• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lynch about to be offered an extension?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that this morning as well. Didn't open the link, but the report I heard estimates a $10mill salary next year in the deal. Not sure of the wisdom of giving big money to older backs. If it happens this way, Maxwell seems like a goner. You also have to wonder if this means RW has communicated that he may take a bit of a discount.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont be a 10m cap hit, i would bet his cap hit will be lower than it would have been if he stayed on the last year of his deal.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont be a 10m cap hit, i would bet his cap hit will be lower than it would have been if he stayed on the last year of his deal.

Sure, cap hit won't = season's salary in 2015, but that means cap dollars are pushed to the right, and there's an undeniable risk in doing that with a RB who'll be 29 this season. IMO, this type of contract has more potential to bring the team down than whatever we'll pay RW.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, cap hit won't = season's salary in 2015, but that means cap dollars are pushed to the right, and there's an undeniable risk in doing that with a RB who'll be 29 this season. IMO, this type of contract has more potential to bring the team down than whatever we'll pay RW.

This is not your average 29 year old RB. Bettis said it perfect, "Everyone gets concerned about RBs when they hit that 2k carries mark, great ones can get to 3k or more".

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the bulk of the money is up front and he ends up hitting that brick wall that running backs seem to hit after 30, then I don't see the contract being a big hindrance to getting everything else done that they want to get done going forward. I don't think they'd be willing to do this if it meant they couldn't do the other things they wanted to do too. Keep in mind that the cap figures to keep going up every year for at least the next few years, so there's more wiggle room than there would be if it was to stay stagnant. I also don't think we can rule out the possibility of Lynch deciding to retire sometime after the game. I'm confident they'll get this all figured out.

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard Pete say this in an interview yesterday, that they wanted to give him an extension.

Hope so, he hasn't lost a single step. Hes actually becoming my favorite player, I love his presence, and way he treats the media, not to mention just how awesome of a player he is.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i seriously doubt they are going to give him a shaun alexander style deal. its probably going to be 2 additional years with a minor penalty if we end up cutting him.

fact is, if we end up cutting or trading him we almost have to draft a RB round 1, this will keep us from having to do that and we can focus on an area of need like TE, OL, DT or get the best available.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i seriously doubt they are going to give him a shaun alexander style deal. its probably going to be 2 additional years with a minor penalty if we end up cutting him.
. I hope not. This FO should be smart enough to learn from the previous regime's mistake.

fact is, if we end up cutting or trading him we almost have to draft a RB round 1, this will keep us from having to do that and we can focus on an area of need like TE, OL, DT or get the best available.

Certainly not a fact. It would be highly unlikely anyone we could draft at the tail end of round 1 will be anything close to Lynch, so I seriously doubt this front office will feel backed into a corner on draft day. They are way too savvy and visionary for something like that.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we live in an era where everybody just wants to drool over the QB, but Lynch is and still is the focal point of our offense

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything more than an additional year would be a huge mistake. The way things are shaping up with Lynch, Wilson, and Maxwell it's really starting to look like they aren't going to make a big move to resign Wagner. It would be a huge mistake to let him go.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, so i'm on board with his extension and end his career as a Hawk.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything more than an additional year would be a huge mistake. The way things are shaping up with Lynch, Wilson, and Maxwell it's really starting to look like they aren't going to make a big move to resign Wagner. It would be a huge mistake to let him go.

I think they'd be more likely to let Maxwell walk than Wagner if it came down to signing one or the other.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we live in an era where everybody just wants to drool over the QB, but Lynch is and still is the focal point of our offense

I like Lynch but I just can't agree. He's very productive, for sure, but RW is the point guard that makes it go. He's the straw that stirs the drink. This team has been good plenty of times this year with meager output from #24. He only had 39 yards in SB48. We have ways to win if Lynch isn't going nuts. If RW is having a bad day, we are probably losing. You take Russell off this team and I think we're pretty much the equivalent of what the Buffalo Bills were this season. You take Lynch off the team for 2015 and go with Turbin & Michael, and I think we're still the team to beat.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is going up this year. Some reporting the number will be bigger than originally projected. Seahawks will benefit greatly from that. We'll be able to keep the band together for years to come.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Lynch but I just can't agree. He's very productive, for sure, but RW is the point guard that makes it go. He's the straw that stirs the drink. This team has been good plenty of times this year with meager output from #24. He only had 39 yards in SB48. We have ways to win if Lynch isn't going nuts. If RW is having a bad day, we are probably losing. You take Russell off this team and I think we're pretty much the equivalent of what the Buffalo Bills were this season. You take Lynch off the team for 2015 and go with Turbin & Michael, and I think we're still the team to beat.

Lynch doesn't just help the offense by touching the ball. He makes defenses have to try to account for him at all times. So even if he's not racking up yardage himself in every game, his ability to do so in any game forces defenses to pay more attention to him than they would a lower-tier running back. The threat of giving him the ball is what makes the read-option so effective, because even if he's not getting the ball, he's drawing defenders to him who would otherwise be focused on someone else. That allows Wilson to run for big chunks of yards or to have more time to find the open man. Obviously Wilson still has to make the right decisions and distribute the ball to the right guys, but I think even he would tell you that Lynch is the engine that drives the offense.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its not a knock on wilson, but losing an elite player would be a big hit to this offense. turbin and michael would not make up for that. and with the depth this draft has at RB, I really do believe we would take one with our first pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Lynch back is surely a good thing and as far as the extension goes, I'm sure it will be one that the Seahawks can live with, no matter what happens.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch doesn't just help the offense by touching the ball. He makes defenses have to try to account for him at all times. So even if he's not racking up yardage himself in every game, his ability to do so in any game forces defenses to pay more attention to him than they would a lower-tier running back. The threat of giving him the ball is what makes the read-option so effective, because even if he's not getting the ball, he's drawing defenders to him who would otherwise be focused on someone else. That allows Wilson to run for big chunks of yards or to have more time to find the open man. Obviously Wilson still has to make the right decisions and distribute the ball to the right guys, but I think even he would tell you that Lynch is the engine that drives the offense.

Well said. Lynch is an integral part of that offense. I said months ago if ML departs it will be the biggest hole the Hawks will need to fill. Turbin and Michael aren`t even in the same zip code as Lynch. WO Lynch and the current WR core Wilson will not be near as effective. If it comes down to signing Maxwell and Wagner (Wilson is all but locked up) you have to let them walk. Seattle D is good enough to hold most teams, but will need a little offense.

Who knows what the cap will hold? One thing for sure is you can't keep everyone. Hawks have done pretty well so far in tgat regard. But with success comes $. Players want to get paid and other teams will over pay for success.