• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mangini's Defense

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are the 49ers building their defense in the image of a division rival under Eric Mangini? - Niners Nation

Interesting article on what the defense might look like next year. Much different look.

read this earlier and yes, interesting indeed. IF they can pull it off with these DB's, why not mix it up? We wouldn't have to use Safeties often in the box, but on occassion? Cause we are ok at ILB.

also, MAYBE a big reason Tartt was drafted in round 2, despite already having Ward?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read this earlier and yes, interesting indeed. IF they can pull it off with these DB's, why not mix it up? We wouldn't have to use Safeties often in the box, but on occassion? Cause we are ok at ILB.

also, MAYBE a big reason Tartt was drafted in round 2, despite already having Ward?

I think there might be something to that where players are being drafted to fit the new scheme. I read another reason the team let Iupati walk in addition to his high price tag was that Iupati was not suited to a Zone Blocking Scheme.

I've read with Mangini's aggressive scheme, the D will be more vulnerable to big plays and the players have to be more discliplined to stay in the proper position

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think there might be something to that where players are being drafted to fit the new scheme. I read another reason the team let Iupati walk in addition to his high price tag was that Iupati was not suited to a Zone Blocking Scheme.

I've read with Mangini's aggressive scheme, the D will be more vulnerable to big plays and the players have to be more discliplined to stay in the proper position

guess it depends on how aggressive? I'm ok adding a little blitzing but not much. the first reason is don't want to give up too many big plays. I understand it comes with being aggressive, but lets not give up too many where this offense can't keep up. Secondly, we have a good pass rushing group, so we don't need to get REALLY aggressive.

Don't know how to quantify "a little blitzing", so i'll just say 10 to 15% of the opportunities. 'Opportunity' meaning on likely passing downs by the offense.

They can adjust from there depending on how they execute, and the current opponent

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess it depends on how aggressive? I'm ok adding a little blitzing but not much. the first reason is don't want to give up too many big plays. I understand it comes with being aggressive, but lets not give up too many where this offense can't keep up. Secondly, we have a good pass rushing group, so we don't need to get REALLY aggressive.

Don't know how to quantify "a little blitzing", so i'll just say 10 to 15% of the opportunities. 'Opportunity' meaning on likely passing downs by the offense.

They can adjust from there depending on how they execute, and the current opponent

From what I remember, Mangini has been aggressive with blitzes compared with other teams in the league. We'll have to wait and see if he continues on that route with the 49ers

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The article says Mangini's teams have historically blitzed about 25% of the time. We may not blitz quite that much if we can generate good pressure with four, but I certainly expect a lot more blitzing.

Blitzing can allow big plays, but it can also generate big plays. We don't want to go overboard with it, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more blitzing than we have the past couple years. Bowman has been a very effective blitzer, for instance, when given opportunities in the past.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article says Mangini's teams have historically blitzed about 25% of the time. We may not blitz quite that much if we can generate good pressure with four, but I certainly expect a lot more blitzing.

Blitzing can allow big plays, but it can also generate big plays. We don't want to go overboard with it, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more blitzing than we have the past couple years. Bowman has been a very effective blitzer, for instance, when given opportunities in the past.

The team has been conservative with blitzing going all the way back to when Nolan was head coach. Nolan was way too vanilla and conservative. Will be different from what we are used to.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is going to surprise some people with his D this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he is going to surprise some people with his D this year.

if the quality of the D-line is as good as we think, yes our D will surprise. first 'stop' the run and then utilize our quality pass rushers. Insert three of them at times.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Aldon returns to form and Aaron Lynch continues to improve from last year, that is going to be one heck of a pass rush. Throw in Carradine in passing downs and we could really see a tough front seven on passing downs