• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions release wrong Quin (n)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They release Glover not Bob

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions release three players

Allen Park, Mich. – The Detroit Lions announced today that they have released the following players:

WR Bruce Ellington

LB Nicholas Grigsby

S Glover Quin

STATEMENT FROM LIONS EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT AND GENERAL MANAGER BOB QUINN

“We thank Glover for his countless contributions to the Detroit Lions during his six seasons with our team. Since joining the organization in 2013, Glover exemplified everything it means to be a true professional in this league – as both a competitor on the field and a leading voice in the community. Coach Patricia and I have the utmost respect for him as a man and player, and we wish him nothing but the very best in the future.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bob" Quinn you're next in line

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TWENTYMAN: Where Lions stand at safety following Quin release

Diggs and Walker are now likely to be the leading candidates to start in 2019.

Diggs put together the most complete season of his career in 2018, recording an interception on the very first and very last defensive plays of the season. He was the only defensive back in the NFL to finish last season with at least 75 tackles, three interceptions, three tackles for loss and a pick-six.

Over the past two years, he is one of only two defensive backs in the NFL to total at least 130 tackles, eight tackles for loss, six interceptions and a pick-six.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TWENTYMAN: Where Lions stand at safety following Quin release

Walker's snaps increased steadily throughout the course of his rookie season, and he became an important component of some of Detroit’s sub packages.

His overall grade from Pro Football Focus ranked in the top 16 among all of the league’s safeties. He finished with 21 tackles and an interception in 267 snaps.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glover Quin was by far one of the best FA signings the Lions ever made. His time in Detroit will long be remembered by many a fan whether it be his play on the field or the community service outreach he provided for the local Detroit area.

You sir, Glover Quin, have been a class act and will be greatly missed. Thank you for all that you have given to Lions and the surrounding community.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster and salary cap impact of the Lions releasing Glover Quin

In free agency, they could possibly target a high-profile safety, such as Earl Thomas, Landon Collins, Adrian Amos, Tyrann Mathieu, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or Lamarcus Joyner, all of whom will bring experience and above-average play, but will also most likely carry a hefty price tag.

In the NFL Draft, keep an eye on top talent like Deionte Thompson (Alabama), Nasir Adderly (Deleware), Juan Thornhill (Virginia) and Chauncy Gardner-Johnson (Florida), all of which are capable of playing the single-high position as well as other spots in the secondary.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster and salary cap impact of the Lions releasing Glover Quin

In free agency, they could possibly target a high-profile safety, such as Earl Thomas, Landon Collins, Adrian Amos, Tyrann Mathieu, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or Lamarcus Joyner, all of whom will bring experience and above-average play, but will also most likely carry a hefty price tag.

In the NFL Draft, keep an eye on top talent like Deionte Thompson (Alabama), Nasir Adderly (Deleware), Juan Thornhill (Virginia) and Chauncy Gardner-Johnson (Florida), all of which are capable of playing the single-high position as well as other spots in the secondary.

If Mathews can stay healthy that would be interesting but we need someone more like ET.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landon Collins is the only vet I'd like to see money spent on in the secondary.

So long as Don Carey isn't in line to play. Then I'll be fine with anyone getting money. Which is what I see happening. Randoms being signed, little to no impact. Like GQ this past season.

Bruce Ellington playing and starting made so little sense to me. But Quinn sabotaged his offense so he would get rid of JBC. Only thing that made sense. Impossible that anyone felt he was giving the team more of a chance to win. I quit watching games when superior talent was watching on the sidelines while some small, past his prime dude that doesn't even know the playbook is starting.

My optimism couldn't be lower. Even if these cuts make perfect sense. This is the least talented the Lions roster has been in 9-10 years imo. Not capable of competitive.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mathews can stay healthy that would be interesting but we need someone more like ET.

He's already had two season ending ACL's when he was at Arizona Cardinals. He rebounded last year after being cut and then signing with Houston but I'd pass on his high risk at this point.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't draft Bama S Thompson no matter what from that post above (#8) that was posted by me yesterday.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope like hell BQ doesn't spend big $$$ on a FA Safety.

Hell no to Thomas. Too much $$$ and injury risk but when he's healthy he's one of the best.

I wouldn't sign Collins either. He's good as a box safety that can blitz, play the run, cover very shallow zones but no way I'd want him as Two Deep Safety hoping someone doesn't torch his ass. (happens to all DB's, I know, but he wasn't that great in coverage at Bama either).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My optimism couldn't be lower. Even if these cuts make perfect sense. This is the least talented the Lions roster has been in 9-10 years imo. Not capable of competitive.

which is exactly why they shouldn't be spending big $$$ on FA other than hoping for a DE like Trey Flowers or similar in traits to him.

This team still needs 2 if not 3 very good drafts (I've been saying this since he first come in 2016) and at least 1 top tier FA DE/Edge Rusher before they dole out dinero for other positions, imo. No big $$$ OG, WR , TE.

They will pretty much be forced to spend some money on aother temporary CB 2 (unless that dipshit BQ continues with Lawson as CB 2) for a year or two (maybe like what Alford got from Zona, 3 years and only 8.950M in guaranteed money) but then you have to hope BQ can get it right on drafting a CB this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I should have elaborated on this a little more as to why I'm more interested in saving that money, like other teams who are not in position to contend right now and lack the cap space to aggressively change the team in just one FA class.

We're not just a Safety away from contending for a playoff slot, imo. If we were then it would be worth the risk.

We currently don't have a;

No. 1 RG...……. and there isn't one in FA currently viewed as a No.1 There exists a lot of mediocre RG's that wouldn't be worth the money spent and probably no better than Wiggins. You draft a starting RG even if it means 2nd round.

No.1 and No.2 TE ............and to be quite honest we really don't have a worthwhile No.3/No.4 either on the roster. Once again you need to draft the No.1 TE and hopefully sign the No.2 on a short term contract and maybe even draft a possible future No.2 in that 5th/6th round to develop.

No. 2 RB/No.3 RB......... Riddick is neither of those. He has a lot of receptions over the last few years but he has to have space to function as a pass catching RB and he needs space to be a runner as a RB. He has minimal burst and greatly lacks vision.

No.1 Edge Rusher/DE and a No.2 Edge Rusher/DE ..... we currently have Hand who is more 6-tech down to 3-tech with some sprinkled in 2, 1, 0-tech. Even if re-sign Okwara on that RFA 2nd tender you still need a draft prospect to develop as a 1-2 punch behind Flowers.

No.2 CB.... not to mention a quality backup for a No./No.2 CB...…. Lawson is neither of those and there doesn't exist a current player on the roster who is right now. (they seem to favor Mike Ford as a developmental possibility). Need to draft one No.2 CB and possibly two plus sign a FA as a temporary No.2

No.1 WILL LB...……… Christian Jones is merely adequate and I'm being overly generous in that comment. Nor is there any suitable coverage LB as a depth behind Jones which is honestly what he really is (suitable for an emergency). Need to draft two coverage LB. It's a crappy list of FA WILL LB and if they were good they'd be costly but might be able to do that.

No.3 Safety...…. one who is better at coverage but yet still more than adequate in run support and blitz packages. Need to draft one.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too many needs and shitty FA's that will cost too much considering we're not even close to being contender's, on paper, at this time.

Spend whatever the $$$$ needed to attempt to sign Flowers.

Spend more than you'd like to sign the following positions because you'd pretty much have to in order to get a quality temporary NO.2 CB and No.2 TE and let that be your splurge for this year while saving a good bit for next years FA.

CB Kareem Jackson or if there's another CB similar to him who has been a decent No.2 and on a short contract. It might cost 6-7.5M for a 2-3 year contract (Alford avg. 7.5 per yr but was an easy out after year 1) but hoping your drafted No.2 CB develops this year to full-time starter immediately next year or by mid-way next year.

TE same as above. I have a conspiracy theory that if BQ signs TE Jared Cook to a 3 year contract that's easy to get out of after year one with little dead money then Hockenson becomes a priority in first round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions released FS Glover Quin.
The Lions also parted ways with WR Bruce Ellington and LB Nicholas Grigsby. Cutting Quin was a cost-saving move for Detroit as his release will free up $6.25 million in cap space while leaving behind $1.7 million in dead money. The 33-year-old had been a mainstay in Detroit's secondary, even earning All-Pro recognition during his breakout 2014 campaign. He led the league with a career-high seven interceptions that year. Despite his age and declining productivity—he earned PFF's No. 42 safety grade out of 89 qualifiers last year—the veteran DB shouldn't take long to resurface.

Related:
Source: detroitlions.com
Feb 15, 2019, 12:51 PM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

let that be your splurge for this year while saving a good bit for next years FA.

new CBA negotiations begin in March 2021 and according to the previous CBA all teams had to spend remaining cash with no rollover in last year prior to new CBA. So, they have to spend all that remaining cash during new league year 2020.

My comments in the two posts above were ill-advised and uninformed so spend away.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new CBA negotiations begin in March 2021 and according to the previous CBA all teams had to spend remaining cash with no rollover in last year prior to new CBA. So, they have to spend all that remaining cash during new league year 2020.

My comments in the two posts above were ill-advised and uninformed so spend away.

Interesting to "make teams spend cash". Kind of strange.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glover Quin: I tried to get Detroit Lions to release me last offseason

Glover Quin was so sure that his time in Detroit was coming to an end after the Lions hired Matt Patricia that the Pro Bowl safety said in a new podcast that he actually tried to get the team to release him last offseason.

"I actually tried to get out of my contract going into the season," Quin said in an episode of The Pride Podcast posted Thursday. "Cause I just, like I said, I knew it was going to get to this point. I could see it. I knew it was going to happen. I understand the business of football and I knew we were going to get to this point so I was just trying to stop it before it even got started."

Quin, one of the NFL's leading ironmen with 148 consecutive starts, was released by the Lions last Friday after six seasons with the team.

"It wasn’t necessarily (I was) considering retirement, although I did think about it a little bit cause I had some other things going on," Quin said. "But I was really contemplating, like, whether I wanted to come back to Detroit cause I knew that with the new coaches, with all that stuff, I knew they were going in a different direction. And for the last few years, the way things had been, the way the organization was, the way it kind of had fit, I kind of had felt like, 'OK, boom, they just got rid of Coach (Jim) Caldwell, they’re (about) to go in a totally different direction. I really don’t want to have to start over again in another different direction in Detroit.' I kind of felt like, ‘OK, I’ve done what I can do. They’re going to start with a new coach, let them start fresh with another player and let me go.’"

BB_72; So much more in this article. keep reading if you've got 5 minutes to spare