• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Magic calls out Buss

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Magic wants this job for himself more than anything else out there.

"Jim is trying to do it himself and trying to prove to everybody that this was the right decision that my dad gave me the reins," Johnson said Tuesday on ESPN's "First Take." "He's not consulting anybody that can help him achieve his goals and dreams to win an NBA championship."

Buss became the Lakers' executive vice president of basketball operations -- the top person on the basketball decision-making side -- after his father, legendary owner Jerry Buss, died in February 2013.

However, the past two Lakers seasons have been filled with tumult. The team posted a franchise-high 55 losses last season and, at 13-38 entering Tuesday's game against the Denver Nuggets, is on pace to lose even more games this season.

"And I really believe this: [Kobe] should ... say to Jim and them, 'Look, if you don't sign one of these free agents [this offseason], man, I'm just not going to play next year,'" Magic Johnson said Tuesday.
Johnson, who has been an outspoken critic of Jim Buss since the Lakers hired Mike D'Antoni as coach over Phil Jackson in 2012, called this upcoming offseason the "biggest" of Buss' life.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Magic wants this job for himself more than anything else out there.

"Jim is trying to do it himself and trying to prove to everybody that this was the right decision that my dad gave me the reins," Johnson said Tuesday on ESPN's "First Take." "He's not consulting anybody that can help him achieve his goals and dreams to win an NBA championship."

Buss became the Lakers' executive vice president of basketball operations -- the top person on the basketball decision-making side -- after his father, legendary owner Jerry Buss, died in February 2013.

However, the past two Lakers seasons have been filled with tumult. The team posted a franchise-high 55 losses last season and, at 13-38 entering Tuesday's game against the Denver Nuggets, is on pace to lose even more games this season.

"And I really believe this: [Kobe] should ... say to Jim and them, 'Look, if you don't sign one of these free agents [this offseason], man, I'm just not going to play next year,'" Magic Johnson said Tuesday.
Johnson, who has been an outspoken critic of Jim Buss since the Lakers hired Mike D'Antoni as coach over Phil Jackson in 2012, called this upcoming offseason the "biggest" of Buss' life.

This is the part that got me. I love Magic. But, might he be overstepping a tad bit?

"Dr. Buss raised Jeanie and I up together," Johnson said. "When Jeanie went to USC business school, he was bringing us along together. Jim was not part of the Lakers. He never really saw our championship years. Jim was doing his own thing.

"He came back later on, and Dr. Buss knew he wanted the kids to decide later on to run the basketball side because Jeanie was definitely going to run the business side. I like Jim as a person. But at the same time, a great CEO or person who is in a powerful position will surround himself or put together a team to help them achieve their goals and dreams. Jim has not done that."

Well, if Jimmy doesn't pull a rabbit out of his hat, this will be his last Season in charge by choice or force.

* Damn you for being right, TF12 *

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why he is bitching - he said earlier that the Lakers should tank it and make sure they get that first round draft pick. Now they are tanking it and he still doesn't like it.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to give them some time as in a few years. The Lakers have some good people in there helping Jim. I think it might take a few years to figure it out and get it going, but it is going to get better. Dr Jerry Buss was letting Jeannie and Jim run the Lakers long before he died in my opinion, but stepped in when needed to correct their mistakes. They don't have that particular lead to advise them any more, so they are on their own now and they will figure it out.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new. He's been trashing Jim for years. Even when Dr. Buss was still alive and had final say over decisions, Magic would still take shots at Jim. I'm convinced it has nothing to do with basketball but is a deeply personal issue. Like one is jealous of the other or had some kind of fight back in the day or something but it smells of something along those lines. Something happened, Magic doesn't like Jimmy Boy so he throws jabs whenever he can.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real talk.

Nothing great is going to happen until Bryant is off the books.

Sucks, I know.

Just let it go Lakers fans... Let it go!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new. He's been trashing Jim for years. Even when Dr. Buss was still alive and had final say over decisions, Magic would still take shots at Jim. I'm convinced it has nothing to do with basketball but is a deeply personal issue. Like one is jealous of the other or had some kind of fight back in the day or something but it smells of something along those lines. Something happened, Magic doesn't like Jimmy Boy so he throws jabs whenever he can.

Really unprofessional as a business owner in the community. In their circles, however Magic is what they call new money because he made his millions in his career over the last 30 years or so. The Buss family is old money because Jim inherited the business from papa Buss. Most people like that seldom like each other, but the odd part is Jim has never said anything about Magic.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic is my favorite player of all time but when he talks I just wish he would stop talking. Jim isn't his father and we all know that. I still wish Magic would just stop talking.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^THIS^^^

This isn't the first time Magic has bashed Jim. Magic has even made himself look ridiculously hypocritical to do it.

I also agree that Magic seems to have a personal issue with Jim. When the Lakers made the trade that got them Dwight and Nash, Magic was all over ESPN praising the Lakers front office (never mentioned anyone by name) and claimed that "the Lakers were back" and would be winning championships. When it all blew up, he slammed the Lakers FO and laid it all at the feet of Jim Buss.

TLF is also 100% correct. Magic keeps taking shots at Jim, but Jim has never fired back at Magic.

Bottom line, it's time for Magic to stfu and worry about the Dodgers. It's almost time for spring training.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the part that got me. I love Magic. But, might he be overstepping a tad bit?

"Dr. Buss raised Jeanie and I up together," Johnson said. "When Jeanie went to USC business school, he was bringing us along together. Jim was not part of the Lakers. He never really saw our championship years. Jim was doing his own thing.

"He came back later on, and Dr. Buss knew he wanted the kids to decide later on to run the basketball side because Jeanie was definitely going to run the business side. I like Jim as a person. But at the same time, a great CEO or person who is in a powerful position will surround himself or put together a team to help them achieve their goals and dreams. Jim has not done that."

Well, if Jimmy doesn't pull a rabbit out of his hat, this will be his last Season in charge by choice or force.

* Damn you for being right, TF12 *

Actually, he has 2 more years. This is year one of his 3 year plan. If the Lakers aren't headed in the right direction by the end of the 2016 season, then he's gone.

The plan seems to be to use a combination of the draft (the Lakers could end up with 4 picks this year) and free agency with possibly a trade or 2 mixed in. Seems solid, but, like any plan, it has to be executed properly.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does seem to have some personal vendetta against Jimmy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does seem to have some personal vendetta against Jimmy.

Makes you wonder if Wiggy is right in his first sentence in the OP and that Magic wants the job for himself and maybe always has?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes you wonder if Wiggy is right in his first sentence in the OP and that Magic wants the job for himself and maybe always has?

Sure does. Maybe not Jimmy's job, but something more than the ceremonial title he had when he was still part owner of the team.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic...Bus...?

Magic...Buss...!

Magic...Buss...?

MAGIC BUS!!! Too much, the Magic Buss! Too MUUUUCH the Magic Buss!

Sorry, sorry...just, been seeing this thread pop up and every time, I think of that song.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeanie and Magic are basically brother and sister. He'll say anything she tells him to say.

I've lost a lot of respect for Magic the last few years. Half the stuff he says is really dumb.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Magic misses being VP and on the inner circle if he ever was. I think the OP is right. He really wants what Jim has. Classic definition of envy.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic needs to stfu and let this train wreck known as the lakers continue to make dumb decisions.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic needs to stfu and let this train wreck known as the lakers continue to make dumb decisions.

Magic was a great player but a bust as a coach.