• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Make the 10 game conference schedules permanent?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if aggy is a culture fit then your culture is ALL WRONG

squeeze.gif

1dbc5b545d3494402b7edb0989c011b6.gif

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the SWC is going to return??!
Texas
Tech
TCU
SMU
aggy
Baylor
coog high
Rice
There you go. Texas mighty actually have the chance to win the conference for once. :suds:

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, don't we all like a 68-3 game as long as we're on the winning side?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be okay with 9 or 10 game conference schedules, but more than anything eliminate FCS games from counting towards bowl eligibility.

If you want to play one, fine...but do so at your own peril.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/why-a-move-to-10-game-conference-schedules-in-college-football-should-be-a-permanent-one/

I'm old fashioned and would rather go the other direction (but only with adjustments) than this guy. I'd rather see 8 team conference with 7 conference games, 3 OOC games against other P5 conference teams and then 2 games with whoever the hell they want...be it G5, FCS or a good local high school team. We'd still get 10 P5 vs P5 games every year and some good variety. Conferences are just too damned big now IMO.

This guy does have some good points.

"There are too many games played between schools with no connection to one another, while regional rivals who share a conference and began playing a century ago might see one another once a decade. It's a system that makes little sense.

As things stand, Alabama and Georgia are scheduled to play in September. This is a big deal because they're both College Football Playoff contenders, but it's also a big deal because it would be the first time they've met in the regular season since 2015. That means that, had Alabama's game with USC not been canceled, the Tide would have played more regular-season games against USC in the last five years than Georgia. What makes it more remarkable is that, before the 2015 meeting, the last time Georgia and Alabama had a regular-season meeting was the 2008 season."

I'll bet before conference expansion, Bama and Georgia used to play every year. That's the way it should be IMO.

So what you're saying is that Nick Saban released the coronavirus so that he wouldn't have to play UGA in the regular season this year?

tenor.gif

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC wants to go opposite. They’ll do 7 games.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 14 member ACC & SEC won't play a 9 game conference schedule let alone a 10 game one.
Why would we. The schedule is great as it is. Especially with most of the good teams now scheduling 2-3 good OOC games per year. I'd rather have more quality OOC than more SEC games.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the TV payouts be higher to offset a lost home game?
It's not just money to the schools, it's the economic impact to the college towns. That can't be replaced with TV money. One reason that UGA is fine playing UF in Jax is that it drives economic benefit to south Georgia, particular along the coast. Athens takes the hit that one week, but the Ga coast gets a huge influx of money.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. They didn't play from '66-71, '74, '75 or '78-'83. Anyone know why?
The disruption in 66 was because of GaTech and Tulane dropping out of the SEC making it a 10 team conference rather than a 12 team conference.

Subsequently, per wiki:

SEC teams did not play a uniform number of conference games until 1974. Prior to that, the number of conference games teams played ranged from four to eight, but most played a 6- or 7-game schedule. The league adopted a uniform 6-game schedule from 1974 to 1987, and added a seventh conference game from 1988 to 1991. Through this period and through the earlier years each SEC school had five permanent opponents, developing some traditional rivalries between schools, and the other games rotated around the other members of the conference.

After expansion to twelve programs in 1992, the SEC went to an 8-game conference schedule, with each team playing the five other teams in their division and three opponents from the other division. The winners of the two divisions would then meet in the SEC Championship Game.

From 1992 through 2002, each team had two permanent inter-divisional opponents, allowing many traditional rivalries from the pre-expansion era (such as Florida vs. Auburn, Kentucky vs. LSU, and Vanderbilt vs. Alabama) to continue. However, complaints from some league athletic directors about imbalance in the schedule (for instance, Auburn's two permanent opponents from the East were Florida and Georgia – two of the SEC's stronger football programs at the time – while Mississippi State played Kentucky and South Carolina every year) led to the SEC reducing the number of permanent inter-division opponents to one starting in the 2003 season. The TV networks televising SEC games were also pressuring for the change so attractive match-ups between non-traditional opponents would happen twice every five years instead of twice every eight years. With the subsequent expansion to 14 members in 2012, non-permanent cross-division opponents face each other in the regular season twice in a span of twelve years.

Under the current format, each school plays a total of eight conference games, consisting of the other six teams in its division, one school from the other division on a rotating basis, and one school from the other division that it plays each year. The permanent cross-division matchups are: Alabama–Tennessee; Arkansas–Missouri; Auburn–Georgia; LSU–Florida; Mississippi State–Kentucky; Ole Miss–Vanderbilt; Texas A&M–South Carolina.

The current scheduling arrangement was originally set to expire after the 2015 season, but the SEC presidents voted 10–4[62] in April 2014 to keep the current format for an additional six to eight seasons beyond 2015.[63] Additionally, beginning in 2016, SEC teams will be required to schedule at least one opponent each season from the other so-called "Power Five" conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, or Pac-12); games against football independent schools also qualify, including Army, BYU, and Notre Dame.[63][64][65]

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we. The schedule is great as it is. Especially with most of the good teams now scheduling 2-3 good OOC games per year. I'd rather have more quality OOC than more SEC games.
That's bs. Nobody plays less regular season P5 opponents on average than the SEC year in and year out.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I can see that. Sounds like a "football cultural fit" instead of what I was thinking.

I can see that. But that would mean Mizzou, Kentucky and Vandy aren't good cultural fits in the SEC wouldn't it?

I've never been able to figure out exactly where to classify the state of Oklahoma. I don't see them as really Midwest, South or Southwest. What say ye land thieves? What are you guys?
To me, an SEC school is going to be a flagship university, that is ok academically but that isn't the only thing. The SEC is solid at the top with Vandy, UF, UGA and TAMU. Beyond that they are good but not great state schools from a ranking perspective. The SEC wasn't going to take a directional school like ECU, UCF, USF, etc. Clemson and FSU made sense, but that wasn't going to be allowed by USCjr and UF.

The ACC, PAC, and B1G were more stringent in the academics side of things. Louisville to the ACC was an aberration driven by basketball, Rutgers and Maryland fit the academic profile and AAU association required by the B1G.

To me the best fit would have been to admit UT, TAMU, OU and OkState had the Big12 destructed, and ignored Missouri who is a better match for the B1G. You would have admitted those 4 teams to the SECW, and moved Auburn and Alabama to the East. This would have preserved the UTjr v. UA, and UGA v. AU, the two most storied cross division rivalries. That would have given you:

West - LSU, Arky, MSU, OM, UT, OU, TAMU, OkState
East - UGA, UF, UT, AU, UA, Vandy, Ky, USCjr

Or the Pods concept would work really well with this, with 4 pods of 4 - UGA, UF, USCjr, Vandy / LSU, UTjr, OM, MSU / UA, AU, Arky, Ky / UT, OU, TAMU, OkState

Culture to me is that football is almost at the same level of academics, or at least very integrally intertwined. Large state school, big greek system, university all in for collegiate sports.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bs. Nobody plays less regular season P5 opponents on average than the SEC year in and year out.
Please check the schedules of the good teams from all good conferences - meaning not the PAC - and see what their schedules are from about 2022 - 2034. They are scheduling heavy OOC. I've posted all this here before. Check out the top teams in the SEC, ACC (that means Clemson), the B1G, and the B12 ... the top 10-15 teams are all loading up on OOC. That's going to be incredible.

Ideally I'd like 8 conference games, 2-3 P5 OOC, 1-2 G5 games to serve as pre-season warm-ups or in-season bye weeks.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please check the schedules of the good teams from all good conferences - meaning not the PAC - and see what their schedules are from about 2022 - 2034. They are scheduling heavy OOC. I've posted all this here before. Check out the top teams in the SEC, ACC (that means Clemson), the B1G, and the B12 ... the top 10-15 teams are all loading up on OOC. That's going to be incredible.

Ideally I'd like 8 conference games, 2-3 P5 OOC, 1-2 G5 games to serve as pre-season warm-ups or in-season bye weeks.
Nobody plays less regular season P5 opponents on average than the SEC .. not even the ACC plays less on average.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody plays less regular season P5 opponents on average than the SEC .. not even the ACC plays less on average.
You've been arguing this for years, so I know your position. I've always said the same thing in response ... each conference gets to do what they want to do. The SEC is smart, the PAC is dumb. You do what you evidently like to do, we do what we like to do.

As for the scheduling you are talking the past, I am talking the future. I posted this before ... where's Washington in all this? You have games against UM, MSU and tOSU. Man up and schedule some good OOC then this won't bother you so much. I'd love to to an away game at your house.

UGA has:

2028: Texas, FSU and GaTech
2029: Texas, Clemson, GaTech
2030: Clemson, tOSU, GaTech
2031: tOSU, Oklahoma, GaTech

We also have 5 games against Clemson in the next 10 years.
We have 10 games with series against FSU, UCLA, OU, tOSU, UT
And GaTech every year.

Here are the others:

Bama:
USC
Miami
UT
UT/USF
USF/Wisky
FSU/Wisky
WVU/USF/FSU
WVU/tOSU
ND/tOSU
ND
GaTech
GaTech

UGA:
GaTech, every year
UVA
Clemson
Oregon
OU
Clemson
UCLA
UCLA
FSU
UT/FSU
UT/Clemson
Clemson/tOSU
tOSU/OU
Clemson
Clemson

OU:
UTjr
Neb
Neb
UGA
UTjr
UM
UM
LSU
LSU
Neb
Neb
UGA
Bama
Bama
Clemson
Clemson

Clemson:
USCjr, every year
ND
UGA
ND
ND
UGA
LSU
LSU
ND
ND
UGA
UGA
ND
UGA
UGA
ND
OU
OU
ND

USC:
Bama
ND
ND
ND/BYU
ND
ND/OleMiss
ND/OleMiss

Oregon:
tOSU
tOSU
UGA
TexTech
TexTech
OkState/BSU
OkState/BSU
Baylor
Baylor
MSU
MSU

Texas:
USF/LSU
Arky
Bama
Bama
UM
tOSU
tOSU
UM
UGA
UGA
UF
UF
ASU
ASU

LSU:
UT
UCLA
FSU
FSU
UCLA
Clemson
Clemson
OU
OU
ASU
ASU
Utah
Utah

tOSU:
Oregon
Oregon
ND
ND
WashU
WashU/UT
UT/Bama
BC/Bama
UGA
UGA

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've been arguing this for years, so I know your position. I've always said the same thing in response ... each conference gets to do what they want to do. The SEC is smart, the PAC is dumb. You do what you evidently like to do, we do what we like to do.

As for the scheduling you are talking the past, I am talking the future. I posted this before ... where's Washington in all this? You have games against UM, MSU and tOSU. Man up and schedule some good OOC then this won't bother you so much. I'd love to to an away game at your house.

UGA has:

2028: Texas, FSU and GaTech
2029: Texas, Clemson, GaTech
2030: Clemson, tOSU, GaTech
2031: tOSU, Oklahoma, GaTech

We also have 5 games against Clemson in the next 10 years.
We have 10 games with series against FSU, UCLA, OU, tOSU, UT
And GaTech every year.

Here are the others:

Bama:
USC
Miami
UT
UT/USF
USF/Wisky
FSU/Wisky
WVU/USF/FSU
WVU/tOSU
ND/tOSU
ND
GaTech
GaTech

UGA:
GaTech, every year
UVA
Clemson
Oregon
OU
Clemson
UCLA
UCLA
FSU
UT/FSU
UT/Clemson
Clemson/tOSU
tOSU/OU
Clemson
Clemson

OU:
UTjr
Neb
Neb
UGA
UTjr
UM
UM
LSU
LSU
Neb
Neb
UGA
Bama
Bama
Clemson
Clemson

Clemson:
USCjr, every year
ND
UGA
ND
ND
UGA
LSU
LSU
ND
ND
UGA
UGA
ND
UGA
UGA
ND
OU
OU
ND

USC:
Bama
ND
ND
ND/BYU
ND
ND/OleMiss
ND/OleMiss

Oregon:
tOSU
tOSU
UGA
TexTech
TexTech
OkState/BSU
OkState/BSU
Baylor
Baylor
MSU
MSU

Texas:
USF/LSU
Arky
Bama
Bama
UM
tOSU
tOSU
UM
UGA
UGA
UF
UF
ASU
ASU

LSU:
UT
UCLA
FSU
FSU
UCLA
Clemson
Clemson
OU
OU
ASU
ASU
Utah
Utah

tOSU:
Oregon
Oregon
ND
ND
WashU
WashU/UT
UT/Bama
BC/Bama
UGA
UGA
The SEC hates college football tradition hence the reason they avoid playing their own conference members.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. They didn't play from '66-71, '74, '75 or '78-'83. Anyone know why?

Changing number of conference games over that span...6, 7 and 8 game seasons. The majority are 6 game. 8 didn't become the standard until we went to divisions in 1992.

When you played the rotating teams it was in back to back years, home and away. Which is why Georgia and Alabama played in 72 and 73 then 76 and 77.

I would be much happier to go back to the 1970's and 80's scheduling.

70 season was #3 USC, Va Tech, #15 Houston and Miami OOC in 11 game season.
71 season was the same except Southern Miss for Va Tech.
78 season was #10 Nebraska, @#11 Missouri, #7 USC, @Washington and VA Tech.

As for the 10 game conference schedule, it's bullshit. A place for weak conferences to hide the fact that they are shitty...yes, Pac-12 I'm talking about you and your inability to beat anyone with a pulse. I'm fine with 10 P5 games, but I still only want 8 conference games. Besides, how the is the B12 supposed to play 10 conference games? Maybe they could have a jamboree where you play a quarter against each team to start the season...I've seen that in pop warner...which of course, would make it more suited for the Pac-12.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC hates college football tradition hence the reason they avoid playing their own conference members.

The Pac-12 knows that their best chance of making the playoffs is not to play anyone from another conference.

Bold move Cotton. It would probably be a better strategy if you had build up a bit of a track record of winning OOC games before you did that.

But then again, what would Washington know about that. Too bad you shit canned that Michigan game, going to be a minimum 7301 days between regular season ranked OOC wins for you....might as well call it 20 years. Hell if you miss that one might as well call it 30 years, because you only have Ohio State as a potential ranked opponent for the next 10, and we all know you aren't winning either of those. 30 fucking years, can you imagine, a whole generation of fans that know nothing but getting your ass kicked...fucking ouch.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac-12 knows that their best chance of making the playoffs is not to play anyone from another conference.

Bold move Cotton. It would probably be a better strategy if you had build up a bit of a track record of winning OOC games before you did that.

But then again, what would Washington know about that. Too bad you shit canned that Michigan game, going to be a minimum 7301 days between regular season ranked OOC wins for you....might as well call it 20 years. Hell if you miss that one might as well call it 30 years, because you only have Ohio State as a potential ranked opponent for the next 10, and we all know you aren't winning either of those. 30 fucking years, can you imagine, a whole generation of fans that know nothing but getting your ass kicked...fucking ouch.
Funny that seeing how no conference travels as much as the PAC. Try harder.