• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lookout landing off season plan

seafan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
"Sign SP Masahiro Tanaka to a 6 year, $70 million deal after submitting a $66 million posting fee.

Trade 2B Nick Franklin, OF Michael Saunders, RP Tom Wilhelmsen, and SP Tyler Pike to the Detroit Tigers in exchange for OF Austin Jackson and SP Rick Porcello.

Trade SP Erasmo Ramirez, RP Yoervis Medina, and SP Edwin Diaz to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in exchange for CF Peter Bourjos.

Trade OF Julio Morban and 1B/3B Steven Proscia to the New York Mets for 1B Lucas Duda.

Sign 1B/DH Corey Hart to a 2 year, $16 million contract.

Trade 1B Justin Smoak to the Baltimore Orioles for RP Brian Matusz.

Sign 2B/OF Kelly Johnson to a 1 year, $3 million contract.

Re-sign RP Oliver Perez to a 2 year, $6 million contract.

Sign SP Scott Baker to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract with performance incentives up to $4 million.

Sign C Geovany Soto to a 1 year, $4 million contract.

Sign SS Brendan Ryan to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract.

Give spring training invitations to RP Mark Lowe, RP Ryan Rowland-Smith, and RP Shawn Camp.
Acquire minor league 1B Brock Peterson and 1B Mauro Gomez."

What do you guys think of this plan? I like parts of it like going with a platoon at 1st though i dont see why smoak couldnt be part of that. The part i dont like is the detriot trade, porcello is way overrated. Could fined a better pitchers on the market for around the same price and franklin/wilhelmsen/pike is too much for austin jackson in my opinion. I like the bourjos trade though i dont see the angels going for it.

Thoughts.

lookoutlanding.com/2013/11/1/5047006/the-2014-lookout-landing-offseason-plan

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign SP Masahiro Tanaka to a 6 year, $70 million deal after submitting a $66 million posting fee.

Unless the team adds a lot of cap space, I just can't seem them spend $136 million on anyone, let alone a pitcher who has yet to pitch in the majors. I know Japanese numbers can look really good, but there hasn't been a high success rate for long term success for Japanese pitchers.

Trade 2B Nick Franklin, OF Michael Saunders, RP Tom Wilhelmsen, and SP Tyler Pike to the Detroit Tigers in exchange for OF Austin Jackson and SP Rick Porcello.

Don't like this trade at all. Not only has Franklin shown some indication that with experience he could be a solid MLB second basemen, but I really hate putting Pike in the deal. He's only 19, and as a left handed starter, is worth his weight in gold (especially if he continues to develop). It's way too early to give up on him.

Austin Jackson is a guy that I don't really want. He's a low power, low speed guy who strikes out a lot. That is just a recipe for disaster in Seattle. As for Rick Porcello, I see him like I did Jarrod Washburn, a guy with a 4.50 ERA who would win a lot on a solid team, but on a bad team would be 5-14.

Trade SP Erasmo Ramirez, RP Yoervis Medina, and SP Edwin Diaz to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in exchange for CF Peter Bourjos.

If neither of the earlier trades for starting pitching happen, it's much harder to trade Ramirez away, as he may need to be part of the rotation. Medina was one of the more productive relievers on the team last year, and Edwin Diaz is a lot like Pike, he's still really young (though seen as talented as Pike). In the end, it's a lot to give up for a guy who has only had one full season as a starter and that was 2 years ago.

Trade OF Julio Morban and 1B/3B Steven Proscia to the New York Mets for 1B Lucas Duda.

I really don't know enough about Morban and Proscia to really make a judgement about their long term viability and/or their trade value. Duda, though, seems to be a less patient version of Smoak (HR every 20 ABs and low batting average), and if that's what we're gonna get, then I'd rather just stay with who we have there.

Sign 1B/DH Corey Hart to a 2 year, $16 million contract.

This one doesn't seem so bad to me. The last Brewer the M's signed to a large contract after he's missed the year before turned in a couple good seasons (Richie Sexson). I'm not sure if this deal could happen if they pull off the first option.

Trade 1B Justin Smoak to the Baltimore Orioles for RP Brian Matusz.

There just doesn't seem to be any reason for the Orioles to pull this trade. They have a great bullpen, and that's always something you need as a baseball team. Besides, Smoak would immediately sit behind Chris Davis, and so a back up first baseman doesn't have the same value as a relief pitcher. Smoak could be a DH, but I just don't see his numbers translating very well for a position that only hits.

Sign 2B/OF Kelly Johnson to a 1 year, $3 million contract.

As long as the money is low, I don't have a like or dislike for this move.

Re-sign RP Oliver Perez to a 2 year, $6 million contract.

I agree, Perez has been very good, especially when he's brought in to face lefties.

Sign SP Scott Baker to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract with performance incentives up to $4 million.

Another veteran pitcher trying to make a career resurgence (3 starts in the last 2 seasons). I would prefer if they brought in a left hander to be the #3, and I don't think we need another veteran starter as Felix has nearly a decade of experience and Iwakuma is 32.

Sign C Geovany Soto to a 1 year, $4 million contract.

Never been a Soto fan, but if they bring him in they bring him in. I would prefer less money if they do.

Sign SS Brendan Ryan to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract.

I don't see why they do this deal. I love Ryan's glove, but he's only had 129 hits in his last 667 ABs in Seattle. If he's looking for the league minnimum to come in here and be a utility infielder, then that's something else, but $1.5 million is way to much.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is an interesting article and a fun one this time of year, but a bit out there is some cases.

Tanaka would be interesting and I wouldn't be apposed to it. The Asian factor could come into play if the new ownership group is into the countryman thing like the old owner was with Ichiro.

Not a Porcello fan at all. In 2012 he had the highest average against and that is not a stat you want because it means they are making way too much good contact against you. Jackson is a good defender with speed. He isn't a huge upgrade, but we could, and have, done worse.

The Bourjous trade makes little sense if combined with the Jackson trade. You would have great outfield defense, but you would have less OF power than we currently have and with little OB upside. I would hate to give up Ramirez for a guy you could pick up as a free agent or possibly already have in Saunders.

Morban for Duda I would also pass on. Duda is a one dimensional hitter that you can get anywhere so why give up a good prospect in Morban for him?

I like and have purposed the Hart signing myself. The money seems a bit high, but could be accurate. I said 2/$12 which might be too low.

Smoak for Matusz might be worth it. Not a big Smoak fan, but Matusz was a big time prospect who hasn't had much luck in his career.

Sign 2B/OF Kelly Johnson to a 1 year, $3 million contract. - The price is right and he can play a few positions including probably 1B as well along with 3B if needed. He won't hit for average, but has good pop.

Re-sign RP Oliver Perez to a 2 year, $6 million contract. - He wasn't the same this year, but that contract wouldn't kill. Matt Thornton would be another option.

Sign SP Scott Baker to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract with performance incentives up to $4 million. - Tired of these pie in the sky moves.

Sign C Geovany Soto to a 1 year, $4 million contract. - Insert veteran catcher here. Whatever.

Sign SS Brendan Ryan to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract. - That is a fair price for a veteran utility guy.

Give spring training invitations to RP Mark Lowe, RP Ryan Rowland-Smith, and RP Shawn Camp.- Whatever times 3.

Acquire minor league 1B Brock Peterson and 1B Mauro Gomez. - Peterson is a local kid (29) who adds little. Gomez is 27 and also has little experience and value. Both would be depth...for Tacoma.

Good post though. It gets you thinking of all the moves we could make but won't.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
squash all the trades first and foremost. no chance we will get tanaka. I do like the baker signing as he was pretty good for the twinkies and showed at the end of the year he may be able to come all the way back from surgery. Hart? yes. Perez? yes. Soto? yes

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's will have to give up some quality pitching prospects to fix massive deficiencies all over the team. No way around it.

Trades are an essential part of success for any team, especially one as historically bad as the M's are and have been for years now.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of these moves are dumb...

-Don't have a problem with the idea of Tanaka. I think we need to add a SP anyways.
-The trade that would bring in Porcello and Jackson is a better deal for the Tiger IMO. Porcello and Jackson aren't special enough players for me to want to trade for.
-I don't have any problem with bringing Bourjos in. Of course it depends on what is traded for him.
-Duda....NO, would rather have Smoak play first base over Duda. And have Morban as a prospect
-Corey Hart- Like it. AZ had the same suggestion on his offseason plan.
-Matusz, had a good year last year. I would like to have him in the bullpen. Bullpen arm for a backup at first base.
-The rest of the ideas I could go either way on depending on what else happened.