• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marvin Robinson and Mike Jones left the team

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The title says it all, there have been rumors of additional attrition since the Ringer transfer, and today we've learned who it was... Now there is room to work with if we'll end up taking a QB transfer... Good luck to Marvin and Mike going forward.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't seem like the Jones loss will be felt but Robinson likely would have been in the rotation at safety. Was this just a case of being in Mattison's doghouse? Anybody know if there are any walk-ons in line to get the scholly's?

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well maybe Cleary will get a scholly since at this point he is 1 injury away from starting... I think M-Rob was in competition with Furman for a backup spot, but realistically both of those dudes are special teams players...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well maybe Cleary will get a scholly since at this point he is 1 injury away from starting..

If they can redshirt Morris, that is all but guaranteed. That would give the team 4 QB's on scholarship with no real backup.

Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an article over on ESPiN about this. While it didn't come right out and say it, it fell in line with my thoughts when I read who recruited them.

They were part of RR's last recruiting class at Michigan. While I realize not every recruit will be a starter, I think it speaks volumes to the quality of recruits Hoke is bringing compared to those RR did. Not bashing RR as much as it may seem. He recruited for his style/system.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it speaks volumes to the quality of recruits Hoke is bringing compared to those RR did. Not bashing RR as much as it may seem. He recruited for his style/system.

Chief, I think you are judging quality through the eyes of an NFL scout. RR has shown that his offense works in college football. I realize these kids are on the defensive side of the ball, an area neglected by RR, but I don't think your judgement is accurate here.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Increase in attrition is always expected when coaching philosophies are drastically changed twice in 3 years... hopefully in a couple of years we'll go back to "acceptable" attrition levels...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chief, I think you are judging quality through the eyes of an NFL scout. RR has shown that his offense works in college football.

I am not 100% behind that one J!

I think RR's offense works in certain situations. The Big East was not a physical conference and the PAC 10 although better will not be mistaken for a real physical conference either. RR's spread could play a good team once a season but week in and week out they could not.

People like to point out RR's last season at WVU. That was a weak year for college football in general, IMO. If you play in tough weather the small fast guys are not as effective.

I will use D-Rob as an example. We both feel pretty much the same about D-Rob as a QB. When a physical team forced him to be a QB that could not run first he was exposed and that usually meant Michigan's offense in general was exposed.

Although I do agree about NFL quality being different than NCAA I am not sold RR's version of the spread is doable in the B1G, SEC, Big 12. The spread yes...just look to Urban Meyer...but RR's version not so much. And he is to stubborn to even think about changing or modifying it.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think RR's offense works in certain situations.
It worked pretty well in the B1G. It was the D that was pathetic. Chip Kelly used a lot of RR's ideas and Oregon seemed to do ok.

I will use D-Rob as an example. We both feel pretty much the same about D-Rob as a QB.
I actually think that DRob was the perfect QB to run RR's offense. My issues were the lack of cohesion between him and Borges. Borges tried fitting a square peg into a round hole and DRob insisted on being that square peg. It didn't help that Hoke has recruited exactly 0 WR's to help out DRob.

Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think RR's offense works in certain situations.
It worked pretty well in the B1G. It was the D that was pathetic. Chip Kelly used a lot of RR's ideas and Oregon seemed to do ok.

I will use D-Rob as an example. We both feel pretty much the same about D-Rob as a QB.
I actually think that DRob was the perfect QB to run RR's offense. My issues were the lack of cohesion between him and Borges. Borges tried fitting a square peg into a round hole and DRob insisted on being that square peg. It didn't help that Hoke has recruited exactly 0 WR's to help out DRob.

We must have been watching different games. RR's Offense looked good against the directional/FCS/bottom tier Big Ten teams. Once they faced a team with a decent or better Defense, they were non-existent. Until the second half when they took their foot off and Michigan was finally able to do something.

I'll gladly trade all that flash and video game stats for wins every single time.

As for the type of players, I'm not looking at it from an NFL perspective. I'm looking at it from a Michigan football perspective. It speaks volumes when the older RR players are relegated to Special Teams and reserve rolls over the younger players Hoke is bringing in. Wasn't the argument the RR wasn't given a chance with his players? Well, where are his players now? Leaving the team because they can't crack the line-up. Again, I know not every player will start (or play).

RR got a pass because we all know Carr's recruiting kind of petered out at the end. RR also was excused because he had no depth and needed time to recruit. The bottom line is, he simply didn't do a good enough job recruiting the D side of the ball.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yo Chief, Are you a CW3?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR got a pass because we all know Carr's recruiting kind of petered out at the end. RR also was excused because he had no depth and needed time to recruit. The bottom line is, he simply didn't do a good enough job recruiting the D side of the ball.

Not going to rehash this argument. I just am embarrassed at the lack of support RR received. I think if I ran into Lloyd I would smack him upside the head.

Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not going to rehash this argument. I just am embarrassed at the lack of support RR received. I think if I ran into Lloyd I would smack him upside the head.

lol. I guess you'd genuflect for RR then...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I remember correctly, it was Michigan that approached RR. We hired him and left him out to dry (actually, worse). Not the lessons I learned during my time there.Maybe the Army taught you different.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retired as CW3 in 2009.

Go Army!

Nice, were you aviation? My brother-in-law is a CW4 going for his 5 but it gets pretty competitive at that level....He's in the 1/60th down here at Campbell. Those are some hard core dudes.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I remember correctly, it was Michigan that approached RR. We hired him and left him out to dry (actually, worse). Not the lessons I learned during my time there.Maybe the Army taught you different.

The way I remember it RR reached out first... at that time Martin was getting desperate because everyone that he reached out to was not interested and the Miles hire fell through...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I remember it RR reached out first... at that time Martin was getting desperate because everyone that he reached out to was not interested and the Miles hire fell through...

You may be right but it is a moot point. The decision was made to hire the man, he should have been supported regardless of whether the hiring ruffled some feathers.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J.

The Wolverines were awful under RR. They played in one bowl and got blew out! They won what 3-4 B1G games? Whenever UofM played against a big tough defense DRob had problems. He could not pass the ball if his life depended on it. OSU, MSU, Iowa, and Whisky forced him to pass. He could run for 100 plus but he was forced to pass and that killed the offense.

Not going to argue the WR recruit issue with Hoke as think he swung and missed his first 2 recruiting efforts at top tier Wide Outs. But really who did RR give D Rob? Gallon, Roundtree? Smurfs athletic but really not any better than what Hoke brought in.

The D was awful but again RR didn't help himself with the 3-3-5. He wanted recruits that fit his scheme. The same way Hoke wants guys that fit his scheme. SO round peg square hole yes but at least hoke has had success bringing the process in a slower fashion than just chucking everything and saying we are winning with small fast players!

I look at the O-Line now big guys that don't get blown off the ball and grinds the other team down. IMO that works better in the B1G.

Don't get me wrong I give complete gratitude to D-Rob for is time in A2 but he played out of position. I see Meyer's and Kelly's spread as different than RRs. Where RR reied on a running QB and the wheel route as primary weapons OSU uses the wide sets and the read option more along with bigger athletes. But hey maybe I am just a midwest pro set snob!

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jd,
Not only was the cupboard bare when RR arrived but his predecessor encourage defections. I am not here to defend RR but he didn't get the full support from the university and alums.

But hey maybe I am just a midwest pro set snob!
I am partial to spread offenses partially because I have spent so much time on the west coast and partially because I find it more exciting to watch. Wisconsin may be a solid team but I would rather watch paint dry.