• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Fanbase

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned in the Reggie Bush thread, I'm throwing in with the Lions as my NFC team. My Dad and I have been pulling for you guys since the worst of it and then especially when Jim made it up there and especially when he didn't take shit from that asshole in San Francisco.

Question for you guys close to what's happening: What is the buzz like among the fanbase? Major excitement or enthusiasm tempered with skepticism?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50/50 it seems for most. Some drink kool-aid by the gallons. I am excited as always for new season. Bush and Quinn additions I love. Lack of depth/ expierence at DE and 60% new OL make me nervous.
Gym Shorts and Mayhew IMO have drafted this year for job security. Hope it gels quickly. New coaches to me mean more down seasons.
Hammer I am sure you will get mix bag of replies from our base. Truly there is no such thing as fair weather fan with the Lions. Most stay passionate, hell you have to or drink shit tons of Pepto!!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There doesnt seem to be a whole ton of support for Schwartz anymore. (Myself not included). That should change however when 10-6 follows 4-12 rather than the other way around. Most fans I speak with(on this board and in real life) seem to be pretty pleased with the Free Agent haul, the Ansah pick and the rest of the draft. Probably the most support I've seen/heard since the Suh draft. Personally, I'm most excited for a sans-Avril Dline and a running back with hands and speed.(Peterman being gone is also a huge bonus) Best was huge for the offense and expect the same impact from Reggie. Hanson being gone worries me, as his replacement options are the worst kicker in the NFL and some Euro. But when the place kicker is your biggest concern, things definitely are positive coming off a dismal near worst case scenario season.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only speak for myself (actually I could speak for smitty, but he'd raise hell).

This is the most excited I've been for a Lions team since Jimbo got here. Reason: The Lions, for the first time, have a chance to have NFL quality DEs on the field.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for you guys close to what's happening: What is the buzz like among the fanbase? Major excitement or enthusiasm tempered with skepticism?

There are really only 2 types of Lions fans and it's pretty much split down the middle.

1) Eternally pessimistic aka the "Same old Lions club": usually these fans are about 40-45 years old and older. No matter what the Lions do, who they draft, who they hire, who they fire, who they scout, it's all a huge fucking mistake. These fans want to replace Matthew Stafford every other week, cut Suh every time the media shits on him, and suggests the Lions trade Calvin Johnson for multiple draft picks every single fucking off-season. Sometimes these same fans claim to be "Lions free" after swearing to God they've have watched their last Lions game about 8 times a year. These fans make up of at least 50% of the fan base.

2) Eternally optimistic aka the "Lathered in Honolulu Blue and Silver buttered corn bread" fans. Every year the Lions are going 10-6 or better no matter who's coaching, or who's on the roster. These fans make up about 40% of the fan base.

There is a small % of fans who flip-flop between these two extremes weekly. All in all however, you honestly will not find a more overall loyal fan base. It took what, 7 seasons of Matt Millen to break the sell out record at Ford Field? We love our Lions, win or lose (even 0-16). When the Lions are beating ass, there isn't a louder stadium in the NFL.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned in the Reggie Bush thread, I'm throwing in with the Lions as my NFC team. My Dad and I have been pulling for you guys since the worst of it and then especially when Jim made it up there and especially when he didn't take shit from that asshole in San Francisco.

For me it's the latter....Every year is enthusiasm tempered with Skepticism.....Granted I'm one of the older ones and have seen this song and dance for too many years.....Still won't change the fact I watch every game even the 0-16 year.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason that year so there was kool-aid all over the place just prior to week 1.....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only speak for myself (actually I could speak for smitty, but he'd raise hell).

This is the most excited I've been for a Lions team since Jimbo got here. Reason: The Lions, for the first time, have a chance to have NFL quality DEs on the field.

Its like your actually inside my brain sometimes. And you never take off your damned shoes!

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have been thinking about Japanese cuisine.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it true that when KVB retired, the average age of the Lions fell 5 years?

Or did he just look that old?

Sorry KVB. Thanks for changing the culture of the Lions lockerroom. You were necessary.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm optimistic that we can make the playoffs, but last year was sure a huge step back, imo.

If last year was more of a fluke and 2011 was the norm, then we're contenders. If it's the other way around then we still need some major parts on the roster.

I like where the team is at right now, lots of young talent, but it's a matter of how fast they get up to NFL speed.

Definitely a make-or-break year for Schwartz...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to expect this year, as the Lions are going to have a lot of new starters. I think they will be competitive, but will have some struggles early on the OL, while they get acclimated to one another and the new guys gain some experience.

Defense will be what I am most interested in watching. Hopefully Slay will shore up the CB position opposite Houston and the addition of Quin and a healthy Delmas will turn our secondary from poor to possibly a strength. Our OLB scare the hell out of me and our DE position scares the hell out of me. At least with the DE position -- they have some potentially really good players. Ansah and Taylor are physical freaks. No clue what to expect from Jason Jones or Willie Young in expanded roles.

Personally -- I think both the 10-6 season and the 4-12 season were flukes -- I think Detroit falls somewhere in the middle of those two -- in the 7-9/8-8 range. That is pretty much what I expect to see this year too, unless some of the draft picks play really well or the OL is much better than most expect it to be.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustME... truthfully you scared the hell out of me. After listening to you for quite some time. I can almost see some Kool Aid in those thoughts. Not that they are all sunbeams by no means.
To clarify better, you really never mix pessimism and optimism in same post. So it is sugar free kool aid.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense will be what I am most interested in watching. Hopefully Slay will shore up the CB position opposite Houston and the addition of Quin and a healthy Delmas will turn our secondary from poor to possibly a strength. Our OLB scare the hell out of me and our DE position scares the hell out of me. At least with the DE position -- they have some potentially really good players. Ansah and Taylor are physical freaks. No clue what to expect from Jason Jones or Willie Young in expanded roles..

Great thoughts MikeD. Staying healthy is always key. Slay steps up and if one other guy can also I feel the OLB weakness will be small. Being able to play nickel and dime with only Tulloch and Levy on the field almost 50% of snaps.
Healthy Fairley and Suh demanding double teams make for easy(ier) transitions for Ansah and Taylor. IMO Jones and Ansah start.
Your right, it seems weird to talk of the DB's turning into a strength.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify better, you really never mix pessimism and optimism in same post. So it is sugar free kool aid.

I know I am always looked at as the guy who has nothing good to say about the Lions, but truthfully, it is only because the negatives about the Lions are what we really talk about. There is no reason to talk about the positives, as they don't need to be fixed.

I know the Lions have the best WR in football, one of the best young QBs, a great tandem of DT's and should have a solid backfield with the addition of Bush to pair with LeShoure. With the addition of Quin to pair with Delmas -- it gives them two quality Safeties and if Slay can shore up the opposite side of Houston -- Detroit will solid in the secondary.

Detroit still has a lot of question marks at OL, DE, WR (only because of the injuries to Burleson and Broyles last year) and OLB. The only position out of those 4 though that they don't have someone young they drafted is the OLB vacated by Durant. The rest they players with potential, who could possibly be better than the guys they replaced. As I've said many times though -- potential isn't production, so that is why some of those spots still scare me.

I think Detroit will have a solid season, but nothing to write home about. I think they will finish in the 7-9 to 9-7 range. I think it will honestly come down to if the Defense is able to help out the Offense this year, by forcing turnovers and if the Offense can help the defense by being able to run the ball better.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustME... truthfully you scared the hell out of me. After listening to you for quite some time. I can almost see some Kool Aid in those thoughts. Not that they are all sunbeams by no means.

I think the birth of my son has softened me up a bit. Either that or I am so sleep deprived that the holes on the Lions going into this season don't look as bad as I first thought. LOL.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the buzz like among the fanbase? Major excitement or enthusiasm tempered with skepticism?

Speaking for myself, mixed feeling... On one hand the NFL is a business the Lions aren't meant to win because the Lions franchise has a small fan base. On the other hand I always have HIGH hopes before the season starts only to get my heart broken somewhere during the season. With that being said... the foundation is there for the Lions to be successful. I don't view the 2011 season as a fluke, they won the games they could even if it wasn't against playoff teams. The 2012 season has "TAKEN A DIVE(your boxer avatar)" written all over it, the signs were there!! So in conclusion with this being a 50th year anniversary for William Clay Ford as owner and a feeling Mayhew and Schwartz have a bug to succeed in Detroit I'm looking forward to this season with WCF having 1 playoff win under his belt.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont remember how often I agreed with Mike D at CBS, but lately I find I have been seeing him as one of the more logical fans. The average fan likes to place all the fans in the positive or negative groups. There are a few who are neither. A few who look at the Lions and try to judge them according to what they see and know and not just out of past feelings or hopes.

I dont think the 10 win season was a fluke, but more of a twist. I called for them to win 10 games that year. Only I expected a better team and not one that got lucky with a bunch of late minute wins. That season taught me something. The Lions offense is dependent on the big play. They rarely move the ball down field in a consistent manner. They too often lose on 3rd or 4th and shorts. Not because of how the talent is dispersed but because of the scheme they stick to.

Last year the Lions won only 4 games. That was a fluke. They are a more talented team than that. But again, they had the same schemes and when defenses took the big play away, Schwartz and Crew never had any answers. They continued with the same scheme and lost far more than they should have.

This year I believe the Lions have the talent potential to be a Superbowl team. They have a lot of inexperience though and again, they have the same schemes (to my knowledge), and the same coaches.

I am not a Schwartz fan. He has not done anything special to win me over. I have seen far more to dislike than to like. 10 wins wont change that unless I see him make changes that leads to the 10 wins. He needs to show me he can actually coach.

I see the Lions winning 8 games this year right now. If they make certain changes in the schemes that I hope for, I will raise that. If Slay and Ansah show they are rookies and have problems growing? The wins go down.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The average fan likes to place all the fans in the positive or negative groups. There are a few who are neither. A few who look at the Lions and try to judge them according to what they see and know and not just out of past feelings or hopes.

That last part about judging the Lions based on past feelings or hopes is where I really struggle.

When something that I feel is positive happens (for example our recent draft) I have moments of optimism where I allow myself to get a little excited and maybe even allow a tiny bit of hope to enter the equation. I'm sure my momentary optimism confuses the "average" fan who wants to place me solidly and permanently into the "negative" group.

But here's the thing. It's not that I'm bipolar. My faith simply waivers.

As time passes, and I move further away from whatever that little bit of positivity was that existed, I fall off the wagon. My emotions regress to what is familiar. And when it comes to sports (especially the Lions) I'm conditioned to know only pain and suffering. The past feelings and crushed hopes take over. And I become bitter and venomous all over again.

So, I can be thrilled in late April after the draft. But 3 months later, even though nothing new has happened other than time passing, my entire outlook about the draft, and the team, and next season will have changed. I won't be able to imagine anything good happening.

If you had asked me on April 30th I would have predicted 10 wins next year!!!

Right now I would say 7-8 wins.

Ask me on August first and I will probably say 3-4 wins.

Hell, on opening day I'll probably say we are going winless.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/There are really only 2 types of Lions fans and it's pretty much split down the middle.

1) Eternally pessimistic aka the "Same old Lions club": usually these fans are about 40-45 years old and older. No matter what the Lions do, who they draft, who they hire, who they fire, who they scout, it's all a huge fucking mistake. These fans want to replace Matthew Stafford every other week, cut Suh every time the media shits on him, and suggests the Lions trade Calvin Johnson for multiple draft picks every single fucking off-season. Sometimes these same fans claim to be "Lions free" after swearing to God they've have watched their last Lions game about 8 times a year. These fans make up of at least 50% of the fan base.

2) Eternally optimistic aka the "Lathered in Honolulu Blue and Silver buttered corn bread" fans. Every year the Lions are going 10-6 or better no matter who's coaching, or who's on the roster. These fans make up about 40% of the fan base.QUOTE]

I would think every fan is both. If you havent at some point sworn off this team before then I dont think you're a fan at all. But you will be right back rooting for them the following week. You're addicted and Detroit Lions football is your drug. Some weeks it's a good buzz and other weeks you are advised to avoid the Honolulu Blue acid because its one nasty trip.