• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking at the Seahawks cap space.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've come to the conclusion that the Seahawks will have to cut a big name to sign Wilson a extension.

Seattle Seahawks Salary Cap - Over the Cap

So rounding numbers off, the cap is 143 million and the Seahawks have on the books 129 million. Which leaves 14 million minus the cost of the draft (4 million?) plus a 2 million backup fund for having to add players during the season, due to injuries.
Yikes! That doesn't sound like enough to sign both Wilson and Wagner to extensions. Heck it doesn't seem like enough to sign Wilson to a extension. So I guessing they let Wagner play on his present contract and late in the season sign him to a extension ( like they did KJ Wright). So either they sign a extension with Wilson that hits 2015 very lightly ( like 8 million) or someone gets cut, because that extension for Wilson is going to happen.
I think someone getting cut. The main candidates are;

Okung for $5 million
Mebane for $5.5
McDaniels $3. million
Unger at 4.5 after june 1st

IMO the most likely will be McDaniels and Unger. I don't see them cutting the starting LT and I hope they don't cut Mebane, he is still performing. Unger has become injury prone and you can find a center outside of a first round pick and McDaniels is not as important as Mebane.

I guess I'm going to quit kicking tires in FA, fun as it is, because the cap space just isn't there.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know if those numbers include the release of Miller? Mebane is probably the most likely candidate. But they could probably receive a draft pick(s) for him. Remember too that signing bonuses can be prorated for up to 5 years, and I would expect bot Wags and Wilson to get 5+ year contracts.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has nearly $5 million roll over from 2014, so their cap is still around $20 million for this season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know if those numbers include the release of Miller? Mebane is probably the most likely candidate. But they could probably receive a draft pick(s) for him. Remember too that signing bonuses can be prorated for up to 5 years, and I would expect bot Wags and Wilson to get 5+ year contracts.
Yes it includes Releasing Miller. As for signing bonuses, I still think the space is lean.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting take on Unger.

I heard Mebanes injury was pretty significant.
Okung is another that can't stay healthy.

Whatever we don't know, I'm sure JS/PC have it all handled.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has nearly $5 million roll over from 2014, so their cap is still around $20 million for this season.

I think your right, but minus the draft and back up fund and it's a lot less. Not sure even with signing bonuses prorated that a cut won't happen. I'm betting one will happen, so forget FA signings other then ultra cheap ones. It's going to about the draft this off season, lots of picks. So some gems need to be found. The Seahawks have had a couple disappointing drafts last two years, this year their picks need to shine.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting take on Unger.

I heard Mebanes injury was pretty significant.
Okung is another that can't stay healthy.

Whatever we don't know, I'm sure JS/PC have it all handled.
Well they've done a good job, but they are entering a period of tough choices. Mostly pointing out that we shouldn't expect any FAs signings and brace yourself for a big name to be cut.

Ukung may have problems staying healthy, but I don't think the Seahawks want to go into the draft picking 31st and needing a LT.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is we went hard after Maxwell. If that is true, I'm sure JS has a plan with a certain amount of flexibility in it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping your right Uhsplit, you probably are, but looking at the cap, surely it includes a big name cut. Maybe more then one.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your right, but minus the draft and back up fund and it's a lot less. Not sure even with signing bonuses prorated that a cut won't happen. I'm betting one will happen, so forget FA signings other then ultra cheap ones. It's going to about the draft this off season, lots of picks. So some gems need to be found. The Seahawks have had a couple disappointing drafts last two years, this year their picks need to shine.

The $20 million cap number already has the $4.4 million draft pool taken out - otherwise it's $25 million. Granted the money needed for the draft changes if our picks change.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The $20 million cap number already has the $4.4 million draft pool taken out - otherwise it's $25 million. Granted the money needed for the draft changes if our picks change.

You have a link for this, because looking at cap numbers, you see what is on the books $129 million, they don't mention roll over $ or I'm not looking well enough, so you got to add that, but where do you get $20 million including the draft?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt they cut Unger. He and Okung are the only competent offensive linemen on the Seahawks roster. The remainder would be on the bench on a lot of other teams. When healthy, Unger is one of the better starting centers in the league, so cutting him at what is a rather reasonable price would be a huge mistake.

Mebane on the other hand is 30 and coming off of a season ending injury. When healthy he's a good player, but the Seahawks would save $5m cutting him and they still made the superbowl without him, so that is a possibility there.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Unger and Okung, the Seahawks line is mediocre at best. The Seahawks have replacement level players at LG, RG and RT. We don't need to make that RT, RG, LG and C.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson and wagers new deals will be extensions, so their salary will still be their rookie contract plus the prorated portion of the huge up front signing bonuses they will receive. The real bad cap hit from their big new deals will not haunt us for a couple seasons.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson and wagers new deals will be extensions, so their salary will still be their rookie contract plus the prorated portion of the huge up front signing bonuses they will receive. The real bad cap hit from their big new deals will not haunt us for a couple seasons.
Yes prorated, but Wilsons cap hit at the moment is slightly less then 1.7 million. So lets say he signs for a cap hit like Andy Daltons ( and we all know it will be bigger) With prorated cap hit and all it's still almost 10 million in the first year and then goes up from there.
I'm most likely worrying to much, I sure the front office has figured out, but I'm not looking for any FA signiings that amount to squat.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt they cut Unger. He and Okung are the only competent offensive linemen on the Seahawks roster. The remainder would be on the bench on a lot of other teams. When healthy, Unger is one of the better starting centers in the league, so cutting him at what is a rather reasonable price would be a huge mistake.

Mebane on the other hand is 30 and coming off of a season ending injury. When healthy he's a good player, but the Seahawks would save $5m cutting him and they still made the superbowl without him, so that is a possibility there.
Not to sure about Unger, last two years has been injury filled and they seem high on the young kid that filled in for him and good centers can be found in the 2nd or third round IMO. You might be right about Mebane, but Carrol sure seemed to think he special last year, so....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldnt shock me to see either Mebane or McDaniel cut but they would have to have a backup plan prior. That position doesnt have a ton of depth right now with Williams possibly retiring and Hill recovering from an injury.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes prorated, but Wilsons cap hit at the moment is slightly less then 1.7 million. So lets say he signs for a cap hit like Andy Daltons ( and we all know it will be bigger) With prorated cap hit and all it's still almost 10 million in the first year and then goes up from there.
Well I think it would depend on the size of the signing bonus. That's really the only part that will affect the 2015 cap number, right? If his new contract ends up being "out of the box" like has been speculated with a fully guaranteed element, it may not include a very sizeable bonus.

After 5 seasons of PC & JS, the closest thing we have to a decision that appeared to compromise the team's cap position was Harvin and they quickly bit the bullet on that to move on as quick as possible. I gotta think they have a plan in hand to get deals done for Wagner and RW.