• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mel Kiper's Grade A 3 round choices for 49ers

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers

Top needs: FS, TE, DL, CB, WR

Rd. 1 (31) DE Datone Jones, UCLA
Rd. 2 (34) S Matt Elam, Florida (via Kansas City)
Rd. 2 (61) TE Dion Sims, Michigan St.
Rd. 3 (74) DT Jesse Williams, Alabama (via Carolina)
Rd. 3 (93) (Traded to Chicago)

Analysis: Datonesetter! That's not my nickname -- that's the one Gruden gave Jones, a player he really likes on tape. I drafted Jones to rotate in as a 3-4 DE and provide some rest to the great Justin Smith, who will be 34 in September. I get the safety this team needs early in Round 2. Elam has great instincts, and the coaches will love him. Sims isn't a brilliant pass-catcher, but he's a physical presence and can drag defenders with him, helping to fill the hole left by the departure of Delanie Walker. Finally, I grab Williams in Round 3 to work in as the future nose tackle. That second third-round pick I sent to the Bears for a future two. I'm feeling pretty good about this roster anyway -- it's time to stock up for the future.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Lol.. This mock is right up my alley!!! lol.. I'm not a huge fan of the TE at #61, I think that should be a corner for us. I am not terribly high on Elam, as I feel he is purely a SS prospect, however we are losing Whitner next year so maybe it is a preemptive strike.

I like moving 93 for a two next year. I wonder if he heard something through the grapevine re: Chicago.. Although, if it came between moving #93 or getting Lattimore, I would take Lattimore 100/100

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's a Borat draft.

Dontane Jones - you would be loved by everyone in my country. The rest of you, not so much...

Just kind of blah. Really like getting the Bears 2nd though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lol.. This mock is right up my alley!!! lol.. I'm not a huge fan of the TE at #61, I think that should be a corner for us. I am not terribly high on Elam, as I feel he is purely a SS prospect, however we are losing Whitner next year so maybe it is a preemptive strike.

I like moving 93 for a two next year. I wonder if he heard something through the grapevine re: Chicago.. Although, if it came between moving #93 or getting Lattimore, I would take Lattimore 100/100

yeah, given a choice ('equal' value) between TE and CB, i'd go CB too. in this case, seems we might as well secure Williams first? isn't Williams projected to go higher than that?

we expect Baalke to trade into 2014 some time, so #93 works for me too.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want nothing to do with Elam. We are already hamstrung by our short SS.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I want nothing to do with Elam. We are already hamstrung by our short SS.

but shouldn't it be performance first, height second? if you're saying he can't perform, then i can buy it, but not just being short.

better than drafting a prototype FS (physically), who can't perform.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but shouldn't it be performance first, height second? if you're saying he can't perform, then i can buy it, but not just being short.

better than drafting a prototype FS (physically), who can't perform.

Deep, where you are wrong is by not taking what translates to the NFL. Just because a 5'8 linebacker is a beast doesn't mean that his size (or lack thereof) translates to NFL success. We see the shortcomings of Whitner (pun intended) and Elam would be like Whitner v2.0 IMO.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think we will get Elam.

Apparantly we had a lot of interest in Shamarko Thomas around the combine. I wouldn't be opposed to him AND Philip Thomas.. THE THOMAS'!!! We gonna make your WR into an English Muffin!!!!!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deep, where you are wrong is by not taking what translates to the NFL. Just because a 5'8 linebacker is a beast doesn't mean that his size (or lack thereof) translates to NFL success. We see the shortcomings of Whitner (pun intended) and Elam would be like Whitner v2.0 IMO.

yeah, a 5'-8" beast who performed in college, is no guarantee in the NFL. but what about a 6'-2" non-performing college LB, wouldn't his guarantee be even lower?

if you only had two choices, both on the extreme ends....one who performed (college career) but doesn't have physical size; the other with physical size but didn't do jack, who has better odds of translating to the NFL?

which guy would YOU draft? for me, i'd go with what game film proves.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, a 5'-8" beast who performed in college, is no guarantee in the NFL. but what about a 6'-2" non-performing college LB, wouldn't his guarantee be even lower?

if you only had two choices, both on the extreme ends....one who performed (college career) but doesn't have physical size; the other with physical size but didn't do jack, who has better odds of translating to the NFL?

which guy would YOU draft? for me, i'd go with what game film proves.

Who is the 6-2 LB? And in what possibly situation is a team stuck choosing between two players, and only two players?

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers

Top needs: FS, TE, DL, CB, WR

Rd. 1 (31) DE Datone Jones, UCLA
Rd. 2 (34) S Matt Elam, Florida (via Kansas City)
Rd. 2 (61) TE Dion Sims, Michigan St.
Rd. 3 (74) DT Jesse Williams, Alabama (via Carolina)
Rd. 3 (93) (Traded to Chicago)

Analysis: Datonesetter! That's not my nickname -- that's the one Gruden gave Jones, a player he really likes on tape. I drafted Jones to rotate in as a 3-4 DE and provide some rest to the great Justin Smith, who will be 34 in September. I get the safety this team needs early in Round 2. Elam has great instincts, and the coaches will love him. Sims isn't a brilliant pass-catcher, but he's a physical presence and can drag defenders with him, helping to fill the hole left by the departure of Delanie Walker. Finally, I grab Williams in Round 3 to work in as the future nose tackle. That second third-round pick I sent to the Bears for a future two. I'm feeling pretty good about this roster anyway -- it's time to stock up for the future.

:wtf2: where does this guy come up with this shit?!?!?!?