• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking to buy new clubs

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't even know how to swing a club yet. There is no need for him to get fitted when he is still trying to work out the mechanics of a swing.

If he gets to a place where he wants to be better, he should get fitted, but not this early in learning how to play. Waste of time and money.
If you're going to be a carpenter and need to swing a hammer, do you start out banging nails with a brick hammer?, no, it will do you no good, you get the right hammer to help you become more accurate and complete your task without agonizing, Sure the brick hammer will work, but you'll never keep up with the rest of the swingers.
Learning bad habits while setting a foundation will not build your future in a solid manner

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to be a carpenter and need to swing a hammer, do you start out banging nails with a brick hammer?, no, it will do you no good, you get the right hammer to help you become more accurate and complete your task without agonizing, Sure the brick hammer will work, but you'll never keep up with the rest of the swingers.
Learning bad habits while setting a foundation will not build your future in a solid manner
That is a terrible analogy. I agree in using the right tool for the job but you don't have to go get the best hammer out there when you are just starting off...it just makes you look like an asshole who threw money at a hobby without having a clue what you are doing.

He should go buy a second hand set of forgiving irons (like Ping) and take lessons. He needs to learn to make contact consistently and the mechanics. Once he gets there and he wants to upgrade his clubs, he should consider getting fitted, but not to start up.

And buying fitted clubs doesn't do anything for mechanics when you don't even know how to swing a club. That's why you get lessons and THEN you can hone your tools.

Hand OP a copy of Ben Hogan's Five Lessons and a set of clubs before anything else

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a terrible analogy. I agree in using the right tool for the job but you don't have to go get the best hammer out there when you are just starting off...it just makes you look like an asshole who threw money at a hobby without having a clue what you are doing.

He should go buy a second hand set of forgiving irons (like Ping) and take lessons. He needs to learn to make contact consistently and the mechanics. Once he gets there and he wants to upgrade his clubs, he should consider getting fitted, but not to start up.

And buying fitted clubs doesn't do anything for mechanics when you don't even know how to swing a club. That's why you get lessons and THEN you can hone your tools.

i agree with this

why get fitted when you dont even have a consistent swing yet? The swing could change next week, and youve $1000 clubs that are now different than they were when you got fitted.

Lessons to find a consistent swing. Play a bunch of rounds with it, then get fitted.

We play with a guy who has $2000 in clubs and a personalized bag. And he fucking sucks. Worst golfer out of all of us. Never breaks 100.

Reactions: ill

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already stated he's been playing a couple of years, which means he has some idea of how to swing the club. For that reason, he should get a fitted set. It's obvious he's not making progress as he wants. A set of clubs without a fitting will only continue to allow him problems. A fitted set will help his ball strike. Being tall and using a set off the rack you will develop a bad swing or not strike the ball properly, a fitted set will adjust the club ( maybe longer, maybe shorter ) to his swing and height.
Why pay say 1000dollars for a set that will not help you and only continue your woes when you can pay 1200 for a fitted set that you will have for years and grow into? Sounds like disposable clubs that are costly. If you get fitted those measurements will be available for every set after.
Maybe his swing speed is low say under 90, then a graphite shaft ( a fitting will expose that ) will help him with control and distance, Maybe his speed is 100 plus, then a stiff shaft would be proper, Only during a fitting will these become noticeable and corrected.
The fitting helps you improve, helps you manipulate your clubs, and helps you choose the right club during a round.
There are more positives for a fitting than not.

My suggestions are based on his seriousness of the game. When I was young I had a pro fit me for a set ( I grew out of them ) but my measurements were there and they were able to track my progress ad recommend better conditions.

Getting an "off the rack " set is fine for someone who wants to learn but if you've invested 2 years and have serious thoughts it's time to move on, you already have the basics.

Arnold Palmer said "swing your swing", meaning no 2 players are alike.

Get fitted, take lessons, and practice.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already stated he's been playing a couple of years, which means he has some idea of how to swing the club. For that reason, he should get a fitted set. It's obvious he's not making progress as he wants. A set of clubs without a fitting will only continue to allow him problems. A fitted set will help his ball strike. Being tall and using a set off the rack you will develop a bad swing or not strike the ball properly, a fitted set will adjust the club ( maybe longer, maybe shorter ) to his swing and height.
Why pay say 1000dollars for a set that will not help you and only continue your woes when you can pay 1200 for a fitted set that you will have for years and grow into? Sounds like disposable clubs that are costly. If you get fitted those measurements will be available for every set after.
Maybe his swing speed is low say under 90, then a graphite shaft ( a fitting will expose that ) will help him with control and distance, Maybe his speed is 100 plus, then a stiff shaft would be proper, Only during a fitting will these become noticeable and corrected.
The fitting helps you improve, helps you manipulate your clubs, and helps you choose the right club during a round.
There are more positives for a fitting than not.

My suggestions are based on his seriousness of the game. When I was young I had a pro fit me for a set ( I grew out of them ) but my measurements were there and they were able to track my progress ad recommend better conditions.

Getting an "off the rack " set is fine for someone who wants to learn but if you've invested 2 years and have serious thoughts it's time to move on, you already have the basics.

Arnold Palmer said "swing your swing", meaning no 2 players are alike.

Get fitted, take lessons, and practice.
My suggestion is don't pay more than $1000 for a set of clubs.

And figuring out your swing speed is simple....don't need to go through a fitting for that.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My suggestion is don't pay more than $1000 for a set of clubs.

And figuring out your swing speed is simple....don't need to go through a fitting for that.
So you can tell someone's swing speed by what, watching them? I doubt it. That's like a cop saying you were 5 miles an hour over the speed limit visually.
A good set will cost over a thousand, most good clubs are 175$ per club.

Swing speed is a monitored process not just a once-over and that is only 1 facet of the fitting.

Nothing wrong with your suggestion after all we don't know him personally. Some people don't have the money, I get it. I was assuming his interest was serious, maybe it's not I don't know and if he isn't then your suggestion is unarguable.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you can tell someone's swing speed by what, watching them? I doubt it. That's like a cop saying you were 5 miles an hour over the speed limit visually.
A good set will cost over a thousand, most good clubs are 175$ per club.

Swing speed is a monitored process not just a once-over and that is only 1 facet of the fitting.

Nothing wrong with your suggestion after all we don't know him personally. Some people don't have the money, I get it. I was assuming his interest was serious, maybe it's not I don't know and if he isn't then your suggestion is unarguable.
Not what I said. I said it's easy to find out not that you can just tell by watching. Do you have difficulty reading basic sentences?

Dude is basically a hacker. He doesn't need fitted clubs.

I even posted something from a club fitter who said don't get fitted until you at a 15 handicap

I payed $850 for my RSi2 irons that I currently use and they are wonderful. He can get a lightly used set of clubs for much less than $1000. He doesn't need the best clubs out there right now.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not what I said. I said it's easy to find out not that you can just tell by watching. Do you have difficulty reading basic sentences?

Dude is basically a hacker. He doesn't need fitted clubs.

I even posted something from a club fitter who said don't get fitted until you at a 15 handicap

I payed $850 for my RSi2 irons that I currently use and they are wonderful. He can get a lightly used set of clubs for much less than $1000. He doesn't need the best clubs out there right now.
Getting fit will only improve your game, not being fit keeps you in the same stagnant game. The results are evident.
Posting something from a club-fitter is not gospel and waiting for a 15 handicap may never come. Most people shoot over 100, which is not close to 15. I knew people with 30 handicaps for a while and got fitted clubs they are still 20-something but their game improved.
I can't see any drawback from a fitting but I can see someone stuck at a certain level without a fitting

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting fit will only improve your game, not being fit keeps you in the same stagnant game. The results are evident.
Posting something from a club-fitter is not gospel and waiting for a 15 handicap may never come. Most people shoot over 100, which is not close to 15. I knew people with 30 handicaps for a while and got fitted clubs they are still 20-something but their game improved.
I can't see any drawback from a fitting but I can see someone stuck at a certain level without a fitting
No it doesn't. Get off your high horse.

Make consistent contact and learn touch around the greens, then get fitted once you have a clue what a fitting will do for you.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't. Get off your high horse.

Make consistent contact and learn touch around the greens, then get fitted once you have a clue what a fitting will do for you.
Contact with a 2-degree adjustment is different than a 3-degree adjustment and both different than off the rack

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contact with a 2-degree adjustment is different than a 3-degree adjustment and both different than off the rack
And he won't know the fucking difference at this point in his game.

If you or I went and got fitted, we'd be able to feel it and see a difference to his game.

You want him to top the ball 3 times through the rough with fancy fitted clubs and triple bogey every hole and I don't see the point.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will never get good unless you get clubs that work for you. Fitting does not cost much and you will be much happier and enjoy the game so much more with clubs that work best for you. If you are just out to hack around and have fun that's OK too.
Finally something Monte and I agree on.

Getting fitted makes a huge difference if you are regularly shooting in the 90s or better.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally something Monte and I agree on.

Getting fitted makes a huge difference if you are regularly shooting in the 90s or better.
I agree with this.

but if you are in the 100s, don't get fitted yet.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say take some lessons first and figure out what your swing type is or as close to it as possible THEN go get fitted for clubs!

Unless you have clubs that work for you then you never will become any good... You don't want your clubs to be too long or too short, stiff shaft or relaxed.

I started to play better when I took the local pro's clubs (he was just a bit shorter than I am and pretty much the same swing and I started to play better with those set of clubs then my other ones. Now I've never gotten fitted (I should) but I don't play enough but I really think people who truly are serious about the game should get fitted

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us suck at golf and will always suck at golf, no matter how expensive our clubs are. I will never pay for a lesson, will never get fitted, and will never ever buy a new set of clubs.

That's me, your opinions will vary, obviously

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has a consistent swing for more than a round or two?

The pros swing coaches travel with them and continually make adjustments.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP... go to a store or Ebay, cop clubs that rated "best best best" 10 years ago - new or used - cheap...
then, get thee to a range... hit bookoo buckets o balls... I promise your game will improve.

As for lessons, this is the single, simple key to success: KEEP YOUR FUCKING HEAD DOWN!
yer welcome, have a good day.

:yo:

Reactions: ill

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this.

but if you are in the 100s, don't get fitted yet.
Agreed. You don't understand swing mechanics if you shoot in the 100s; maybe you don't even want to

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. You don't understand swing mechanics if you shoot in the 100s; maybe you don't even want to
That's not true. You may very well understand swing mechanics and have a 70% gir . Your problem may just be putting. Most people that shoot over 90 generally have more than 2 putts a hole. I'll bet most who shoot 95 or better have 0ver 40 putts a round.
I know people who can get to the green and 3 putt, which costs them dearly.
Limiting your putts is essential to a good card if you have a good GIR percentage

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. You may very well understand swing mechanics and have a 70% gir . Your problem may just be putting. Most people that shoot over 90 generally have more than 2 putts a hole. I'll bet most who shoot 95 or better have 0ver 40 putts a round.
I know people who can get to the green and 3 putt, which costs them dearly.
Limiting your putts is essential to a good card if you have a good GIR percentage
Which do you think OP is?

Because I bet he hits 1 out of 3 shots clean.

I don't consider that "consistent".