• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maiocco: 49 MId Season Reports

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
good point on the D line playing a lot of snaps? Sop and McDonald did miss games, but still, they'll wear down?

so looking ahead to say last four games.......give the rookies a few snaps.

That can't be right. Razzano said that we rotate a lot up front, so...

Just kidding, but in seriousness, RJF should be getting more PT on first and second down, and at both DE and NT. Sop doesn't play all that many snaps because he's pulled in anything remotely resembling a passing down, but he's also playing on offense. I'm not too worried about J. Smith as he's played a lot his entire career (though he's made the playoffs what, one time?), but it's gotta be tough for Ray to go from situational player to a starter who almost never leaves the field. If we actually get a nice lead in some games, it would be nice to see what the rookies can do, too.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually hope we get off to big leads vs AZ n STL (2x each) therefore playing our backups more n more to rest the starters...

NOT ADVOCATING benching the starters down the stretch, we still have to play for HFA or #2 seed. But if the game is put out early, get the subs in and rest the starters at most positions.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I actually hope we get off to big leads vs AZ n STL (2x each) therefore playing our backups more n more to rest the starters...

NOT ADVOCATING benching the starters down the stretch, we still have to play for HFA or #2 seed. But if the game is put out early, get the subs in and rest the starters at most positions.

Yeah, that's my view. We don't bench guys until we clinch a bye at the least, but if we've got a nice lead (a la TB, though it doesn't have to be that big), I'd rotate a few guys on D. Not so much on offense, except maybe Gore (though my fantasy team doesn't like that....). We need the work.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's my view. We don't bench guys until we clinch a bye at the least, but if we've got a nice lead (a la TB, though it doesn't have to be that big), I'd rotate a few guys on D. Not so much on offense, except maybe Gore (though my fantasy team doesn't like that....). We need the work.

What I'd like to do would be once we had the game at hand, try working on deeper passes. I know there are several reasons not to, so I'm not stuck on this preference. One, longer passes require longer pockets of protection and put the QB at higher risk, for what, practice? Two, this would presumably give others more tape, not just let us practice. Three, it would prevent some playing time for Kaepernick, though if it gets Alex in a rhythym it might be worth it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Offense - Gore, Alex(gives Prime some minutes!), VD, Crabs, Edwards(if its beneficial), Iupati and Staley(those two have been hurt(whether its minor or not) A Davis actually has been an Iron man of sorts in his NFL career so far)... Goodwin too is possible, PB C needs to be healthy!

Defense - Wish I could rest them all! lol

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the biggest issue is how the coaches go about opening it up. I wouldn't mess with this too much other than to keep throwing a few more passes each game, and start nudging Alex Smith to take some calculated risks downfield. Especially in the second half when defenses are tired. Keep doing that every game, and pretty soon the passing yards should start creeping up towards the 250 mark.

If our passing game is working in a game, then might as well just start pouring it on. Wouldn't be a fan of forcing the issue though and getting everyone out of synch just to throw a lot more passes. A lot of QB's can handle that, but you don't want to play with fire with Alex Smith. He loses his confidence and we can find ourselves immediately back to square one.