carts for them

I can agree with that. Both players I think were overpaid, but they were definitely easy to love as players. All heart, came up big in the playoffs. Unfortunately in a cap world, it's important get more than just playoff performances from your big $$ guys.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Homer won this deal. Simmonds and B Schenn for Richie!! At least Homer got one or two things right. :agree:

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

Richards brought two Cups to LA, and while Simmonds and Schenn are decent players they haven't won anything yet except popularity contests.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

Richards brought two Cups to LA, and while Simmonds and Schenn are decent players they haven't won anything yet except popularity contests.

I always hate the championships argument. He didn't bring them to LA. The team did. He may have helped, but championships should not be an individual statistics. JMO.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always hate the championships argument. He didn't bring them to LA. The team did. He may have helped, but championships should not be an individual statistics. JMO.

Wayne Simmonds has been great but Brayden Schenn is turning into a legitimate disappointment - all things considered, Mike Richards is putting up the same production or similar to Brayden Schenn plus he has the two cups, so I think the case can be made that the Kings DID win that trade

But I don't think the championships thing should be the only argument, but it is PART of it