• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions hire...

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's a very interesting observation. Makes me think...you know what makes sense? This hire is somewhat of a reaction to the manic Schwartz style. They wanted the opposite. They got him.

I don't like Caldwell, but I have to give him that...he sure isn't Schwartz. Maybe he will be the right match for those players, who knows.

The lions were easily in control of this division until they started beating themselves. Suh is growing up, Farrely is dominant with him. Keeping drives alive with stupid penalties cost them this division.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its also about control, and the Fords have proven to be a bit off at times. I think Wis went where he would also have the most upside, with less pressure. It wont take much in Tenn to show improvement, and they have some pieces.

Wis just says he immediately hit it off with the GM, the extra million he is getting in Tennessee is besides the point, pretty sure detroit would have ponied* up the extra cash, but an immediate cohesion with the front office made him not even want to go back for a counter offer.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing your 10-6 HC and replacing him with a guy from another country is the very definition of panic.

You're highly misinformed. Those who follow the team KNEW Lovie was on an extremely short leash BEFORE the 2012 season started. It would have taken a deep playoff run for him to remain as coach.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're highly misinformed. Those who follow the team KNEW Lovie was on an extremely short leash BEFORE the 2012 season started. It would have taken a deep playoff run for him to remain as coach.

it was either paying him 10 million to not coach or 5 million not to coach.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't care. You're just trying to convince yourself and imo it makes your GM look even dumber if Coach Canada really was his 1st choice. I seem to remember Mike McCoy choosing SD over the Bears. Who cares. I don't think any less of you as a person because you support a clown coach that's just team loyalty. I get it.

:suds:

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care. You're just trying to convince yourself and imo it makes your GM look even dumber if Coach Canada really was his 1st choice. I seem to remember Mike McCoy choosing SD over the Bears. Who cares. I don't think any less of you as a person because you support a clown coach that's just team loyalty. I get it.

No, you dont get it- AT ALL. We cant predict future results. That said, ONE MORE TIME- I never indicated he cant, or wont work out. My points revolve around execution of a plan that ultimately gets who you want vs hiring someone else because time is an issue, I.e. that would be someone you settled for. That is far from ideal, and is a reason for concern at this time.

BTW- In order to choose one organization over another, that would have meant Mccoy fielded offers from both SD and CHI. He was NOT offered the Bears job. Youve dug deeper into the font of misinformation with every reply. Your attempts to equalize the two scenarios through a combination of bad info and lack of comprehension isnt working.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I didn't like the Trestman hire, but you are actually wrong. McCoy was not Emery's first choice. And whatever my thoughts on Trestman are/were, he isn't a "clown coach." That's a clownish thing to even say.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny as hell you're posting this argument here when you had one of the best retorts to a fellow Lion's fan over on your Lion's board:

Detroit fan:

Originally Posted by black_magic View Post

"Listen guys, its already happened. No need to continue to rip our team. It wasn't a good hire, but it is what it is. We should discuss how we can get better from here.

RobBase retort:

Fire Caldwell"

Too funny RobBase...

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, this may turn into a good hire for the Lions. The Lions are stacked with talent and Caldwell is most likely an improvement over Schwartz. But I do agree with BLH... He wasn't the first choice for the Lions and from afar it does look like a hasty hire.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter what you think you remember. YOU'RE WRONG.

The Bears interviewed both McCoy and Trestman. Then, decided to offer Trestman instead of McCoy. It was actually the other way around.

I mean, you keep trying to level the playing field with this; "I get it. It's team loyalty" or "It doesn't matter. Both front offices suck." bull shit.

Speak for yourself. Yeah, your front office sucks. However, our GM has done some great things so far, and most believe the Trestman hiring was one of them. If you're so narrow minded to believe he was soley hired for his success in Canada, you really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. The guy turned Rich Gannon into a Super Bowl and MVP candidate QB in Oakland as an offensive coordinator. He was MORE than qualified for an NFL job. Are you serious?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the Trestman hire, but you are actually wrong. McCoy was not Emery's first choice. And whatever my thoughts on Trestman are/were, he isn't a "clown coach." That's a clownish thing to even say.

I think Emery wanted a coach that wouldnt want the final decisions on players or the ability to be a part time GM. He also probably thought it was a big move from canada to being a head coach in the nfl and emery wanted a big voice on the assistant coaches front.

I dont think Trestman brought anyone from his canada staff to work with him down here. I most probably am wrong, but they might have done better if Trestman did bring some of his defensive guys that had an idea of what trestman wanted. We all saw what happened when Lovie brought his buddies, the ride gets rough for the head coach, the good coaches we had bolt over friendship not business.

I just question Trestman over one thing, thats thinking he needs a top paid quarterback to run his system. I think he could mold a quarterback like backflip boy did in seattle. I dont know when the great offense is gonna cost Trestman his job if the defense does not improve greatly.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the defense only needs to be a middle of the road defense to make serious runs at the division and in the playoffs. The offense will be better than this year, coming out of the gates. The defense just needs to be able get a few stops a game, or to force more field goals, and stop the run better. If they can 15th to 20th on the defensive ranking, they are a different team all together.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the defense only needs to be a middle of the road defense to make serious runs at the division and in the playoffs. The offense will be better than this year, coming out of the gates. The defense just needs to be able get a few stops a game, or to force more field goals, and stop the run better. If they can 15th to 20th on the defensive ranking, they are a different team all together.

Agreed completely. Shoring up ST's would be nice, too.