• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

let's get a head start on overreaction Monday.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets were out-tebowed with Kaepernick (no, I am not saying Kaep is Tebow, just that we used our current backup in both runs and pass). Then, the Giants out-Smithed us like the Vikings. If you were to ask me out of Smith and Manning who would have the 3 int day, I'd say Cutler, err, Manning. Manning had some good throws today, but it didn't seem he needed to.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets were out-tebowed with Kaepernick (no, I am not saying Kaep is Tebow, just that we used our current backup in both runs and pass). Then, the Giants out-Smithed us like the Vikings. If you were to ask me out of Smith and Manning who would have the 3 int day, I'd say Cutler, err, Manning. Manning had some good throws today, but it didn't seem he needed to.

I gotta say I disagree with the comparison. Eli has been far more clutch and consistent than Cutler for a couple seasons now.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem to me came from the coaching staff. They started pressing in the 3rd quarter down 17-3 instead of sticking to what works for us. They really got away from running the ball, and we became very predictable on offense for the Giants.

Roman also out played himself by over using Kaepernick.

I also had a problem with not letting Jacobs suit up for this game. If there was a ever game he probably wanted to run hard and hit people you would think this is the game.

but anyway we lost because after the 2nd quarter we got away from doing what wins games for us, and we let the Giants dictate the play of the game.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. I think Alex over-estimated what he can do with a sprained finger. His velocity was even lower than usual today IMO. Alex made Drew Brees look like he has a cannon today.

This 49er team is not like the powerhouses of the 80s and 90s. Back then they could beat teams without even being sharp. There were some teams that no matter what they did, they weren't going to beat the Niners. This team can beat anybody but they need to play mistake-free ball. A couple of turnovers and they are toast.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. I think Alex over-estimated what he can do with a sprained finger. His velocity was even lower than usual today IMO. Alex made Drew Brees look like he has a cannon today.

This 49er team is not like the powerhouses of the 80s and 90s. Back then they could beat teams without even being sharp. There were some teams that no matter what they did, they weren't going to beat the Niners. This team can beat anybody but they need to play mistake-free ball. A couple of turnovers and they are toast.

Your comment about the teams of the '80's and '90's is profoundly accurate - no surprise. Smith showed no signs of being affected by his finger and was throwing the ball with all the velocity he ever has he was just making stupid mistakes.

And, to your point about mistakes, not only can we not make any, certainly against a good opponent, but we often need the other team to make mistakes in order to win.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Schaub isn't anywhere near being an "elite" quarterback.

Oh wait, this isn't the Texans board..

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comment raised my eyebrows. Not so much the message but the source...

:jaw:

i wanna win, i have a major issue with the bad decision making. the vikings game was one thing, but smith was making throws he shouldn't be making.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your comment about the teams of the '80's and '90's is profoundly accurate - no surprise. Smith showed no signs of being affected by his finger and was throwing the ball with all the velocity he ever has he was just making stupid mistakes.

And, to your point about mistakes, not only can we not make any, certainly against a good opponent, but we often need the other team to make mistakes in order to win.

his longer throws seemed to have a lot more air under the throws than usual.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say I disagree with the comparison. Eli has been far more clutch and consistent than Cutler for a couple seasons now.

Oops, I didn't mean to compare them. I was jokingly saying that I would expect Cutler to throw three INTs more than Smith, and then corrected myself to say Manning, because he was the opposing QB to Smith who I wouldn't have guessed a 3 INT day from. I didn't mean that I thought Manning was an INT machine. Honestly though, I didn't expect more than a one INT day for Smith. I expected Eli's stats for Smith.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his longer throws seemed to have a lot more air under the throws than usual.

He only threw 3 deeps - the INT (Walker), the INC (Manningham) and the COMP to Moss. - Smith has always had an arc to his deeps. To say if his throws yesterday had any more or less of an arc is tough to say. But, his outs, hooks, curls had his usual velocity.

Now one thing we had yesterday that we haven't had before is contrast with Kaps arm. Kaepernick has noticeably more velocity than Smith, although I don't know if the ball necessarily arrives any quicker due to his wind-up.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. I forgot to add that. The Niners won the turnover battle by some huge margin last year and yet way to many of their games came down to a play or two at the end. At 4 and 2 though I have this group exactly where I thought they'd be after 6 games.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I forgot to add that. The Niners won the turnover battle by some huge margin last year and yet way to many of their games came down to a play or two at the end. At 4 and 2 though I have this group exactly where I thought they'd be after 6 games.

Agreed! I think we are going to learn something about our team come this Thrusday night.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed! I think we are going to learn something about our team come this Thrusday night.

I'm normally very cautious about predicting 49er victories but I think they will win this game and they'll make Wilson look bad. I'm going with 20-10 49ers.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only threw 3 deeps - the INT (Walker), the INC (Manningham) and the COMP to Moss. - Smith has always had an arc to his deeps. To say if his throws yesterday had any more or less of an arc is tough to say. But, his outs, hooks, curls had his usual velocity.

Now one thing we had yesterday that we haven't had before is contrast with Kaps arm. Kaepernick has noticeably more velocity than Smith, although I don't know if the ball necessarily arrives any quicker due to his wind-up.

noticeably? kap throws fucking heat seeking missiles that defenders can't even catch.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have a point about the windup, but there's no doubt that balls arrive there quicker. Kap's arm more than makes up for his windup. He has a top-5 arm in the entire NFL.

The only thing that concerns about his windup is when DEs are using the speed rush around the edges they might be able to knock the ball out when he's winding up a little more than they would when Alex in the pocket.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Kaep gets rid of the ball quicker than Alex because he doesn't have to throw all of his weight behind his passes. Alex stepping into his throws (and slow windup) is why it takes him so long to release the ball.

This is something I saw when he was in college. It never got any better.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a point about the windup, but there's no doubt that balls arrive there quicker. Kap's arm more than makes up for his windup. He has a top-5 arm in the entire NFL.

The only thing that concerns about his windup is when DEs are using the speed rush around the edges they might be able to knock the ball out when he's winding up a little more than they would when Alex in the pocket.

I just watched the game again, and I have to agree, his velocity more than makes up for his slow wind-up. Top five arm? I easily agree with that. The kid has a cannon no doubt.

I would also agree his wind-up could be a liability for fumbles; but, another attribute I noticed is Kap appears to have better pocket presence than Smith. If that is true, that may help offset the liability of a speed rusher a little or even a lot.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the game again, and I have to agree, his velocity more than makes up for his slow wind-up. Top five arm? I easily agree with that. The kid has a cannon no doubt.

I would also agree his wind-up could be a liability for fumbles; but, another attribute I noticed is Kap appears to have better pocket presence than Smith. If that is true, that may help offset the liability of a speed rusher a little or even a lot.

with the velocity, the windup isn't slow enough for corners to jump a pass. the windup could be a problem when it comes to the pass rush getting to him.