• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lots of Trade Talk Revolving Around Iggy

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Ducks would be stupid to trade Ryan, imo. They need some D. I'd bait Getsalaf and a couple others first. Ryan=Getz imo. Except ones older.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Homer was at a Ducks game a few weeks ago... :D

The Ducks need help on defense & depth at forward. I don't see the Flyers as a match really. Would Hartnell waive his NTC? Would the Flyers be willing to give up Couturier? They really don't have a young stud Defenseman. If they did they probably wouldn't give him up anyway. I just don't see a match between the two teams.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ducks would be stupid to trade Ryan, imo. They need some D. I'd bait Getsalaf and a couple others first. Ryan=Getz imo. Except ones older.

I agree. The problem is the Ducks have zero depth up the middle. Koivu is the 2nd line center. After that it's a mess. They get zero production from their bottom 2 lines. The prospect pool at center isn't that good either. After Peter Holland it's bleak. Their best prospect is a winger, Emerson Etem.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree. The problem is the Ducks have zero depth up the middle. Koivu is the 2nd line center. After that it's a mess. They get zero production from their bottom 2 lines. The prospect pool at center isn't that good either. After Peter Holland it's bleak. Their best prospect is a winger, Emerson Etem.

True. I have a hard time remebering who can play center for opposing teams. Esp one or two line teams.

This all points to free agency, but how the hell do they get some of these guys to commit? Goon protection? Sunny weather?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I have a hard time remebering who can play center for opposing teams. Esp one or two line teams.

This all points to free agency, but how the hell do they get some of these guys to commit? Goon protection? Sunny weather?

The Ducks don't have a ton of cap space. So signing free agents can be tough. I really don't understand why more players don't sign with the Kings & Ducks once they become UFA's. Chris Pronger said it took him less time to get to the Honda Center from his home than it did to get to Rexall Place in Edmonton.

The weather is great all year long. The beach is close by & if the wife wants to shop she has her choice of malls in O.C. or L.A..

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHY in the world would the Ducks trade Ryan? Too young/important/talented to their team. They have some other guys that would be much better trade targets. Also, Iggy with a $7mil tag may be a tough move. Like others have said, the teams that would be in need for a guy like him (and the teams he'd want to go to) just don't have the cap space or prospects to get it done.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iginla is definitely the type of player that could finally lead the Sharks over the hump in the playoffs. I don't think the Sharks could fit him in under the cap or have the prospects necessary to trade for him, but it's still fun to think about.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ducks don't have a ton of cap space. So signing free agents can be tough. I really don't understand why more players don't sign with the Kings & Ducks once they become UFA's. Chris Pronger said it took him less time to get to the Honda Center from his home than it did to get to Rexall Place in Edmonton.

The weather is great all year long. The beach is close by & if the wife wants to shop she has her choice of malls in O.C. or L.A..
Not many players grew up Kings or Ducks fans.
There is not a lot of endorsement deals (extra money) for hockey players
There is not a lot of "tradition" at either team.
There is a lot of travel with those teams
Those teams do not "overpay" often to get a star (it does happen)

Some guys might not mind scoring a hat trick and the sport news reporting a one handed catch in a high school football game instead.
Or being able to walk anywhere and no one bother them.
or models at parties asking them for dates (Jarod Stoll)

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many players grew up Kings or Ducks fans.
There is not a lot of endorsement deals (extra money) for hockey players
There is not a lot of "tradition" at either team.
There is a lot of travel with those teams
Those teams do not "overpay" often to get a star (it does happen)

Some guys might not mind scoring a hat trick and the sport news reporting a one handed catch in a high school football game instead.
Or being able to walk anywhere and no one bother them.
or models at parties asking them for dates (Jarod Stoll)

The Kings did everything they could to sign Brad Richards. He simply chose to go to New York. Travel aside UFA's should give the Kings & Ducks a longer look. Selanne loves So Cal by the way.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not 100% sure how it works, but it's my understanding that the cap hit would be pro-rated for this season. So if someone picks him up at the deadline it wouldn't be a $7M hit but more like 2 or 2.5. Is that not correct?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not 100% sure how it works, but it's my understanding that the cap hit would be pro-rated for this season. So if someone picks him up at the deadline it wouldn't be a $7M hit but more like 2 or 2.5. Is that not correct?

Yes, but Iginla is due 7 million next season as well.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings did everything they could to sign Brad Richards. He simply chose to go to New York. Travel aside UFA's should give the Kings & Ducks a longer look. Selanne loves So Cal by the way.
True but he picked NY for several of the reason I stated. Teemu loves SoCal as have other players, but I don't think many players are thinking "I can't wait until I am a UFA so I can move to SoCal"

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but Iginla is due 7 million next season as well.

Okay that's what I thought. I'm sure if a Cup contender had a chance to pick him up this season at the deadline for a mere $2M cap hit, they would find a way to make it work for next season, even if it means trading him. That of course is only looking at the cap space part of the equation and not the trade cost.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but he picked NY for several of the reason I stated. Teemu loves SoCal as have other players, but I don't think many players are thinking "I can't wait until I am a UFA so I can move to SoCal"

I'm sure players would like to probably play out East due to the travel. My point is I think more of them should give So Cal a chance. It's not necessarily what they think it is.