• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL Coma 2014

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've punted week 4 in the suicide (QB, TE, 3 WR and K)

Here, I've probably shit 'er for weeks 10 and 11. Pretty crucial weeks.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated:

10534413_748218115242804_7254171017299047745_n.jpg

Congrats guys! Just waiting on Monkey to pick a K.

Just some observations (and hope that the Coma 2 isn't reading)... Maybe there was some confusion as to who was available? Maybe it was deliberate? But...

...here are some players that the Coma 1 didn't select who had fairly high ADP: Antonio Gates; Chad Henne; Mike Williams; Brandon Bolden and Denarius Moore.

...here are some players that the Coma 2 didn't select (yet) who had fairly high ADP: Kenny Britt; Rod Streater; Andre Caldwell; Cody Latimer; C.J. Anderson; Cole Beasley; Lance Moore.

And here's a few players that weren't selected in either league that I thought had a shot of being selected: TE Dwayne Allen; TE Coby Fleener; RB "law firm"; WR Chris Givens

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is: with no pick-ups and only two teams taking backup TEs, Gates is too rickety. Allen and Fleener kinda rob each other, Law Firm probably could have been taken, and Givens too, but I see them both as borderline. And Denarius Moore may be no more than a WR3 on the Raiders. MWTB looks like he might be in WR purgatory in Buffalo, but that was probably a miss by us.

I think Bolden is mostly used to piss off Ridley, so I'd have trouble banking on him, and Henne's no good without Bortles too.

B League still has plenty of rounds to go.

By the way - who do you think shouldn't have made it?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick I like in both Comas is Cotchery. I think he's undervalued. If he can score 10 TD on an anemic passing Jets squad, I think he'll do enough to keep FF owners happy in Carolina.

By the way - who do you think shouldn't have made it?

You know me and rookies. I don't put much faith in them. At least, any position other than RB. Last year was a record year for the NFL in points and yardage. Records don't get broken like that each year. And since so many rookie WR became fantasy relevant last season, I can understand the optimism for this year's crop of rookie WR.

But I'm not buying. Especially if they're on offensively-challenged teams.

That said, it's hard not to envision some optimistic scenarios when your dredging the deep end of the fantasy barrel.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally!! I have my PC back..and of course it was right after the final pick.or atleast, MY last pick.

I had given serious thought to Givens a couple different points in the draft, but the dude burned me last year, so I was hesitant to pull the trigger.
Another guy I thought of long and hard was Eddie Royal. But figured he was a serious fluke..kinda the same way I think about Cotchery.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick I like in both Comas is Cotchery. I think he's undervalued. If he can score 10 TD on an anemic passing Jets squad, I think he'll do enough to keep FF owners happy in Carolina.

You know me and rookies. I don't put much faith in them. At least, any position other than RB. Last year was a record year for the NFL in points and yardage. Records don't get broken like that each year. And since so many rookie WR became fantasy relevant last season, I can understand the optimism for this year's crop of rookie WR.

But I'm not buying. Especially if they're on offensively-challenged teams.

That said, it's hard not to envision some optimistic scenarios when your dredging the deep end of the fantasy barrel.

I could understand the fear of rookies, but there are a few that have great scenarios going into the season... look at Marqis Lee, he is the number 2 WR on a team that will pass all the time...

One of the players you mentioned on the league 2 omits so far i want to get as my last Bench spot next round... so hopefully the 4 picks before i pick he is not taken... even though he is against my strategy...

But overall i love my mostly rookie team... I feel like in a league like this, the boom or busts are great since most teams are filled with so many busts... one Boom and i am in better shape than half of the teams in this league... so taking all boom or busts i should hit on at least one and likely more..

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...here are some players that the Coma 1 didn't select who had fairly high ADP: Antonio Gates; Chad Henne; Mike Williams; Brandon Bolden and Denarius Moore.
Of these the only one that I seriously considered was Mike Williams but once I decided on Hawkins, then it came down to Williams or Washington for my last pick-it was close.
Gates- old and passed up by Greene
Henne- May not even be the starter
Bolden- 3rd string with RB killer Belichick as coach
Denarious- Already had two Raider receivers.

Nice work Joe

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could understand the fear of rookies, but there are a few that have great scenarios going into the season... look at Marqis Lee, he is the number 2 WR on a team that will pass all the time...

Passing because your behind most of the time doesn't necessarily mean you're any good at it

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing because your behind most of the time doesn't necessarily mean you're any good at it

no, but the opportunity is there!!! that was all i meant... I would rather have a 2 on a bad team than a 4 or a 5 on a good team... Especially since some of those good teams have other weapons besides their WRs...

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, but the opportunity is there!!! that was all i meant... I would rather have a 2 on a bad team than a 4 or a 5 on a good team... Especially since some of those good teams have other weapons besides their WRs...

Differences of opinions is why FFB can have such varied results despite the same starting information. I would rather have either Andre Caldwell or Cody Latimore than Marqise Lee. I am not even sure that Lee will be the most productive rookie WR on his team (Robinson). But of course I could be wrong...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Differences of opinions is why FFB can have such varied results despite the same starting information. I would rather have either Andre Caldwell or Cody Latimore than Marqise Lee. I am not even sure that Lee will be the most productive rookie WR on his team (Robinson). But of course I could be wrong...

I know nothing about college football so all i am basing rookies on where they are in the depth chart, where they were drafted and their height... height is probably strange, but i like tall rookies...

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beat me to it Fuzzies - Robinson is legit. But neither of them are the JAX WR to own this year. I think Ace Sanders will be the guy. Debated hard between him and Josh Gordon, but the possibility of even having Gordon for a handful of weeks was too much to pass up. Either way, I'd would have rather taken a chance on Robinson or Sanders over Lee. i really just felt like I couldn't take that many JAX players, already had Todman & Lewis.

A couple other long shots that I was looking at:
HOU RB3 A. Blue - Foster and Andre Brown? talk about injuries waiting to happen.

CLE WR Charles Johnson - tall and fast, went to a small school so no one heard of him. Could be the replacement for Gordon until he gets back.

As to my final pick - I'll take Nick Novak

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their height... height is probably strange, but i like tall rookies...

Another reason to love FF (like Fuzzies mentioned the difference in opinion). Ironic when guys say that a guy is tall or huge (not that I'm picking on Milk), yet diminutive guys who weren't supposed to be good (cause they were too small) were guys like Ray Rice, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, and Drew Brees.

Meanwhile freakishly huge or "gifted" players like Tony Mandarich, Jeff George, and JaMarcus Russell found themselves out of football quickly. I also remember WR Bryan Johnson being taken 12th overall by the Cardinals. But it was 2nd round (54th) selection Anquan Bolden that stole the gig in preseason and never looked back.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know nothing about college football so all i am basing rookies on where they are in the depth chart, where they were drafted and their height... height is probably strange, but i like tall rookies...

Granted this is basically just a for fun, "lets throw the dice and see what happens" kind of league..but, in general, if your going to be high on any rookie, you probably should have a decent idea of how they played, the systems they were in, that sort of thing, if you want to seriously put any stock into that kind of strategy. Where they were drafted means next to nothing, ask Tony Romo and Akili Smith (or Wes Welker and Big Mike Williams if your prefer to keep it in the WR discussion). And at this point in the offseason, depth charts are nearly as worthless, A LOT will happen between now and opening weekend. Of the things you listed, the one I'd actually say "yea sure, why not?" to, is the height. If you really aren't up to par on the draft class, than height/weight and 40 times are a better guess than draft position.
But realistically, the best thing to look at if your really not up to snuff, a much better barometer of possible success for a rookie is where they went. What kind of offense does that team currently use? Do they have a QB? A decent Oline? Is there a realistic chance they win a starting job, or at least be on the field a significant amount of the time?
By those criteria, Marquis Lee can only realistically hit on one, the chance to see the field..everything is is a big no.
But again, in this league, as we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, that's about all you can ask for.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason to love FF (like Fuzzies mentioned the difference in opinion). Ironic when guys say that a guy is tall or huge (not that I'm picking on Milk), yet diminutive guys who weren't supposed to be good (cause they were too small) were guys like Ray Rice, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, and Drew Brees.

Meanwhile freakishly huge or "gifted" players like Tony Mandarich, Jeff George, and JaMarcus Russell found themselves out of football quickly. I also remember WR Bryan Johnson being taken 12th overall by the Cardinals. But it was 2nd round (54th) selection Anquan Bolden that stole the gig in preseason and never looked back.

Hey now, Jeff George was a great fantasy QB, for about a 3 year span (with a fourth injury plagued year in the middle).
HOnestly though, was shocked to see he actually did last 11 years in the league..didn't recall it being that long

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beat me to it Fuzzies - Robinson is legit. But neither of them are the JAX WR to own this year. I think Ace Sanders will be the guy. Debated hard between him and Josh Gordon, but the possibility of even having Gordon for a handful of weeks was too much to pass up. Either way, I'd would have rather taken a chance on Robinson or Sanders over Lee. i really just felt like I couldn't take that many JAX players, already had Todman & Lewis.

A couple other long shots that I was looking at:
HOU RB3 A. Blue - Foster and Andre Brown? talk about injuries waiting to happen.

CLE WR Charles Johnson - tall and fast, went to a small school so no one heard of him. Could be the replacement for Gordon until he gets back.

As to my final pick - I'll take Nick Novak

Nearly took Ace Sanders myself MOnkey! Went with Ginn instead, hoping that new vertical passing game and the standard attention on Fitz might turn into a couple 3 catch 100 yard, 2 score weeks. A guy can dream

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost took Fleener but went with Forsett in case of a longer Rice susp. and/or an ineffective Pierce. MWBB was also on my list, but ran out of room taking both Jets QBs.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted this is basically just a for fun, "lets throw the dice and see what happens" kind of league..but, in general, if your going to be high on any rookie, you probably should have a decent idea of how they played, the systems they were in, that sort of thing, if you want to seriously put any stock into that kind of strategy. Where they were drafted means next to nothing, ask Tony Romo and Akili Smith (or Wes Welker and Big Mike Williams if your prefer to keep it in the WR discussion). And at this point in the offseason, depth charts are nearly as worthless, A LOT will happen between now and opening weekend. Of the things you listed, the one I'd actually say "yea sure, why not?" to, is the height. If you really aren't up to par on the draft class, than height/weight and 40 times are a better guess than draft position.
But realistically, the best thing to look at if your really not up to snuff, a much better barometer of possible success for a rookie is where they went. What kind of offense does that team currently use? Do they have a QB? A decent Oline? Is there a realistic chance they win a starting job, or at least be on the field a significant amount of the time?
By those criteria, Marquis Lee can only realistically hit on one, the chance to see the field..everything is is a big no.
But again, in this league, as we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, that's about all you can ask for.

i do do some research before i picked my rookies... There is a reason i passed on many of them... Like i said i like players higher on the depth chart over the lower ones, even if the lower ones have the better QB... WRs like latimer, he is at best the 3rd receiver... and not to mention the TE is a huge weapon... so even for a QB like peyton manning, i dont think he will get as many looks as a WR like Lee... Just my opinion...

teams with too many weapons scare me when we are talking about a league like this... I run away from it(unless the player is one of the main pieces).

As is, i am content with the team i have drafted... I think i have more potential than most and if i hit on just one i will be in better shape than most teams in this...

I might not know college football, but i took everyone i took for a reason, just hope i am correct about some of my logic...

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i took everyone i took for a reason, just hope i am correct about some of my logic...

Pretty much sums up my fantasy strategy.

By the way, kudos to the Coma 2 and especially Milk for keeping the draft picks numbered and in order! I appreciate it.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine and dandy if you like your team, but to say you have a distinctive advantage is kind of wide eyed thinking. Rookies have the hardest learning curve of anyone and I know I learned the hard way last year not taking the Nate Washingtons over the Aaron Dobsons of the world.

I think having Malcolm Floyd (healthy) is a big advantage over a rookie WR (especially those that may have rookie QB's throwing them the ball.

But in the end, unfortunately this league comes down to health and luck more than a regular draft. And lucking into rookies is tough...especially this early.

I will defer to Joe or Will to give you any rookies not drafted in the suicide last year to pan out... I'm guessing not many. Keenan Allen?