• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus Cooper or Tramaine Brock?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Bown will be back either. Price tag going to be too high. Brock will be a Nice #2 but I don't know about a #1. Also remember Rogers will be cut after this year. So we can really lose 3 out of 4 starting CBs playing for us right now.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ugh.

Jets' Richardson the top rookie at the halfway point - CBSSports.com

CB Marcus Cooper, Chiefs
The third-to-last pick of the 2013 NFL Draft (No. 252 overall), Cooper didn't make the 49ers active roster in camp, but he signed with the Chiefs, found the field and has performed well. He is the only player on this All-Rookie team who wasn't drafted in the first three rounds last April.

It's not like CB is arguably our biggest concern going into this offseason or anything. Really, really frustrated that we lost Cooper. I would feel alright - if not great - going into next season with him, Brock, and Culliver.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh.

CB Marcus Cooper, Chiefs
The third-to-last pick of the 2013 NFL Draft (No. 252 overall), Cooper didn't make the 49ers active roster in camp, but he signed with the Chiefs, found the field and has performed well. He is the only player on this All-Rookie team who wasn't drafted in the first three rounds last April.

It's not like CB is arguably our biggest concern going into this offseason or anything. Really, really frustrated that we lost Cooper. I would feel alright - if not great - going into next season with him, Brock, and Culliver.

Freaking sucks. Might be our biggest need position and we nailed it in the draft only to cut the player and let him walk to another team.

This guy would be a long term fixture at CB for us, a potential pro bowler in the future and we let him walk. Sucks, here's to hoping we can find an equally as talented and effective player this coming offseason.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Freaking sucks. Might be our biggest need position and we nailed it in the draft only to cut the player and let him walk to another team.

This guy would be a long term fixture at CB for us, a potential pro bowler in the future and we let him walk. Sucks, here's to hoping we can find an equally as talented and effective player this coming offseason.

I think the FO figured no one would pick him up given that he wasn't even a starter in college, but you can't take that chance with a promising young player at a position of need. I would much rather have kept him than get the extra 7th rounder for Cam Johnson. With those guys I mentioned above, as well as Daryl Morris, our CB corps would be looking pretty interesting for the foreseeable future. Trade up in the first for the best guy out there, and we'd be in great shape for a few years. Spilled milk, I suppose, but man it's frustrating for a player we cut to contribute to a great defense so quickly. Can't imagine how Baalke and Co. are feeling.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the FO figured no one would pick him up given that he wasn't even a starter in college, but you can't take that chance with a promising young player at a position of need. I would much rather have kept him than get the extra 7th rounder for Cam Johnson. With those guys I mentioned above, as well as Daryl Morris, our CB corps would be looking pretty interesting for the foreseeable future. Trade up in the first for the best guy out there, and we'd be in great shape for a few years. Spilled milk, I suppose, but man it's frustrating for a player we cut to contribute to a great defense so quickly. Can't imagine how Baalke and Co. are feeling.

here's the question though... Would he be as effective if another team without a great pass rushers like the Chiefs picked him up? Let's say he was picked up by Washington instead, how effective will he be then?.. The point is, he had a chance to compete for a roster spot with the Niners... He was not able to show that he was better than any of the guys ahead of him in the depth chart while he was here... It's not like he played lights out during the off season but the Niners cut him anyway...

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not lose it over cooper here. I myself haven't seen him play a game yet but who knows how he would of done here. It would be nice to have him in the years coming but again he was an unknown. Can't always keep every player. I'll hold any thought on him until he starts taking the league by storm until then we can live without him.

For now we can see what Darryl Morris has got.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
here's the question though... Would he be as effective if another team without a great pass rushers like the Chiefs picked him up? Let's say he was picked up by Washington instead, how effective will he be then?.. The point is, he had a chance to compete for a roster spot with the Niners... He was not able to show that he was better than any of the guys ahead of him in the depth chart while he was here... It's not like he played lights out during the off season but the Niners cut him anyway...

That's fair, but if we had to choose between him and Nnamdi at this point? Not even close. Or Perrish Cox? Heck, Bubba Ventrone has been a very good STs player, but I probably would have kept a kid with Cooper's physical tools over him, or Osgood, or Stupar (given that we also kept Moody).

I started to type that I can't criticize the FO that much, and I do think they were genuinely surprised another team signed him away. But every roster projection I did had six CBs. Why? Because our top three could be gone next year. The more I think about this, the more irritated it makes me. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but it was silly to go into this season light at CB, even with Wright in the wings. Now, admittedly, I wasn't sure whether we should keep Cooper or Morris on the active roster, but I absolutely thought they should keep one of them.

I don't doubt Cooper would have his share of struggles playing for a poor defense, but I think there's a good/great chance he would still be playing, and for a rookie 7th round pick who was considered pretty raw, that's awfully good.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, but if we had to choose between him and Nnamdi at this point? Not even close. Or Perrish Cox? Heck, Bubba Ventrone has been a very good STs player, but I probably would have kept a kid with Cooper's physical tools over him, or Osgood, or Stupar (given that we also kept Moody).

I started to type that I can't criticize the FO that much, and I do think they were genuinely surprised another team signed him away. But every roster projection I did had six CBs. Why? Because our top three could be gone next year. The more I think about this, the more irritated it makes me. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but it was silly to go into this season light at CB, even with Wright in the wings. Now, admittedly, I wasn't sure whether we should keep Cooper or Morris on the active roster, but I absolutely thought they should keep one of them.

I don't doubt Cooper would have his share of struggles playing for a poor defense, but I think there's a good/great chance he would still be playing, and for a rookie 7th round pick who was considered pretty raw, that's awfully good.

And they did keep Morris. And now he is on the active roster. So...since they did keep one of them you're good, right?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh.

CB Marcus Cooper, Chiefs

This is one of those football situations where ignorance is bliss. To explain that, I doubt we as 49ers fans would even know what the 49ers had in Cooper yet; because I believe Brock still would have been the guy to replace Nnamdi. Unless Cooper jumped up the depth chart by outstanding practices, which of course could have been possible. So we would have been happy not yet knowing how good he would turn out to be. Unfortunately we do know how well he is playing and it stings a bit. It would have been really nice to be able to fall back on Rogers/Culliver/Cooper next season if the team can't come to terms with Brown or Brock. Now we're looking at a worse case scenario of Rogers/Culliver/Cox without accounting for the draft and free agency.

I think the best approach is to stop crying over spilled milk. It is all over with at this point. The 49ers made a mistake and there is no going back.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is one of those football situations where ignorance is bliss. To explain that, I doubt we as 49ers fans would even know what the 49ers had in Cooper yet; because I believe Brock still would have been the guy to replace Nnamdi. Unless Cooper jumped up the depth chart by outstanding practices, which of course could have been possible. So we would have been happy not yet knowing how good he would turn out to be. Unfortunately we do know how well he is playing and it stings a bit. It would have been really nice to be able to fall back on Rogers/Culliver/Cooper next season if the team can't come to terms with Brown or Brock. Now we're looking at a worse case scenario of Rogers/Culliver/Cox without accounting for the draft and free agency.

I think the best approach is to stop crying over spilled milk. It is all over with at this point. The 49ers made a mistake and there is no going back.

I don't think Rogers sticks. His contract balloons next year.

I agree with the spilled milk thing, just saw the article again and it sparked my frustration.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Rogers sticks. His contract balloons next year.

I agree with the spilled milk thing, just saw the article again and it sparked my frustration.

People keep saying that, but his salary is $5.5 mil this year and $6.25 mil in 2014 according to rotoworld. Is there some big cap hit coming that they don't account for?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People keep saying that, but his salary is $5.5 mil this year and $6.25 mil in 2014 according to rotoworld. Is there some big cap hit coming that they don't account for?

That's actually less than I thought. I guess he may stay. He's been playing better this year. Last year he was looking shaky, he's seemed sounder this year, so we'll see what happens.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

$6.25M isn't bad if he is still a quality NFL starter, will he be NEXT season? no one can answer this so at the end of this season, Baalke and staff will have to project? Rogers will have to continue playing WELL rest of this season. IMO Rogers projection can't even be 'in question', if so he will be asked to negotiate.

at the same time, Baalke REALLY has to look at everyone's value? they'll be negotiating with Kaep, Iupati, Aldon, Brown, etal. if they go down to the value of the long snapper, they'll surely take a hard look at $6.25M.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here are Rogers' salary numbers - » Over the Cap- Carlos Rogers Salary Cap and Contract Page
We could potentially save over 9mil on the 2015 cap if Rogers is cut before the 2014 season, as well as 5mil on the 2014 cap. If we wait til 2015 to cut him, we'd save 7.6mil on the 2015 cap.

neither 'for' nor 'against' Rogers, but with the impending contracts for other players......can't help think he'll be asked to negotiate? this isn't to say he can no longer play or going downhill fast, but this roster is already hard to cap manage. tougher decisions will be made, and quality players will be let go.

Kaep alone will place pressure on everyone else.

later when the draft discussion heats up, it'll be interesting discussion with a solid roster, and many picks?

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
neither 'for' nor 'against' Rogers, but with the impending contracts for other players......can't help think he'll be asked to negotiate? this isn't to say he can no longer play or going downhill fast, but this roster is already hard to cap manage. tougher decisions will be made, and quality players will be let go.

Kaep alone will place pressure on everyone else.

later when the draft discussion heats up, it'll be interesting discussion with a solid roster, and many picks?

That's it the money is needed to resign younger players. Zero chance he's back at that price.