• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meeting the president

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Seattle did what ever winner dose now, and meet the president. Here's ESPN article on it. Hopefuuly they have to do this trip again next year.:yahoo:

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- President Barack Obama's opening lines dared to target a player that offenses often stay away from.
But this was his house -- the White House to be exact -- and Obama was ready to have a little fun at Richard Sherman's expense.
"I considered letting Sherman up here to the podium and giving him the mic," Obama said Wednesday as he welcomed the reigning Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks. "But we gotta go in a little bit."
But there was no need for Sherman to say much of anything at this point. And, in fact, he didn't say a word. Besides, it was time for Obama to command the room and heap praise on the Seahawks, mixing in jokes with admiration for what they accomplished.
[+] EnlargeChip Somodevilla/Getty ImagesThe Super Bowl champion Seahawks presented President Barack Obama with a "12th Man" banner during their visit Wednesday at the White House.

Even that led to a little fun.
"Of course, I don't need to tell you how outstanding the Seahawks are because they did a pretty good job of describing themselves," Obama said. "You may have heard of the Legion of Boom."
Obama then rattled off the names of Seattle's starting defensive backs -- Sherman, safety Earl Thomas, safety Kam Chancellor and corner Byron Maxwell, calling them "the best secondary in the NFL."
Then Obama turned to the defensive line, which he called dominating.
"Guys like Michael Bennett, Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane, Brandon Mebane's Jelly roll dance," Obama said to laughter. "You can't do that here in the White House."
Running back Marshawn Lynch was one of a handful of players who did not attend, but he was on the President's mind. Lynch gained attention for not speaking to the media throughout the season and whether he would talk during Super Bowl week became a storyline.
"I'm sorry he's not here," Obama said. "Because I want to say how much I admire his approach to the press. I want to get some tips from him."
To which someone in attendance shouted out: "It's about the action!" -- a line Obama then repeated.
It was that kind of afternoon in the East Room of the White House -- funny lines followed by laughter or factual lines preceding big applause -- like when Obama pointed out how the Seahawks beat the rival San Francisco 49ers in the playoffs. That drew heartier cheers than when he mentioned the 35-point margin over the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl.

What impressed Obama was the back stories of the players, such as quarterback Russell Wilson.
"He's only the second African American quarterback to ever win the Super Bowl, and the best part about it is no one commented on it," Obama said. "Part of the reason Russell inspired a lot of folks is he's been proving the doubters wrong for a very long time. For years, folks said he's too short to succeed as quarterback in the NFL. Five quarterbacks were drafted ahead of him -- a familiar story for a lot of the Seahawks."
Obama was well-versed on many of the Seahawks players' background -- 19 formerly undrafted players were part of the roster; three starters in the secondary were drafted in the fifth round or later; the receiving corps was called pedestrian.
"So let me say as a guy who was elected President named Barack Obama, I root for the underdogs," he said. "Seeing folks overcome the odds excites me. It also excites me when you see the whole being greater than the sum of the parts, and that's what this team is all about."
And yes, it's about Sherman.

Obama recounted the star cornerback's story in short form: Grew up in Compton, California around gangs and drugs; father awoke at 4 a.m. to drive a garbage truck; earned a 4.2 GPA in high school.
"He showed kids from his neighborhood that they could make it," Obama said. "If he seems brash, it's because you have to have attitude sometimes if you're going to overcome adversity."
The 12th Man was noted as well -- Sherman even presented the President a 12th Man flag after the event.
"You can't talk about the Seahawks without talking about the 12th Man," Obama said. "Part of that is you all have that stadium, which is kind of cheating. You hired some physicist ... There's a lot of really smart people at Microsoft and other places that design these things. ... The 12s set a record not once, but twice for the loudest crowd noise in history. Now, history's a long time. [It was] so loud on occasion they actually created minor earthquakes, which is disturbing."

The aftershock of the Super Bowl for coach Pete Carroll was simply being at Obama's residence.
"Thank you Mr. President," Carroll said. "I can't believe I'm saying that."
But Carroll wanted Obama to know something.
"I do know you have access to some of the great special force units," Carroll said, turning to his right to address the President. "But I want you to know that just a phone call away is the Boom."
"For some sort of special mission," Obama responded.
"We're just a phone call away," Carroll said.
Or, perhaps, a repeat.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BoLDHiZCQAItYSX.jpg

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I do know you have access to some of the great special force units," Carroll said, turning to his right to address the President. "But I want you to know that just a phone call away is the Boom."
"For some sort of special mission," Obama responded.
"We're just a phone call away," Carroll said.

I got to say this cracked me up.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's awesome. I've got to watch this when I get home.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Browner didn't look very happy...

Neither did Golden Tate. To add to your point though, when Obama mentioned the LOB as Sherman, Thomas, Kam, & Maxwell, BB didn't look too pleased. Considering that he was an original member I don't blame him, but if he wanted to continue as such he should have laid off of the pipe until the offseason. Just sayin'.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither did Golden Tate. To add to your point though, when Obama mentioned the LOB as Sherman, Thomas, Kam, & Maxwell, BB didn't look too pleased. Considering that he was an original member I don't blame him, but if he wanted to continue as such he should have laid off of the pipe until the offseason. Just sayin'.

Brandon Browner doesn't have any right to be pissed. Yes he was an original, but he screwd himself over so he can only blame himself and no one else.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Browner doesn't have any right to be pissed. Yes he was an original, but he screwd himself over so he can only blame himself and no one else.

:agree:
He got a ring and he got to visit the White House as part of the team. I'd say the team has done good by him all things considered.

When he was on the team he knew damn well how deep we were at his position. He has no one to blame, it was his own mistakes that gave his backups a chance to shine.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved when he asked JS where his championship belt was...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pulled off very well. Entertaining for sure. Something for Seahawks players to remember.

Stratman72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care who the president was on this day. Hawks have been waiting for a long time to get to do this, and I am happy as hell to see it. The looks on RW's Sherms and Earls faces taking selfies all over the White House was all I needed to see. Boys made me proud today and they deserved every minute of a very unique opportunity.

Go Hawks!!!!1

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys see golden tates Seahawk lofers? He was not ticked to be there. The "body language police" need to stop, your never right. Just trying to sniff out drama. Go watch the kardashians if thats what your looking for.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome vid featuring The Prez.

Way cool and worth the decades wait!!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
He got a ring and he got to visit the White House as part of the team. I'd say the team has done good by him all things considered.

When he was on the team he knew damn well how deep we were at his position. He has no one to blame, it was his own mistakes that gave his backups a chance to shine.

Totally agree! The Seahawks could have told him to stay home given the circumstances, but class act by the front office to put the past behind and let him be there with his friends. His screw up did allow us to see what our depth at the position looked like, and damn did JS/PC hit a homerun on these guys.

Stratman72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree! The Seahawks could have told him to stay home given the circumstances, but class act by the front office to put the past behind and let him be there with his friends. His screw up did allow us to see what our depth at the position looked like, and damn did JS/PC hit a homerun on these guys.

Just giving him the ring and going to the WH shows me that the FO thinks his suspension was bogus also. They had his back.

Obama's guys( don't know shit) wrote his speech and not the Hawks. You could see it bothered him when the Prez didn't mention him. Can't say I blame him, but he has no one to blame but himself.

BB was an integral part of the building of the LOB. It would of been nice for him to get a little bit of credit IMHO.! :bawling:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just giving him the ring and going to the WH shows me that the FO thinks his suspension was bogus also. They had his back.

Obama's guys( don't know shit) wrote his speech and not the Hawks. You could see it bothered him when the Prez didn't mention him. Can't say I blame him, but he has no one to blame but himself.

BB was an integral part of the building of the LOB. It would of been nice for him to get a little bit of credit IMHO.! :bawling:

If the FO thought the susp was bogus he would be back on this team. Too me, the FO saw the writing on the wall with another susp looming and they had enough.

The Hawks allowing BB to be at the WH is credit enough.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beast mode didn't attend? I thought he and Obama were pretty good friends considering all the pictures I've seen of the two of them together.

Edit : Nevermind, I just realized that it was actually his wife in those pics.

Last edited by a moderator: