• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Flynn

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do teams keep getting fooled by guys like Flynn, Kolb and Cassel who look good in back up duty for a limited amount of time with a limited playbook. Freaking ridiculous. This guy has failed to impress and still haven't wrestled the starting QB job away from Pryor who outshined Flynn against the Bears. If he looses his job to Pryor that would make the second season that a team brought him in to be a starter and he loses out to a guy with no (or very little) starting experience.

Oakland Raiders coach Dennis Allen to look at club's quarterback situation - ESPN

Raiders may have QB controversy

Updated: August 25, 2013, 9:23 AM ET
ESPN.com news services
Email
Print

Bears Offense Sharp In Win

Jay Cutler and Matt Forte connected for a 32-yard touchdown in the Bears' 34-26 win against the Raiders.Tags: Bears, Raiders, Jay Cutler, Matt Forte, Terrelle Pryor

The Oakland Raiders appear to have a quarterback controversy.

Coach Dennis Allen indicated after Friday night's preseason game that he needs to look at the club's quarterback situation.

More From ESPN.com

Just give the ball to Terrelle Pryor and see what he can do -- because how much worse can it get, writes Bill Williamson. Blog

Matt Flynn, expected to open the season as the starter, struggled in the 34-26 loss to the Chicago Bears, throwing two interceptions on six attempts before being pulled in the second quarter in favor of Terrelle Pryor.

"I think obviously we have to look at it. I think when you look at it I don't think Matt [Flynn] played well in this game," Allen said. "Obviously, I thought Terrelle [Pryor] came in and gave us a spark. I thought he played well in the game. I think that's something that we have to go and look at it."

Allen said Saturday that Pryor would take more practice snaps with the first-team offense this coming week and that he would decide on a starter before the Raiders' opener on Sept. 8 against the Indianapolis Colts.

Pryor electrified the crowd by leading a late field-goal drive in the first half and then running and throwing for scores in the third quarter. Pryor finished 7 for 9 for 93 yards passing to go along with 37 yards rushing and led Oakland to 20 points on five drives.

"What I want to look at is who gives us the best chance to move the ball down the field and score points," Allen said. "Obviously I'm not going to look at one night and base any type of decision on one night. I'll go back and I'll look at it and we'll see where we go from here."

Flynn was expected to start for the Seattle Seahawks last season but his lost his job to rookie Russell Wilson during training camp. The Raiders acquired Flynn from the Seahawks for draft picks in April.

Pryor, entering his third season with the Raiders, made his only career start in last year's finale against the San Diego Chargers.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flynn has made a gret living off of one performance two years ago in a meaningless end of season game.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing happened to the lions back in the day when a back up for Marino had one good game. Got a huge contract and is considered one of the worst starting QBs ever. Scott Mitchell

But, teams always are looking for the next Brett Farve or Matt Schaub, both backups who had a good performance and then went on to be good QBs

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrelle Pryor to start Oakland Raiders' final preseason game - ESPN

Terrelle Pryor to start final game

Updated: August 25, 2013, 5:10 PM ET
Associated Press
Email
Print

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Quarterback Terrelle Pryor will make his first start in the Oakland Raiders' preseason finale Thursday night at Seattle while the team rests Matt Flynn.

Coach Dennis Allen said Sunday that Flynn has been bothered by arm soreness throughout camp. The 28-year-old has been atop the depth chart since the beginning of training camp and started Oakland's first three preseason games, though he has struggled to move the offense.

Flynn has thrown two interceptions and been sacked three times.

Pryor, who led four scoring drives after replacing Flynn in the second quarter Friday night in a loss to Chicago, has been the Raiders' most effective quarterback so far. He also is the team's second leading rusher with 83 yards on 11 carries.

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest. I liked Flynn's potential. However, I need think it's a good idea to assume a QB is a capable starter based on one performance. I thought Seattle played it right by giving him a shot to compete or the job without breaking the bank for him. The Raiders offensive line is awful. Pryor is getting by on his mobility which Flynn does not have.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing happened to the lions back in the day when a back up for Marino had one good game. Got a huge contract and is considered one of the worst starting QBs ever. Scott Mitchell

But, teams always are looking for the next Brett Farve or Matt Schaub, both backups who had a good performance and then went on to be good QBs

I remember that Scott Mitchell signing. He really fell flat in Detroit. But I say good for those guys because teams take advantage of players all the time.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Whelp Rob Johnson and Scott Mitchell will open the door for him and Kevin Kolb to join their club.

I just remember how many people wanted to trade for Kolb or Flynn prior to 2011. Those are the times your glad a qualified person is making decisions.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp Rob Johnson and Scott Mitchell will open the door for him and Kevin Kolb to join their club.

I just remember how many people wanted to trade for Kolb or Flynn prior to 2011. Those are the times your glad a qualified person is making decisions.

Kolb fooled a lot of people though. He had a very good resume at Houston before he got drafted.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie Mckenzie has not impressed me. They had an awful draft too especially awful when you consider their draft order to begin with, wow.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie Mckenzie has not impressed me. They had an awful draft too especially awful when you consider their draft order to begin with, wow.

He has done dog shit in his short time. Al Davis was senile as all hell towards the end but even he was able to land an occasion player. So far, McKenzie's drafts have sucked dong in a major way.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Raida fans are fantasizing about TP2 being the next CK7, RG6 or RDUB3...

But they are falling back on Teddy Bridgewater, just in case...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy Bridgewater is a beast

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...

But I would take Clowney at #1...

Depends on who is picking first. Clowney is the best player in the draft IMO, he is in that Julius Peppers and Mario Williams mold but I believe he could be physically more talented even than those two players. All that being said I believe that Bridgewater is a franchise QB, if you don't have a franchise QB and have the chance to get one then you do it. Now If I'm already set at QB, I'm sending Usain Bolt to run to the podium with the Clowney pick.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Colin Kaepernick, Big Ben, (though he was a first rounder), Tom Brady, etc. It happens a lot.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Colin Kaepernick, Big Ben, (though he was a first rounder), Tom Brady, etc. It happens a lot.

Steve Bono.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I would probably leave Kaepernick and Big Ben off that list since they were both drafted with the intention of taking over the starting job eventually.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok the word "beast" has officially been overused.

I've been using that word since high school, not gonna stop now just because everyone else joined in. Haha

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrelle Pryor named Oakland Raiders starting quarterback, according to reports - ESPN

Reports: Raiders start Terrelle Pryor

Updated: September 3, 2013, 12:46 AM ET
ESPN.com news services
Email
Print

Fantasy: Terrelle Pryor

Eric Karabell talks about Terrelle Pryor's fantasy potential as a starting quarterback.Tags: Fantasy Football, Fantasy, Draft Kit, 2013 Fantasy Draft, Quarterback, Terrelle Pryor, Eric Karabell

NEXT VIDEO video

NFL Nation: Oakland Raiders

For Terrelle Pryor, it's the culmination of a bumpy road. For Matt Flynn, it's deja vu all over again.

The Oakland Raiders have named Pryor the team's Week 1 starting quarterback, according to multiple reports.

lastname
Flynn

Pryor
Pryor

Pryor, the Raiders' third-round pick in the 2011 supplemental draft, took the first snap with the first-team offense during a drill in the portion of practice open to the media on Monday.

Oakland coach Dennis Allen said Monday afternoon that he would refrain from announcing a starter for "competitive" reasons.

The offense produced 32 points on 14 drives with Pryor at quarterback, compared to 10 points on 13 drives this preseason for Flynn. Flynn played mostly with and against starters, while Pryor was in mostly with second-team players.

Flynn, a six-year veteran, will serve as the team's backup, according to reports, a position he's familiar with.

Flynn has started exactly one game since the start of the 2011 season, a 31-of-44 performance in which he threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns and one interception while starting for the Green Bay Packers in place of Aaron Rodgers. On the strength of that game, Flynn earned a contract from the Seattle Seahawks prior to last season, before losing out on the starting job in the preseason to then-rookie Russell Wilson.

The emergence of Wilson made Flynn expendable and the Seahawks dealt him to Oakland where again, he was presumed to be the team's Week 1 starter -- at least until Monday night.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.