• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Making room for my K.....

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the league I'm in doesn't require, I typically avoid drafting a kicker, and take a chance on an extra rookie or potential breakout player, then drop my worst guy before week 1.
Pros: get the chance to grab a guy that wins a camp battle or carves out a defined role on a good offense
Cons: clue the other owners in on a potential breakout guy that probably would have been available to me as a FA, and then I have to release him back into the pool before the season even starts

Right now I have 2 leagues that I still need to grab a kicker in, but I'm having problems deciding who my weakest link is. I'll put the players in order, the asterisk/underlined guy is where I'm leaning right now.

10 team PPR, bonuses for yardage thresholds, 100 150 200 for RB/WR, 300 350 400 for QBs, each level adds 5pts to the players score.

*Jordan Mathews*
Aaron Dobson
Justin Hunter / Rueben Randle

The rest of my RBs/WRs (didn't draft a backup QB or TE -- Luck and Rudolph -- since I kept feeling like good guys were dropping to me):
Forte, Bernard, Vereen, Joique, Hyde: can't see myself dropping any of these guys, most of you know I have a RB fetish :lol:
Jordy, Keenan, Torrey Smith, Brandin Cooks: with these 4 guys that I love in PPR this year, it makes dropping a WR seem like the way to go.

10 team standard, no bonuses. 4 player keeper league

*Terrance West*
LeGarrette Blount

Really can't see myself dropping any of my other players:
Kaeps - dropped Wheaton for BigBen in order to provide some insurance/depth. QBs went early in the draft, even backups
McCoy, Bernard, Bell (all keepers), Pierce
AJ Green, Mike Floyd, Emmanuel Sanders, Roddy White, Terrance Williams
Gronk (keeper) drafted Pitta as Gronk insurance.

So planning on dropping Jordan Mathews and West within the next 2 days.
Does that seem like my best route in each league?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Jordan Mathews*
Aaron Dobson
Justin Hunter / Rueben Randle

*Terrance West*
LeGarrette Blount

I like Matthews too. Don't trust Dobson or any NE WR - they distribute the ball all over, and are more run-oriented than most people give them credit for. As for Hunter, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Randle would be the next guy I'd consider.

Notes that I've been reading out of Cleveland aren't very positive for West. Seems like his stock has dropped dramatically. Crowell may be the current RB sleeper. While I do like Blount, his latest weed incident and his past issues would make me hesitate.

Probably doesn't help you much, does it?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still would rather keep West, simply because I don't see any of your bubble WRs (Mathews/Dobson) outproducing the guys ahead of them. I do agree that West's prospect appear to be much lower than they were a couple weeks ago though.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still would rather keep West, simply because I don't see any of your bubble WRs (Mathews/Dobson) outproducing the guys ahead of them. I do agree that West's prospect appear to be much lower than they were a couple weeks ago though.

2 different squads - I don't have Mathews/Dobson in the same league that I have West in.
Would you keep West over Blount, and which of those 2 bubble WRs would you let go?

Only reason I like Dobson so much this year is that I think he is the only true down field threat out of the Pats WRs. LaFell and Thompkins don't seem to be that type, and Amendola and Edelman work the short stuff.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a 10-team league it's hard to imagine anybody starting Blount or West - or an at-best-#4-option-on-his-team Dobson.

PPR hurts Dobson, too, with Vereen, Gronk, Edelman and Amendola sucking up targets and Dobson in a fight with a solid Thompkins to see snaps. Way too iffy for a 10-team league.

Even if Tate goes down, how good are the Browns? If Le'Veon goes down, Blount might have value.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And let me channel Treff for a second...

Not drafting a K when you have to start one is a bush league move. Just my opinion. :suds:

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And let me channel Treff for a second...

When there isn't money on the line, I agree completely.
But when gambling, if a statistical advantage presents itself and you don't take it, that's you own prerogative.

I look for every single edge possible in my money leagues, no sense not to. The pts/wk from a FA K and a drafted K are the same. The pts/wk from potential breakout RBs/WRs can create the kind of depth needed to make 2:1 deals later in the season, and stock your team with studs.

I'd never pull that kind of drafting move in any MBBRL competitions, so no need to worry there. BTW, my K is always my last, or second last pick of my draft.
Odds are, before the season started, I would drop that K for a guy that's getting hot in preseason, and reassess my team before week 1 any way before picking up another K.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. I misread Monkey.

I personally like Mathews over Dobson, but you seem to prefer Dobson and I don't feel strongly enough about my choice to argue it. I think they are pretty close.

I would definitely keep Blount over West. I think Blount will have a decent sized role even with a healthy Bell, the Steelers' O projects to be much better than the Browns, and West did not look good at all in the preseason.

I believe Blount is being almost criminally under-drafted. He should be going closer to where Hyde has been given the Steelers' plans at the RB position.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing for me is that they're 10-team leagues. None of these guys will ever start for anybody even as a bye-week fill-in - unless somebody gets hurt. But that's true of other guys who are probably on the wire, too.