• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Make or break game for whom?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think wins against cupcake teams like the Tavaris Jackson lead Seahawks at home say much about the quality of a team. The Rob Ryan lead Cowboys' defense, however, is a different story. We're going to learn a lot about the players whose times have come to show something IMO.

Joe Staley is the first name who comes to mind. Last time he had to block Demarcus Ware he played extremely well. If he can do it again he'll have arrived as at least an above average OLT IMO.

Michael Crabtree is on about as hot of a hot seat as he can be IMO. I've all nbut given up on him, and he's going to have to do something big for me to change my mind.

Chilo Rachal is the 3rd name who comes to mind. he didn't play great last week, but he also didn't give up much pressure in the passing game. We need to see that he can do it against the likes of Jay Ratlif, Anthony Spencer & the rest.

Anthony Davis needs to show up big too, but I'm not ready to give up on him if he doesn't. Dude's still really young. I'm gonna give him about 10 more games.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Crabtree has been looking forward to facing the Cowboys ever since realizing that Dallas wasn't a likely home for him in the draft.

Brooks v. Tyron Smith; If Brooks is for real this season, he'll show it against the rook.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the sentiment but I don't think you can condemn any of our players if they lose battles to pro-bowlers (their D-line and LBers). I do think it's valid to condemn our QB/receivers if they can't be productive (even with pressure from the front seven). I would leave Crabby out as I think he'll have foot issues for awhile.

This is the kind of game that Harbaugh was brought in for. We have a legitimate shot at a victory and the staff needs to put the team in a position to be successful. If they do that, it will go a long way to building confidence in Harb's and co.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Tyron Smith isn't just any rook; either way I'm not looking for Brooks to show that he's for real. He's had enough time to show that, and he hasn't. I see him as a guy who might be able to fill a need on the roster, but he's not a guy temas would line up to have. I'm way more interested to see what Aldon Smith can do whenever he sees the field. So far so good IMO.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Crabtree has been looking forward to facing the Cowboys ever since realizing that Dallas wasn't a likely home for him in the draft.

Brooks v. Tyron Smith; If Brooks is for real this season, he'll show it against the rook.

None of their O-line is really that good, I look for us to get consistent pressure all day (which we'll need because their receivers outclass our secondary).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I agree with the sentiment but I don't think you can condemn any of our players if they lose battles to pro-bowlers

Well, it's not like I expect Staley to manhandle Ware or anything. I'm just looking for him to be able to hold his own. If he gives up a sack it's not like I'm done with Staley. In fact I expect the Niners to double team him a lot. I just don't want to look at the offense and see that it's failing because Alex's blind side is constantly collapsing.

I'm really more interested to see what the OL as a whole can do. If it fails then we can look closer to see who was the problem. Staley & Rachal need to have good games. A good game against Ware isn't the same thing as a good game against a lesser pass rusher, but Staley still needs to have a good game.

That said I think a great pass protector should be able to beat a great pass rusher the vast majority of the time.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
None of their O-line is really that good,

You mean individually? I'm not so sure about that. Tyron is a bad man.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of their O-line is really that good,

You mean individually? I'm not so sure about that. Tyron is a bad man.

I didn't see him against the Jets but he is a rook, so I do figure there will be some growin' pains. I admit I am speaking from a position of ignorance on him specifically, though.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For make or break... I would tag the OL entirely, but to specifiy, I would target both Staley and Davis... Either guy will get Ware at some point and it's very important that our QB(smith) can trust his two tackles to block their guy and give him the time to throw.

I almost want to say Aldon Smith... He had a solid game last week, but I want to see this guy wreak havoc vs Dallas OL n Romo...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with the sentiment but I don't think you can condemn any of our players if they lose battles to pro-bowlers

Well, it's not like I expect Staley to manhandle Ware or anything. I'm just looking for him to be able to hold his own. If he gives up a sack it's not like I'm done with Staley. In fact I expect the Niners to double team him a lot. I just don't want to look at the offense and see that it's failing because Alex's blind side is constantly collapsing.

I'm really more interested to see what the OL as a whole can do. If it fails then we can look closer to see who was the problem. Staley & Rachal need to have good games. A good game against Ware isn't the same thing as a good game against a lesser pass rusher, but Staley still needs to have a good game.

That said I think a great pass protector should be able to beat a great pass rusher the vast majority of the time.

this is it for me too, i know Alex Smith isn't going to become something he isn't, so next is the O-line. we all knew the line wouldn't be sharp right off the bat, so hopefully they get in sync sooner rather than later. just want them to do a decent job against a better D. one step at a time....

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think its great that the previus posters have singled out individual ofensive performers, but to me its the offense as a whole. The defense the last two years has shown it can be dominant, but when they are on the field for 40 minutes a game, their collective stats have become worse. I would argue that with a competent offense the last two years the niners would have had a Top 10 defense or better. If the offense can sustain drives and put some points on the board, I think our front 7 will dominate game. I would like to see Alex step up and personally I think he can become a slightly better than average qb. I am thinking that because this is a home game, the niners should win.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think wins against cupcake teams like the Tavaris Jackson lead Seahawks at home say much about the quality of a team. The Rob Ryan lead Cowboys' defense, however, is a different story. We're going to learn a lot about the players whose times have come to show something IMO.

Joe Staley is the first name who comes to mind. Last time he had to block Demarcus Ware he played extremely well. If he can do it again he'll have arrived as at least an above average OLT IMO.

Michael Crabtree is on about as hot of a hot seat as he can be IMO. I've all nbut given up on him, and he's going to have to do something big for me to change my mind.

Chilo Rachal is the 3rd name who comes to mind. he didn't play great last week, but he also didn't give up much pressure in the passing game. We need to see that he can do it against the likes of Jay Ratlif, Anthony Spencer & the rest.

Anthony Davis needs to show up big too, but I'm not ready to give up on him if he doesn't. Dude's still really young. I'm gonna give him about 10 more games.

I'd agree with all of those players with the exception of Crabtree. He still probably isn't a 100% and missed the preseason, so I'd give him a pass for a couple more weeks. I don't like that his injury can be used as an excuse, but in this case its valid unfortunately.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Newman is out for this game. Jennings is questionable leaning to doubtful and there nickle corner might be out too. Bodes well for us I guess.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newman is out for this game. Jennings is questionable leaning to doubtful and there nickle corner might be out too. Bodes well for us I guess.

I think Crimson mentioned in another thread that Scandricks is also out or doubtful...

the NFC east secondary is injury prone as F!!!!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Crimson mentioned in another thread that Scandricks is also out or doubtful...

the NFC east secondary is injury prone as F!!!!

A Texas resident posted in the "Looking ahead..." thread that Scandrick may be out for 2-3 weeks. Looks like we may be catching Dallas at the right time.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its great that the previus posters have singled out individual ofensive performers, but to me its the offense as a whole. The defense the last two years has shown it can be dominant, but when they are on the field for 40 minutes a game, their collective stats have become worse. I would argue that with a competent offense the last two years the niners would have had a Top 10 defense or better. If the offense can sustain drives and put some points on the board, I think our front 7 will dominate game. I would like to see Alex step up and personally I think he can become a slightly better than average qb. I am thinking that because this is a home game, the niners should win.

Agreed