• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Nation: Grading our players

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really good to see you back Gandy

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions are looking to upgrade their offensive line after ranking 28th in rushing and allowing 45 sacks in 2014. Center Dominic Raiola won't return, and 2014 third-round pick Travis Swanson is his presumed replacement. The Lions have had a revolving door at right tackle the past two years, and left guard Rob Sims, 31, is set to become a free agent.

Plus, Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said last week that left tackle Riley Reiff isn't "locked in" at his position, so there could be shuffling everywhere except right guard with Larry Warford.

Mayhew also said at the combine he likes versatile offensive linemen, something that paid off with Swanson playing a few games at right guard last year and Garrett Reynolds having ability to play guard and tackle.

"D.J. Humphries (from Florida) would be probably the best pure left tackle, a natural left tackle there at that point," Kiper said. "I don't think Andrus Peat will be there out of Stanford. But I do think Collins would be a guy who provides you the kind of versatility that you're talking about there. He can pretty much play four positions."

LSU's Collins would give Lions 'great versatility'

JUST WANTED TO CHEER YOU UP SOME, DR. EVIL-ER :thumb:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Collins' upgrade over Reiff is marginal, if any. Now, at LG I feel he would fit best.

I will say with having Reiff and Swanson already in the mix. They can possibly pick BPA at C/LG/LT. Got damn it has been along time since we have seen any resemblance of this in Allen Park.
I still want whether it be late round or UDFA. A replacement for Garrett Reynolds. Not a fan having him as a backup.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, if the possibility arose that La'el Collins was available at #23 and he became the draft pick, then I don't see Collins moving into the LT spot over Reiff either. He might very well get some snaps there in training camp on a let's see what the kid has to offer but outside of that scenario, I agree with your assessment in that it's marginal at best as an upgrade over Reiff at LT.

100% agree with you on Reynolds. This is why I lean to your pick of Ali Marpet as a possibility in the 3rd-4th round as he's another OL who should provide some versatility.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins would be an upgrade for us at LG or RT. He'd be a great pick @ 23, imo. Versatile and powerful lineman.

I think Marpet in the 4th or 5th would also be a great addition for us...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most scouts have projected Collins inside at LG. Some teams out there, say SanDiego or Cleveland may see him more as a RT, according to some speculative articles.

I would absolutely love to Collins as our LG. I was talking about him back in January as a possible candidate for us at #23

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You spoke of Collins? I really can't forget the bromance early on. We all get locked on a guy from time to time. I have been crushing on Marpet since seeing him in practice in Mobile. His footwork and technique for a small school kid amazed me. Someone gets a guy who will start on the interior but could backup both tackles also.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You spoke of Collins? I really can't forget the bromance early on. We all get locked on a guy from time to time. I have been crushing on Marpet since seeing him in practice in Mobile. His footwork and technique for a small school kid amazed me. Someone gets a guy who will start on the interior but could backup both tackles also.

if you're questioning whether I spoke of Collins early on, then the answer is yes. you and I had some convo's about him back in October/November on prospects to watch out for. Right along with Marcus Peters, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Benardrick McKinney, Cody Prewitt, Josh Shaw and a few others. not stealing your glory man. :suds:

I still like your pick of Marpet. I knew nothing about him until you mentioned him outside of Senior Bowl comments after the fact.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total smartass there blue...I knew you mentioned him during season. I never spoke or looked at him until you said something. No thunder here. I'd be happy with Collins as first pick. Means Suh stayed in town and that a huge void on OL was filled with impact player.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I need to do a :L..... damn old turd and a dipsh*t, I am. :pound:

dafuq... I retire until later on.... much later on

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Sherff over Collins.

Have two of those big ole corn fed Iowa boys on the left side of the line. Beastly.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Sherff over Collins.

Have two of those big ole corn fed Iowa boys on the left side of the line. Beastly.
Well duh, but Sherff may be the 1st OL selected... Can't imagine he'll still be there at #23 for us.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well duh, but Sherff may be the 1st OL selected... Can't imagine he'll still be there at #23 for us.

That is what they said about Reiff until he went to the combine and had "short arms" :bolt::bolt:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherff already went through the combine, though, and is still considered by many analysts to be the top OL in the draft, as far as I know, anyways.

I'd be thrilled if he was there for us at #23, though, no doubt about it.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Lions going to look at any FA running backs now that Bush is gone? Doesn't look like the draft is filled with top tier RBs, but you might want to look SC's Buck Allen.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Lions going to look at any FA running backs now that Bush is gone? Doesn't look like the draft is filled with top tier RBs, but you might want to look SC's Buck Allen.
I hope we do. Even if it's just for a RB3 or RB4, there's some good options out there that would make us better on the cheap. Roy Helu would be a guy I'd love to see brought in to add depth. He's not a starter, but he's a good-sized back with a pretty good career yards-per-carry average and great receiving ability for a RB. He put up some decent production (5.4 yards per carry, 11.4 yards per reception) as a back-up for Washington last season. With veteran FA RBs generally signing team-friendly deals, he's a guy who makes a lot of sense for us to add in with Bell and Riddick. Going with a cheap FA at the position doesn't negatively impact us if we draft a RB early, also...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I like Allen quite a bit as a mid-round prospect. He's a well-rounded back with good size and a lot going for him. I've read a lot about questionable vision and a lack of power running style for his size, and I think those two thing are all that are keeping him from being a 2nd round RB, imo...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going with a cheap FA at the position doesn't negatively impact us if we draft a RB early, also...

very true on that statement, plus if the Lions should draft a so-called bell-cow/3-down RB this year and he turns into a very productive back/projects well into the future, it would be pretty easy to dump Bell after the 2015 season with a 2.5M in cap savings for 2016

I always liked Helu as that change of pace/receiver type back