• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McVay is right

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean McVay would like to see NFL expand gameday rosters beyond 46 players

NFL rosters are large by most sports’ standards. Teams are allowed to have 53 players on the active roster, while also holding 10 players on the practice squad. Rosters have to be huge because of the fact that there are 11 starters on each side of the ball, to go along with special teams players and plenty of backups to rotate in.

Each week, though, teams can have just 46 players dress for the game. That means seven players from the active roster won’t be able to play, which limits the number of options the coach has in a given week.

Sean McVay, like many coaches, isn’t a fan of the gameday roster rule. He would like to see the NFL expand the rosters from 46 to a larger number – and not just because the Rams are often presented with chances to rest players, which is made harder by the limited number of players they can play.

“Absolutely, you would. And really, it’s such a competitive league, for you to even be in the position where you’re getting guys rest at the end is such a blessing and it’s something you don’t ever take for granted because it doesn’t happen often,” McVay said on ESPN LA Tuesday. “When you’re in a situation like what fortunately was able to present itself yesterday, you would prefer not to have Andrew Whitworth having to close the game out because we only went into the game with seven offensive linemen.”

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right. It's a violent game, all 53 players should be active and ready to jump in if necessary.

They even should have a couple IR spots that aren't as long as they are, I think a 3-4 week IR is plenty and it doesn't have to be 8 weeks.
I think they all should be available as well. However if you use one of the 7 (not in the 46) whoever they replace is done for the game cant come back in. Which would usually be the case anyways. But at least they are all available (if injury or what not)

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they all should be available as well. However if you use one of the 7 (not in the 46) whoever they replace is done for the game cant come back in. Which would usually be the case anyways. But at least they are all available (if injury or what not)

That is a good compromise. It makes it a tougher decision for the coaches.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosters could be massively expanded imo.

HS teams utilize more players.

But, they also aren't paid. It's ownerships call and it's prolly not going to be coaches who sway this.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to see the refs start calling holding when our Dline is owning people

Pansy NFL refs calling BS on Defenses farting on QBs these days

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right. It's a violent game, all 53 players should be active and ready to jump in if necessary.

They even should have a couple IR spots that aren't as long as they are, I think a 3-4 week IR is plenty and it doesn't have to be 8 weeks.

Agree 100%...Generally speaking it's difficult to develop players in the NFL. It's extremely difficult to make it from the practice squad to becoming a starter because you're not getting any game action. Expanding the rosters would expand opportunities for guys to make a name for themselves.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to see the refs start calling holding when our Dline is owning people

Pansy NFL refs calling BS on Defenses farting on QBs these days
I'd like to get a dark blue vinyl siding for my house. Every damn house seems to be tan or grey nowadays...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for staying at 46. But, mostly because my team doesn't even have 46 players that belong on an NFL field, let alone 53:rolleyes2:

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that is a good compromise

I've seen more than one game where TE's are the next one up if OL gets hurt

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is a good compromise

I've seen more than one game where TE's are the next one up if OL gets hurt

It's the coach's decision to limit the OL backups though. They could have 8 active. Often, teams have too many special teamers that don't play an offensive or defensive position in a daily rotation, which eats up roster spots.