• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Linehan takes elite OC skillz to Dallas

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Linehan - Unsigned Free Agent - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Cowboys are discussing hiring ex-Lions OC Scott Linehan as their offensive play-caller.
The Cowboys currently have Bill Callahan under contract as their offensive coordinator, but it sounds like Linehan is a candidate to replace him or reduce his role. Linehan has spent the last five seasons coordinating Detroit's offense and was let go with coach Jim Schwartz this offseason. In addition to drawing interest from Dallas, he also interviewed with the Ravens earlier this week and is considered a finalist for Baltimore's offensive coordinator job. Jan 24 - 6:41 PM

Hope they like 3 yard slants.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not as if the Lions Offense didn't have a lot of success. I just didn't like his lack of adjustments. I didn't like him going conservative with a small lead. Some of that could be Schwartz and some of that down the stretch could be because Stafford was turning the Fucking ball over too often.

I wanted him gone because it was always the same gameplan, same plays. Our offense did put up numbers with him though.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions fans can't have it both ways. Was he a great OC who put up numbers or were Calvin's record year and Stafford's record year piled up in "garbage time" as I heard every day here last year?

I do agree w you though. Lions used the same plays over and over, often in the same game no matter how the D was playing them. Usually wasn't until the 4th quarter when we were down did Linny start chucking it.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Linehan would do extremely well in Dallas. They have more than one competent WR. As much as we bitched about the guy what help did Titus Young, Broyles, Williams, or Thomas ever provide his passing attack. Instead he was expected to use a over the hill Burleson, Durham a guy lucky to be on the roster, and some guys fill in FA to round out his receiving corp.

I wonder what Stafford could have done with Bryant, Whitten, Williams, and Austin. CJ is great but when he is the only real threat it's hard to keep the opposing team honest.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not as if the Lions Offense didn't have a lot of success. I just didn't like his lack of adjustments. I didn't like him going conservative with a small lead. Some of that could be Schwartz and some of that down the stretch could be because Stafford was turning the Fucking ball over too often.

I wanted him gone because it was always the same gameplan, same plays. Our offense did put up numbers with him though.

Agree but maybe it's hard to adjust when you don't have guys that can say stretch the field. My biggest bitch is he didn't utilize Fauria but that may be Fauria's fault not Linehans. Pettigrew hands have been questionable and Bush got in Schwartz's doghouse for fumbling. So sometimes I think he had one hand tied behind his back.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thruthefog-i know you have appreciated linehan more than most. Care to toss in your two cents?

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions fans can't have it both ways. Was he a great OC who put up numbers or were Calvin's record year and Stafford's record year piled up in "garbage time" as I heard every day here last year?

I do agree w you though. Lions used the same plays over and over, often in the same game no matter how the D was playing them. Usually wasn't until the 4th quarter when we were down did Linny start chucking it.

Honestly, I barely remember 2011. The last two seasons, which kind of blend together into one long season for me, all but erased it from my memory. For that long season, Linehan was a poor OC. Poor game management; predictable and questionable play-calling; using CJ as a decoy as much as a weapon; too much empty backfield; no play-action; no rhythm, no tempo, no groove unless it was panic time in the 4th quarter. Otherwise, it struck me as lazy and disjointed. Way too many 3 & outs. Finally, Stafford regressed under his tutelage.

And at the times that I begin to question whether Lenihan should be getting the blame (as opposed to the players, Schwartz...), I remember the absolute atrocity that was his head coaching stint in St. Louis, where he took a team from the penthouse to the outhouse in record time. Has to be one of the worst coaching jobs in NFL history.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was shit. That is all.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas is still taking our trash. We can always depend on them to take our rejects.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Linehan would do extremely well in Dallas. They have more than one competent WR. As much as we bitched about the guy what help did Titus Young, Broyles, Williams, or Thomas ever provide his passing attack. Instead he was expected to use a over the hill Burleson, Durham a guy lucky to be on the roster, and some guys fill in FA to round out his receiving corp.

I wonder what Stafford could have done with Bryant, Whitten, Williams, and Austin. CJ is great but when he is the only real threat it's hard to keep the opposing team honest.

I think bringing in Linehan and demoting Callahan to OL coach is a collassally bad idea. I can see Romo getting his head torn off because the O-line decides not to block.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he had used present tense instead of past tense, I wouldn't be able to.

Very true, good eye. Perhaps he was implying that he may resurrect his career in dallas? Well shit have fun with des bryant, ha.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the Dallas offense will look good in the first half of the season, and in the first half of games.

Last edited by a moderator:

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never adjusted his play calling or scheme. Not from half to half and not from game to game, and not even from year to year. Opposing players twice made comments this year to that same fact as why they came from behind to beat us.

His offense was not good at all. He had great passing yards because we have a QB qith some talent and a big arm and the best WR in the NFL. Great players made great plays in 2011. In 2012, defenses dropped the safeties back and took away the big play, and Linehan never found a way to beat it. In 2013, Bush was a "threat" from the back field and forced defenses to play a little more honest. They could only double up Calvin and not triple him very often. That allowed Calvin to make great plays again. But when was the last time you were confident in the Lions to run the ball on 3rd and short? His scheme was a pass happy one sided affair that was almost anti-run. The only time the run game was good was when the pass game was great. When Calvin wasnt in, they couldnt run or pass hardly. He plain sucked IMO and I have been saying it for 2.5 years now.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they weren't Cowboys fans, I'd feel sorry for them.