• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lousy field

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing about how the field was lousy which contributed heavily to Earl slipping on the first play from scrimmage.

Don't these players, coaches, and equipment staff go on the field during warm-ups? Why did this catch anyone by surprise?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing about how the field was lousy which contributed heavily to Earl slipping on the first play from scrimmage.

Don't these players, coaches, and equipment staff go on the field during warm-ups? Why did this catch anyone by surprise?

They did. They put in longer spikes than normal - but they weren't enough and needed to be changed almost immediately. It was just an unfortunate circumstance that the first adjustment just wasn't enough.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Panthers had to play on the field too. They didn't have a problem with it. This is just one of the under-the-radar advantages of having home field advantage. Seahawks need to get HFA back next year.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The panthers also had 2 weeks to prepare. The field was a mess on purpose. The league needs to mandate field turf in every stadium, if they really care about player safety.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The panthers also had 2 weeks to prepare. The field was a mess on purpose. The league needs to mandate field turf in every stadium, if they really care about player safety.

Of course it was a mess on purpose. And the Seahawk stadium was deliberately designed to amplify sound. There is a lot more to home field advantage than just playing in front of your own fans. Don't make excuses. Get HFA back next year.

Oh, and the league does not care about player safety. Don't kid yourself. If they cared about player safety, there would not be Thursday games. And instead of contemplating an 18-game schedule, they would be contemplating a second bye week.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers had to play on the field too. They didn't have a problem with it. This is just one of the under-the-radar advantages of having home field advantage. Seahawks need to get HFA back next year.

They know their field and they're used to the playing surface. Their training facility uses the same crap. If you can't grow grass properly then just use game turf. This isn't the 70's-80's where it's carpet on concrete. It's actually a nice, safe, consistent playing surface. The divots the cleats were taking out were ridiculous.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the field was terrible .... No doubt it hurt our speed out there...

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible field conditions have caused many injuries over the years. The field conditions should be regulated so we don't see these tore up shitty conditions in a multi billion dollar sport. No excuse for it.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team got to warm up on the field, and like someone else said, it was the same cruddy field for both teams.

The Seahawks need to do a much better job of making the right adjustments the first time.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team got to warm up on the field, and like someone else said, it was the same cruddy field for both teams.

The Seahawks need to do a much better job of making the right adjustments the first time.

When the Hawks played the Vikings in the wildcard round, both teams only had pre-game warm-ups to get used to the conditions and that was it, so they were on a level playing field (pardon the pun). They both then had to make any necessary adjustments to those conditions during the game. Minnesota didn't have an advantage in that case because they didn't even get to practice in temperatures that cold because temperatures didn't get that cold until the day of the game.

With the Carolina game, the Panthers had a good two weeks to get used to the turf before the game, which allowed them to make the necessary adjustments at their own pace before ever having to play a game on it. The Seahawks only had warm-ups to get used to the turf, so they only had one chance to adjust before the game started. Unfortunately, they didn't make the right adjustment heading into the game and it cost them immediately. This was the definition of a home field advantage for the Panthers.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even care about advantages during the game. Player safety is the bigger issue and athletes getting paid many millions shouldn't have to risk injury because some franchise doesn't keep their field up properly.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The field did look pretty horrible. I don't know that it favored one team over the other, but I do think it's a bit of a head scratcher that you have these $10M a year athletes playing on a worse surface than what we have over here on Fort Lewis. I would be embarrassed if I was affiliated with BOA Stadium.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The field did look pretty horrible. I don't know that it favored one team over the other, but I do think it's a bit of a head scratcher that you have these $10M a year athletes playing on a worse surface than what we have over here on Fort Lewis. I would be embarrassed if I was affiliated with BOA Stadium.

Both teams did have to play on it but it definitely affected RW's style of play over Cam's style of play... I'll leave it at that... :suds:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams did have to play on it but it definitely affected RW's style of play over Cam's style of play... I'll leave it at that... :suds:
Not even my angle....I just can't believe that's the field they want their guys playing on. Most popular pro sports league in the world's richest country, and that's the field they have for multi-million dollar elite athletes? Ridiculous. On par with FedEx's ridiculousness from a few years back.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even my angle....I just can't believe that's the field they want their guys playing on. Most popular pro sports league in the world's richest country, and that's the field they have for multi-million dollar elite athletes? Ridiculous. On par with FedEx's ridiculousness from a few years back.

I don't remember the Soldier Field turf being particularly good when the Hawks had to play there 5 years ago either. Of course, that game was played in the snow, which never helps. Perpetually poor field conditions should be a fineable offense in my opinion. There are plenty of teams around the league that open up their fields to high school and college games in addition to NFL games and not all of those cities have great weather this time of year, but most of them still manage not to have a chewed up slip-and-slide of a field in January. I don't know why it's so hard for some teams to manage it.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor field conditions played into RGIIIs injury a few years back. Some might remember Edgar Martinez losing almost two years of his career (which is currently keeping him out of the HOF) due to poor field conditions (albeit not in a pro stadium, but still disgraceful). Others might remember Curt Warner essentially ending his career on a seam in the turf that tore up his knee. The list goes on forever.

There really are no good excuses for it. If it takes keeping the field exclusive to the NFL teams then do it. As was stated by JMR, the NFL is extremely popular and profitable. There is no reason to risk injury to the highly paid world class athletes of this league because some stadium management and staff can't take care of their grass properly.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor field conditions played into RGIIIs injury a few years back. Some might remember Edgar Martinez losing almost two years of his career (which is currently keeping him out of the HOF) due to poor field conditions (albeit not in a pro stadium, but still disgraceful). Others might remember Curt Warner essentially ending his career on a seam in the turf that tore up his knee. The list goes on forever.

There really are no good excuses for it. If it takes keeping the field exclusive to the NFL teams then do it. As was stated by JMR, the NFL is extremely popular and profitable. There is no reason to risk injury to the highly paid world class athletes of this league because some stadium management and staff can't take care of their grass properly.
As a point of interest, I met Curt Warner yesterday at Fort Lewis. I know he was listed around 5'11" during his playing days, but he sure seemed taller to me. He was incredibly nice and accommodating too.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's ^^^ good, hope it works. I'm very concerned about Palmer's finger though after what I saw last week. He was not sharp at all.