• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

League-wide attendance

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, because I have no life, I tracked all 30 teams attendance from the first home game to the second. This was prompted by Kuip talking about 70k at the Indian home opener and then they'd be lucky to get 15k for game two.

I thought that would be a good proxy to measure fan bases. Certainly, it's not terribly scientific and doesn't take into account stadium size, weather or opponent. But, it would explain at least part of fan loyalty as no team is out of it by their second home game. In short, interest should still be relatively high.

As a percent of capacity, the home opener ranged from 109.2% (Detroit) to 90.7% (Minnesota). The median attendance was almost exactly 100.0%. In other words, the average team was completely sold out for opening day.

For the second game, the attendance ranged from 98.2% (Giants) to 26.2% (White Sox). The median was 66.8%. So the average team lost a third of its crowd from Opening Day to game 2.

What I found most interesting was the delta between the two days. Every team lost some of the attendance, and it ranged from -1.3% (Angels) to -65.9% (White Sox). Giants came in at #2 (-2.4%)

Rest of top ten: Bos, Tor, Lad, Was, Stl, Cin, Chc, SD
Bottom ten, reverse order: Cws, Cle, Sea, Ari, Oak, TB, Mil, Mia, Atl, KC

Conclusions: Rally Monkey, Giants, and Dead Sux have incredible fan bases. The White Sox, Indians, Ms, and Snakes are understandably poorly followed given their recent suckage. The A'ss, Rays, and Braves have terrible fan bases. The Blue Jays and Padres are surprisingly well followed.