• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marvin Hagler

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAAWWWW Shit. One of the best boxers. Damn. I loved watching him in the day, too bad he got knocked out by a ghost punch ( god ) RIP Marvelous

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the toughest men to ever step into the ring. He was my age and I watched him throughout his career.
Rest in Peace, Sir.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rip. Arguable top 5 all time. You really could legitimately make that argument. Personally I think he was the best fighter of the fabulous four in that welterweight division.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the toughest men to ever step into the ring. He was my age and I watched him throughout his career.
Rest in Peace, Sir.
Year & a half older than I... and yeah. His fights were must see before Tyson took the mantle from him. Watched Hagler/Duran on closed circuit at Reunion Arena with several thousand “friends”... no one sat the entire fight. And I will always remember sitting down for a minute between the first two rounds of Hagler/Hearns thinking to myself “That was the longest 3 minutes I’ve ever experienced”.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Year & a half older than I... and yeah. His fights were must see before Tyson took the mantle from him. Watched Hagler/Duran on closed circuit at Reunion Arena with several thousand “friends”... no one sat the entire fight. And I will always remember sitting down for a minute between the first two rounds of Hagler/Hearns thinking to myself “That was the longest 3 minutes I’ve ever experienced”.
Hagler had great fights and not just from Leonard, Hearns and Duran. Little know fighters as well like Boogaloo Watts. Hagler met all kinds and never retreated, I liked his demeanour. We'll never know if he actually did beat Leonard but he gave it his all

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hagler had great fights and not just from Leonard, Hearns and Duran. Little know fighters as well like Boogaloo Watts. Hagler met all kinds and never retreated, I liked his demeanour. We'll never know if he actually did beat Leonard but he gave it his all
That first fight against Vito Antuofermo was one of “those” fights that has stayed in the memory banks all these years later. I still believe he won that fight.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That first fight against Vito Antuofermo was one of “those” fights that has stayed in the memory banks all these years later. I still believe he won that fight.
Was that the Lane controversy fight? Vito was tough from what I remember. I just remember Watts and Brisco having a decent run at him but Vito I forgot, maybe it was too early in Marvins career. I have a lot of tape on the fights of those days long gone ( got Ali's gold medal match ) I'll have to watch a few and get reintroduced, hey Thanks

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to see someone with a fine appreciation of boxing and a vested interest in its historical context, I miss those days. MMA can't fill the void

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:rip:

boxing GIF

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that the Lane controversy fight? Vito was tough from what I remember. I just remember Watts and Brisco having a decent run at him but Vito I forgot, maybe it was too early in Marvins career. I have a lot of tape on the fights of those days long gone ( got Ali's gold medal match ) I'll have to watch a few and get reintroduced, hey Thanks
Yep. The Lane controversy. Split decision draw... Hagler’s first belt shot. He beat Minter the next year in London... still remember the chaos afterwards.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to see someone with a fine appreciation of boxing and a vested interest in its historical context, I miss those days. MMA can't fill the void

No. MMA doesn’t come close. I still hold out hope boxing can get back to its old level of appreciation. Because there are some terrific kids out there right now (Lopez, Berlanga - not to mention Crawford & Spence...) that deserve attention.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One judge had 115-113 Leonard, another 115-113 Hagler, the bar I was at had Hagler 115-113 Hagler

I have watched the fight again and there is noway Leonard won that fight, a case can be made it was a draw.

That Leonard, Hagler, Duran, Hearns era the best boxing ever got.

RIP

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. MMA doesn’t come close. I still hold out hope boxing can get back to its old level of appreciation. Because there are some terrific kids out there right now (Lopez, Berlanga - not to mention Crawford & Spence...) that deserve attention.
Most of the hope will lay within the Olympics. Boxing lost it's lustre ( I believe ) because USA boxing couldn't produce hopefuls and challengers. The marketing outpaced itself with ridiculous payouts and pay per view, Boxing was was at its peak with commercialized television. We all saw the fight and then the controversies ensued at the next days work cooler, it was great. ABC was the leader and when Cable hit, it started to die. It's a sad reality. I hope you're right and somehow people tire of MMA and Boxing makes a comeback.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was way too young, this sucks!

A toast to the Marvelous one.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Hagler and Leonard were at the same event and Leonard had a guy go over to tell him that Sugar Ray was interested in a rematch (this was like 90 or something). Hagler told the guy to tell Leonard to get a life.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigDGarciaFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of The Four Kings of Boxing's Golden Age(the early to mid 1980s). BTW, has anyone been watching that Showtime series The Kings"?