• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martin Jones

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Record: 5-0-0

GAA: 0.99

SV%: 0.967

Shutouts: 2

Must say I'm very impressed by the depth of the Kings' goalies (Quick, Scrivens, and Jones), but never expected Martin Jones to just come out of the AHL and dominate like he's been doing. Congrats King fans, seems like goaltending will never be a weakness for you guys.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good goaltending is fleeting, don't count on it as it can disappear rapidly no matter how many good net minders you have.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good goaltending is fleeting, don't count on it as it can disappear rapidly no matter how many good net minders you have.

NoCheer.gif

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think although both backup goaltenders have played super I believe the defensive effort the Kings have played in front of them has, in a degree, aided their numbers. Jones especially has made some unbelievable saves.

Ox

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think although both backup goaltenders have played super I believe the defensive effort the Kings have played in front of them has, in a degree, aided their numbers. Jones especially has made some unbelievable saves.

Ox

It goes hand in hand, when the defense plays well, it gives the goalie more confidence - when the goalie plays well, it gives the defense more confidence and it leads to better offensive chances because they know they don't have to always cover for their goalie

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What if you play two at once? Might need a bigger net, like doubles tennis.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Martin Jones has an opportunity to become the first goalie to go 9-0 to start his NHL career. Very impressive showing by this young lad.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Martin Jones has an opportunity to become the first goalie to go 9-0 to start his NHL career. Very impressive showing by this young lad.

And after that they will send him to the AHL. Kings are too afraid to trade Scrivens and no way they waive him. Jones could be leading the NHL and because of waiver rules he will be the guy sent down

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll be the first one to do that in just 9 games. Ray Emery started his career 9-0-0 also but he did it in 10 games. Somewhere in his streak he had a no decision.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be the first one to do that in just 9 games. Ray Emery started his career 9-0-0 also but he did it in 10 games. Somewhere in his streak he had a no decision.

Ox

Patrick Lalime outdid him, started off 14-0-2. Went 5 straight Ws and then a tie. I want to say it was in the mid 1990s, maybe 1996?

Ken Wreggett was the Penguins' goalie but was either hurt or really inconsistent (can't remember) and that opened the door up for Lalime. Quite a way to start your career.

Also doesn't hurt having guys named Lemieux, Jagr and Francis in front of you.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ox

Didn't realize that Ox, thought Martin Jones would be the 1st.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Lalime outdid him, started off 14-0-2. Went 5 straight Ws and then a tie. I want to say it was in the mid 1990s, maybe 1996?

Ken Wreggett was the Penguins' goalie but was either hurt or really inconsistent (can't remember) and that opened the door up for Lalime. Quite a way to start your career.

Also doesn't hurt having guys named Lemieux, Jagr and Francis in front of you.

Hmm, interesting. I'm a Pens fan, but I didn't realize that.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, interesting. I'm a Pens fan, but I didn't realize that.

I'm probably a lot older than you too, Squirt.

=)~~

It was a pretty fascinating time, I remember reading the NEWSPAPER (yes, that antique) and seeing Lalime's name night after night for like 3-4 weeks straight going undefeated. Of course the Avalanche dominated hockey around that time as well as Detroit however.

Turned out to be a decent goalie in his prime.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably a lot older than you too, Squirt.

=)~~

It was a pretty fascinating time, I remember reading the NEWSPAPER (yes, that antique) and seeing Lalime's name night after night for like 3-4 weeks straight going undefeated. Of course the Avalanche dominated hockey around that time as well as Detroit however.

Turned out to be a decent goalie in his prime.

I remembered him with the Pens, just didn't realize he started out so hot. I mostly remember him with the Sens tho, he was pretty good for them from what I recall.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remembered him with the Pens, just didn't realize he started out so hot. I mostly remember him with the Sens tho, he was pretty good for them from what I recall.

That's where he became a household name, he was traded there by Anaheim in 1998 because he could not make the big club since Hebert and Shtalenkov were the duo in Anaheim at the time.

His 14-0-2 record though still remains an NHL record for longest unbeaten streak to start a career. Won't happen now obviously with the SO so I guess Jones just needs to win 16 in a row. No problem with that here.

=)~~

He couldn't come to terms with the Penguins, so they traded his rights to Anaheim. If I recall the Penguins were going through some real hardships resulting in BK prior to Lemieux being allowed to take ownership in 1999 in return for deferred payments on the millions he was owed and Lalime just could not be paid market value.

He never played for Anaheim though, so they moved him to Ottawa and that's where he became a number one goalie for a few years. I remember the Sens meeting up with Toronto in the 2003-04 playoffs and Lalime was lit up like a Christmas tree - some his doing, some his team's - and that was the end of that for him there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where he became a household name, he was traded there by Anaheim in 1998 because he could not make the big club since Hebert and Shtalenkov were the duo in Anaheim at the time.

His 14-0-2 record though still remains an NHL record for longest unbeaten streak to start a career. Won't happen now obviously with the SO so I guess Jones just needs to win 16 in a row. No problem with that here.

=)~~

He couldn't come to terms with the Penguins, so they traded his rights to Anaheim. If I recall the Penguins were going through some real hardships resulting in BK prior to Lemieux being allowed to take ownership in 1999 in return for deferred payments on the millions he was owed and Lalime just could not be paid market value.

He never played for Anaheim though, so they moved him to Ottawa and that's where he became a number one goalie for a few years. I remember the Sens meeting up with Toronto in the 2003-04 playoffs and Lalime was lit up like a Christmas tree - some his doing, some his team's - and that was the end of that for him there.

Yeah, 1997 was the year we filed for bankruptcy, everyone who made a name for themselves from 1997-2004 made big bucks elsewhere. Guys like Lalime, Jagr, Straka, Kasparitis, etc. We lost a lot of talent to the Rangers those years who ironically couldn't make the playoffs while we did for much of those years LOL

Tough years being a Pens fan for much of those years, but we got tickets & food/drinks for cheap those years so it wasn't a total loss.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 1997 was the year we filed for bankruptcy, everyone who made a name for themselves from 1997-2004 made big bucks elsewhere. Guys like Lalime, Jagr, Straka, Kasparitis, etc. We lost a lot of talent to the Rangers those years who ironically couldn't make the playoffs while we did for much of those years LOL

I remember the Rangers (my acronym when they were FA crazy was R.A.N.G.E.R.S. - Retiring Aging NHL Geezers Earning Ridiculous Salaries) having a ridiculous payroll and not making the POs several times. Handiing out 5 year/$45 million deals to guys like Holik was just stupid. To see them try and buy a Cup and fail miserably made me giddy just out of principle.

I also remember the mass exodus because the Penguins could not pay them. Chicago did the same thing, moving guys like Chelios, Roenick, Belfour, etc. but they were just cheap, Wirtz Sr. was a greedy SOB while the Penguins just didn't have money.

Tough years being a Pens fan for much of those years, but we got tickets & food/drinks for cheap those years so it wasn't a total loss.

Cheap drinks are never a bad thing.

Around here, concessions are definitely cheaper at The Puddle than at Staples but the selection is a lot better in LA than in Anaheim.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, cheap concessions & our rivalry with the Flyers kept my Pens pride going those years. Having a whole arena to myself while spending $5 for food & drinks was well worth those awful seasons LOL