• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Francesca criticizes Daniel Murphy Paternity leave

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Francesca is a freaking moron who needs to shut his fing mouth!

It's ridiculous to think that a player shouldn't be with his wife after a birth of their child. This is a GAME compared to an ACTUAL LIFE... I'm sorry... I'm going with child over a game any day of the week.

I really don't care that Murph took those two paternity days but I think a lot of people are really overreacting to Francesca's comments. It's not like missing those few hours would have turned him into an absent father nor is it likely that he really did a whole lot while with his wife anyway. Francesca's probably right in saying that he likely mostly sat in a hospital room looking at his wife while other family members visited.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing to take into consideration.....this is not his first opening day and who knows this may be his only child

It's their 1st child.......and sometimes there are complications even a day or 2 after the birth...but thank goodness for them there wasn't. And like Murphy himself said, due to the team's schedule, they won't be down in Florida until early May, and his wife and child won't be allowed to travel up to NY for at least 2-3 weeks.

I can't believe francesa, boomer and carton chose to take the low brow neanderthal route in this.
Wait...strike that...actually I can believe they did that. I used to listen to WFAN.
:L

Thank goodness they're no longer the Mets flagship station.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that fucker Carton. I would love to run into him in midtown one of these days so I can break his jaw

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't care that Murph took those two paternity days but I think a lot of people are really overreacting to Francesca's comments. It's not like missing those few hours would have turned him into an absent father nor is it likely that he really did a whole lot while with his wife anyway. Francesca's probably right in saying that he likely mostly sat in a hospital room looking at his wife while other family members visited.

It wasn't just him saying it though. I get they have a "right" to say it but come on this was his FIRST child. I don't care if he just sat in the hospitals parking lot until the child was born. I would want to be there to see this instead of missing it to "play."

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good ole Francesspool...

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't just him saying it though. I get they have a "right" to say it but come on this was his FIRST child. I don't care if he just sat in the hospitals parking lot until the child was born. I would want to be there to see this instead of missing it to "play."

I guess I just don't understand your point of view.

What exactly would the difference be between sitting in a hospital parking lot while your child is born and sitting in a dug out while he is born? He wouldn't be "playing". He would be "working". I think it's fine that he took time off of work but some of you guys are making it sound like he should be incarcerated for child abuse had he not have taken those two days off.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't understand your point of view.

What exactly would the difference be between sitting in a hospital parking lot while your child is born and sitting in a dug out while he is born? He wouldn't be "playing". He would be "working". I think it's fine that he took time off of work but some of you guys are making it sound like he should be incarcerated for child abuse had he not have taken those two days off.

WHAT?

I am saying Murphy did the RIGHT thing and Francesca is an idiot for blasting him for leaving the Mets

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is whether we agree with the guy's decision or not, it's none of our damned business. And I'm hearing now that Murphy took the high road and his manager fully supports him. Fuck Francesca.

The Mets from top to bottom completely supported this and were quite vocal about it. This is just Francessa trying to get some attn. becuz his fuckin show is so bad he can't keep anyone listening to his garbage.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHP, serious question: do you have any children?

If the answer is yes, and you're saying it's no big deal to have missed any of their births, then that's your choice and nobody should criticize you for it, just like nobody should criticize Murphy for taking the days off that are allowed by his employer. All any of those guys had to say was, "Good for him, but I wouldn't have done it like that."

If the answer is no, you don't have any kids, then you probably shouldn't make those kind of statements yet. Your wife might really want you there, and you might not want to miss it. When I was single, I never expected to have kids at all and I surely wasn't interested in witnessing a birth, because they're messy...but i was there for both of my kids' births and I have no regrets.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any parent that misses the birth of thier chiild - by their own accord - is a deadbeat.

MLB need to re-evaluate their paternity leave rules. Three games is not enough time to bring a child into the world. Most hospitals are requiring the mom and baby to stay in the hospital for three days - regardless of birth method.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHP, serious question: do you have any children?

If the answer is yes, and you're saying it's no big deal to have missed any of their births, then that's your choice and nobody should criticize you for it, just like nobody should criticize Murphy for taking the days off that are allowed by his employer. All any of those guys had to say was, "Good for him, but I wouldn't have done it like that."

If the answer is no, you don't have any kids, then you probably shouldn't make those kind of statements yet. Your wife might really want you there, and you might not want to miss it. When I was single, I never expected to have kids at all and I surely wasn't interested in witnessing a birth, because they're messy...but i was there for both of my kids' births and I have no regrets.

I have two boys and a girl.

I don't care that Murphy took paternity leave. I just think most of you are taking the criticism way too far. The idea that not being in the room for a child's birth makes you a deadbeat father is just idiotic.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't care that Murphy took paternity leave. I just think most of you are taking the criticism way too far. The idea that not being in the room for a child's birth makes you a deadbeat father is just idiotic.

It was paraphrased with, 'of your own accord'. Obviosly some good dads might be stationed overseas or out of state or whatever... But if you have the time off and you are not there, you're a tool. Plain and simple.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was paraphrased with, 'of your own accord'. Obviosly some good dads might be stationed overseas or out of state or whatever... But if you have the time off and you are not there, you're a tool. Plain and simple.

:agree:

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so glad they replaced his fat ass on YES with Michael Kay. That show been going downhill ever since Mad Dog left

I listened to the show for a time years ago when it was on YES in the background. Mad Dog was definitely a good compliment to Francesa. Definitely feel Mike's ego and sense-of-self bloated to fill the void.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea i miss the days when it was mike and the mad dog. those were the best

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lame:

Each and every one of us has shreds of moral fiber. Some of us have your mentality of it doesn't matter where you are when the child is born and some of us believe you MUST be there when the child is born.

If it were me? I wouldn't miss the birth of my first child for the world. Yeah, I don't care if I'm missing work because of it. I'd tell my boss to kiss my ass if he or she told me I couldn't go to the hospital if my wife is in labor. Obviously you feel different about the issue and since I don't know your character or your upbringing, I don't have a right to judge you. However, I do have to question the reasoning for people that wouldn't be there for their children's birth.

Let's look at it this way. Daniel Murphy has played in 644 MLB games (as of April 19). I don't think missing two games is really that detrimental to the team, especially when he played in 156 games in 2012 and 161 games in 2013. He's played a lot more in the last two years then most of the players in the league...damn near all.

As far as Francesca is concerned, he's a douchebag for saying that. It's not like Murphy left the team without saying a word. He was allowed 3 days of maternity leave and he took 3 days of maternity leave. I don't think I've ever seen such an outrage over a non-issue in my life of watching baseball. Francesca was making a mountain out anthill (not even going to dignify calling it a molehill). Now, if Murphy disappeared for three days without a word and then came back and said he was at his child's birth, then I might have an issue with it. However, he had received leave from the team. There is not one damn thing wrong with what he did so I don't see why it's such a big deal.