• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Make the 10 game conference schedules permanent?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've been arguing this for years, so I know your position. I've always said the same thing in response ... each conference gets to do what they want to do. The SEC is smart, the PAC is dumb. You do what you evidently like to do, we do what we like to do.

As for the scheduling you are talking the past, I am talking the future. I posted this before ... where's Washington in all this? You have games against UM, MSU and tOSU. Man up and schedule some good OOC then this won't bother you so much. I'd love to to an away game at your house.

UGA has:

2028: Texas, FSU and GaTech
2029: Texas, Clemson, GaTech
2030: Clemson, tOSU, GaTech
2031: tOSU, Oklahoma, GaTech

We also have 5 games against Clemson in the next 10 years.
We have 10 games with series against FSU, UCLA, OU, tOSU, UT
And GaTech every year.

Here are the others:

Bama:
USC
Miami
UT
UT/USF
USF/Wisky
FSU/Wisky
WVU/USF/FSU
WVU/tOSU
ND/tOSU
ND
GaTech
GaTech

UGA:
GaTech, every year
UVA
Clemson
Oregon
OU
Clemson
UCLA
UCLA
FSU
UT/FSU
UT/Clemson
Clemson/tOSU
tOSU/OU
Clemson
Clemson

OU:
UTjr
Neb
Neb
UGA
UTjr
UM
UM
LSU
LSU
Neb
Neb
UGA
Bama
Bama
Clemson
Clemson

Clemson:
USCjr, every year
ND
UGA
ND
ND
UGA
LSU
LSU
ND
ND
UGA
UGA
ND
UGA
UGA
ND
OU
OU
ND

USC:
Bama
ND
ND
ND/BYU
ND
ND/OleMiss
ND/OleMiss

Oregon:
tOSU
tOSU
UGA
TexTech
TexTech
OkState/BSU
OkState/BSU
Baylor
Baylor
MSU
MSU

Texas:
USF/LSU
Arky
Bama
Bama
UM
tOSU
tOSU
UM
UGA
UGA
UF
UF
ASU
ASU

LSU:
UT
UCLA
FSU
FSU
UCLA
Clemson
Clemson
OU
OU
ASU
ASU
Utah
Utah

tOSU:
Oregon
Oregon
ND
ND
WashU
WashU/UT
UT/Bama
BC/Bama
UGA
UGA
I give UGA credit for it's future OOC scheduling, and as a UGA fan/alum, you should want the rest of the conference to follow suit.
I get the GaTech game because that's a rival (2nd biggest university in the state). I think UGA should have one more high marquee matchup with a big name (which you have in future scheduling obviously, and last season vs ND).
Then you look at aggy.. who yes played clemson for the past two seasons (originally was oregon when they were winning under chip, which aggy canceled and added clemson, who was full clemson-ing at that time). But look who they have on their slate, from a clemson matchup to games vs Lamar, UTSA, TxState..

SEC should play 9 games in conference. I get why they don't, they don't want another loss with it's schools that may hamper them being bowl eligible. But if you are a fan of an SEC school you should want it since it's clear that certain schools will not beef up it's OOC scheduling within it's own conference.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culture to me is that football is almost at the same level of academics, or at least very integrally intertwined. Large state school, big greek system, university all in for collegiate sports.
Guess that was what got me confused. The meaning of "culture" is different to all of us.

To me, culture has really been kicked to the curb by money....plain and simple. So have a lot of other things I value.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally I'd like 8 conference games, 2-3 P5 OOC, 1-2 G5 games to serve as pre-season warm-ups or in-season bye weeks.
This would be heaven for this college football fan. I'd prefer to watch Texas vs Az State/South Carolina/Louisville/Michigan State, etal on Sept 19 instead of my Miners. Gives the fans much better college football IMO.

Yeah, yeah, I know G5 schools need the pay day and mine is one that benefits from them. But, we need to learn to make it on our own or get the hell out. Your idea still provides 1-2 of those games for us. (Disclaimer: Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma have been good ot us in this regard over the years. Course we recriprocate by giving them a easy win.)

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be heaven for this college football fan. I'd prefer to watch Texas vs Az State/South Carolina/Louisville/Michigan State, etal on Sept 19 instead of my Miners. Gives the fans much better college football IMO.

Yeah, yeah, I know G5 schools need the pay day and mine is one that benefits from them. But, we need to learn to make it on our own or get the hell out. Your idea still provides 1-2 of those games for us. (Disclaimer: Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma have been good ot us in this regard over the years. Course we recriprocate by giving them a easy win.)
I rather play UTEP than Louisville or MSU..why? Because who the hell would choose East Lansing over El Paso.. much less louisville. Give me authentic Mexican food and a day trip to Juarez..(DAY TRIP)

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet before conference expansion, Bama and Georgia used to play every year. That's the way it should be IMO.

Not quite. They played every year from 1919-1930, then played sporadically for a while before playing every year again between 1944 & 1965. After that, Georgia head coach/AD, Wally Butts, got his panties in a wad & wouldn't schedule Alabama again for a while. The in-conference scheduling now is handled through the SEC office.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, yeah, I know G5 schools need the pay day and mine is one that benefits from them. But, we need to learn to make it on our own or get the hell out. Your idea still provides 1-2 of those games for us. (Disclaimer: Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma have been good to us in this regard over the years. Course we reciprocate by giving them a easy win.)
Agreed ... think about these years for me:

In addition to getting to go games with UF, UT, AU, LSU and Bama, I'll get to go to H&A games with Texas, FSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, and tOSU. That's like fan heaven.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed ... think about these years for me:

In addition to getting to go games with UF, UT, AU, LSU and Bama, I'll get to go to H&A games with Texas, FSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, and tOSU. That's like fan heaven.
You'll like that then get pissed if anyone of importance get's KO'd out of a game vs Florida who happened to be able to relax playing a couple of scrimmages vs Southern Miss and Bama st.

UGA needs to be telling the commish that the rest of the conference needs to step up it's OOC schedule the way it's doing.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll like that then get pissed if anyone of importance get's KO'd out of a game vs Florida who happened to be able to relax playing a couple of scrimmages vs Southern Miss and Bama st.

UGA needs to be telling the commish that the rest of the conference needs to step up it's OOC schedule the way it's doing.
Most of the SEC teams are starting to schedule up like this. Even UF is traveling outside of Florida a couple times.

Because so many teams are doing this, there has to be a reason. I believe it's because they know in 2025 the CFP will go to 8 games, with auto-qualifiers for CCs (with conditions), and then 3 at large teams (no G5). This means you can play a badass OOC, lose a game and still win your conference, or have such a great strength of schedule you will get an at large bid. Couple that with people not wanting to pay to go and see games in 100 degree heat in September against crappy G5 teams means they have to start making the product better. Enough teams to do it, it will become the norm and suddenly the idea of having to be perfect to get to the CFP will be gone.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind if teams only played 1 game against non power 5 opponents and then the rest against power 5 opponents or conference

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the SEC teams are starting to schedule up like this. Even UF is traveling outside of Florida a couple times.

Because so many teams are doing this, there has to be a reason. I believe it's because they know in 2025 the CFP will go to 8 games, with auto-qualifiers for CCs (with conditions), and then 3 at large teams (no G5). This means you can play a badass OOC, lose a game and still win your conference, or have such a great strength of schedule you will get an at large bid. Couple that with people not wanting to pay to go and see games in 100 degree heat in September against crappy G5 teams means they have to start making the product better. Enough teams to do it, it will become the norm and suddenly the idea of having to be perfect to get to the CFP will be gone.
Meant 8 teams, not 8 games.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that seeing how no conference travels as much as the PAC. Try harder.

I was referring to this year dumbass. All the other years your shit play against OOC opponents has doomed your chances. You can't win 4 games against ranked non-conference opponents in 4 years and lose 20 and have people take you seriously.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm old fashioned and would rather go the other direction (but only with adjustments) than this guy. I'd rather see 8 team conference with 7 conference games, 3 OOC games against other P5 conference teams and then 2 games with whoever the hell they want...be it G5, FCS or a good local high school team. We'd still get 10 P5 vs P5 games every year and some good variety. Conferences are just too damned big now IMO.

BRING BACK THE BIG 8!!!

giphy.gif

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would really help revenue if everyone would just play all home games.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see realignment done correctly, unlike the bullshit they have today. All conferences would have 12 teams with the exception of the ACC and Big East with 11. All conferences would play 10 conference games with no divisions and the top-2 would play in the CCG. Again, all 11 conferences would do this. I'm well aware there's only 10 conferences now, but with realignment and a rule implemented that no conference can have more than 12 the Big East will be reborn. 14 teams is dumb as hell.

ACC (11)--Clemson, Duke, Florida St, GA Tech, Maryland, NC St, No Carolina, So Carolina, USF, Virginia, Wake Forest.
Big East (11)--Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Miami, Penn St, Pitt, Syracuse, Temple, UCF, VA Tech, West Virginia.
Big Ten (12)--Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa St, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Purdue, Wisconsin.
Big XII (12)--Baylor, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.
Pac-12 (12)--Arizona, Arizona St, BYU, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington St.
SEC (12)--Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Memphis, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see realignment done correctly, unlike the bullshit they have today. All conferences would have 12 teams with the exception of the ACC and Big East with 11. All conferences would play 10 conference games with no divisions and the top-2 would play in the CCG. Again, all 11 conferences would do this. I'm well aware there's only 10 conferences now, but with realignment and a rule implemented that no conference can have more than 12 the Big East will be reborn. 14 teams is dumb as hell.

ACC (11)--Clemson, Duke, Florida St, GA Tech, Maryland, NC St, No Carolina, So Carolina, USF, Virginia, Wake Forest.
Big East (11)--Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Miami, Penn St, Pitt, Syracuse, Temple, UCF, VA Tech, West Virginia.
Big Ten (12)--Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa St, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Purdue, Wisconsin.
Big XII (12)--Baylor, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.
Pac-12 (12)--Arizona, Arizona St, BYU, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington St.
SEC (12)--Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Memphis, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.

Nah, we'll keep Colorado. Give BYU to the BigXII.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/why-a-move-to-10-game-conference-schedules-in-college-football-should-be-a-permanent-one/

I'm old fashioned and would rather go the other direction (but only with adjustments) than this guy. I'd rather see 8 team conference with 7 conference games, 3 OOC games against other P5 conference teams and then 2 games with whoever the hell they want...be it G5, FCS or a good local high school team. We'd still get 10 P5 vs P5 games every year and some good variety. Conferences are just too damned big now IMO.

This guy does have some good points.

"There are too many games played between schools with no connection to one another, while regional rivals who share a conference and began playing a century ago might see one another once a decade. It's a system that makes little sense.

As things stand, Alabama and Georgia are scheduled to play in September. This is a big deal because they're both College Football Playoff contenders, but it's also a big deal because it would be the first time they've met in the regular season since 2015. That means that, had Alabama's game with USC not been canceled, the Tide would have played more regular-season games against USC in the last five years than Georgia. What makes it more remarkable is that, before the 2015 meeting, the last time Georgia and Alabama had a regular-season meeting was the 2008 season."

I'll bet before conference expansion, Bama and Georgia used to play every year. That's the way it should be IMO.

I'd be fine with a 10-game slate, but I would be happier with capping the number of teams that can be in a league.
Say...no more than 10 per league. Then folks could still venture out of the league and everybody could play
everyone else in their league, thus dropping the CCG.

But with the amount of money that has been lost to college athletics last year and probably some of this year,
I wouldn't be surprised if a 13th game was added rather than dropping back to 10. The schools need th money
and the only way to get it is by playing more college football games.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC playing 10 conference games lolololol