• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Margus Hunt

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know it's early but I would love it if the niners got this guy in the 1st. He's a freak of an athlete, has a great motor, and has a ton of upside. He hasn't even played football all that long so he could get even better. I think the only way he falls to us is if teams get scared off by his age..he's 25. Otherwise I think we may have to trade up into the early twenties to get him because he's going to rise a lot in the next couple months.

He'll instantly contribute on special teams (he almost set the career ncaa record for blocked kicks) and he can sub in on d on obvious passing downs. We'd be beastly with his pass rush skills.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the Titans will take him first. :hope:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't take him in the first. Tons of upside, but he really struggled at the senior bowl. Right now he's got a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" thing going on. It would be tempting to let a guy like that be groomed behind Justin Smith, and developed by Tomsula. But not with our first round pick.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's early but I would love it if the niners got this guy in the 1st. He's a freak of an athlete, has a great motor, and has a ton of upside. He hasn't even played football all that long so he could get even better. I think the only way he falls to us is if teams get scared off by his age..he's 25. Otherwise I think we may have to trade up into the early twenties to get him because he's going to rise a lot in the next couple months.

He'll instantly contribute on special teams (he almost set the career ncaa record for blocked kicks) and he can sub in on d on obvious passing downs. We'd be beastly with his pass rush skills.

I'm with you Rathman but from everyone I heard talking bout him or read about him the 1st is to early for him even at 31 but personally I would love to have him as a 49er and if he won't be around in the 2nd I would have to think long and hard about Hunt in the 1st

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That guy will be a first off the bus player. I'm saying it right now - he'll have a rough time in the NFL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't understand the "first off the bus" idiom.

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First Off The Bus: little apples to orange in this case, but see Mays; Taylor

The first off the bus guy is the muscle maniac who is the first one the other team sees coming off the bus before the game to instill fear of what they're up against.

You put this guy in the game and he plays stiff, is all muscle but can't make a play, has no feel or understanding of the game, and ends up riding the pine. The team needs to put him to use, so his role turns into being the first one off the bus.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't touch him in the first 3 rounds. I don't have the greatest track record around in projecting defensive projects but he would scare the daylights out of me if they took him.

Scout?s Notebook: Broaddus Wraps Up 2013 NFL Combine

•I was speaking with some scouts from another team after the defensive linemen completed their workouts and the talk centered around Margus Hunt and where you would play him on defense. We all know the position that he plays is defensive end and at 6-8, 277 it seems to be a natural fit but there are times where you watch him play on tape, he doesn’t play like a guy that did 225, 38 times. He will tend to get stuck on blocks and doesn’t shed all that well. The thought among the scouts was would a team consider playing him at tight end? He has rare height and weight for the position and with 4.60 speed could you find ways to use those numbers to create a mismatch player down the field. There is no doubt that he will be drafted as a defensive end and he will be used as one but could he be even better working on offense?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would draft him in round 3. And that's reaching slightly! I would reach for him in round 3 because he is one of my favorite players in this draft. He wouldn't be a "starter" on our team until the end of 2015 anyway. So we're talking about a guy who would finally be starting material when he is 27 years old. Is it worth it to wait that long to get an impact player? Where we could use him immediately is on special teams. In particular in a fg defense formation - put he and Aldon in the middle to jump to block kicks. The guy works extremely hard and wants to be very good at this game. I think he could develop (by age 27) to be a very good DE in this league. It's a matter of waiting.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah I can see him at TE. Me Magnus No Catch Ball! AHHHH CRUMMM!

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
thanks for the input. i don't have the time to really follow these guys too well so i just go by scouting reports, youtube, and combine results. All I kept hearing was how much of a freak he is and his high upside. Thanks for the education! maybe I'll backtrack on my first round prediction...haha

that being said, if he could come in as a situational pass rusher i think he could help our team a lot on 3rd downs. He might play very well in spurts and really scare the heck out of O-lines (drawing attention from Brooks and the Smiths) on passing downs.

I didn't even consider the possibility of him playing TE. You know Harbaugh loves being creative with guys going 2-ways and I think he could actually work on goal-line situations if he has any hands.

On a related note, I've always wondered why teams dont experiment with burnt-out basketball players and try to use them as goal line jump-ball players. Just think...any time you're inside the 10 you just bring in a James White type of guy(was just in dunk contest but has had a pretty poor bball career) who is 6'8" and has a 45 inch vertical. He's very coordinated and would most likely have great hands - he'd destroy any corner/safety/linebacker trying to guard him. He's a good example but there are a decent amount of bball players out there who kind of fit this description. Having a great goal line option like this I think would be invaluable and well worth a roster spot and 2 million a year. Just a thought...

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Field goal blocker extraordinary!

Some team will think Sebastion Vollmer and pull the trigger sooner rather then later...

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The following is taken out of a scouting report from FF Toolbox.com:

Hunt was born in Estonia and will be 26 years old at the start of next season. He has only been playing football since his freshman year in 2009 and has a decorated background in track and field (shot put and discus).

Lots of hype entering senior year and struggled at times with defenses really keying on him. Needs to get better against the run by staying low with his pad level. Can be driven off the ball. When pass-rushing, he does a great job of hitting the gaps by contorting his body through tight spaces. Will regularly get into the backfield although he is not a strong finisher when given an opportunity to bring down the ball-carrier.

Elite talent at blocking kicks with his huge wingspan and height. Tremendous speed for a player his size (4.7 40-yard dash). At his best when he focus his pursuit downhill, extend his arms to take on blockers and disrupt the backfield.

Hunt projects as a second round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't even think about even thinking about even dreaming about touching this guy in rounds one or two.